Stokes and Greenfield Tonight

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Sad to watch UConn and Stanford tonight and see Stokes and Greenfield riding the pine. What a waste. I get the reasons and dont blame them, but should be a lesson for other Iowa talent to really go where you are wanted and needed and not be dazzled by the pretty girl late to the dance.

On an aside, think All American Mosqueda Lewis broke her arm and is gone for the season.

cloneteach

Nov 19, 2009
I understand it sucks for the in-state schools but that doesn't mean it sucks for them. It can be and sometimes should be more than just playing time.

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
For WBB I can't fault anybody for going to Stanford. When the best of the best that can go pro don't make more than a business professional that Stanford education would have to be pretty attractive...

As much as I love the Clones and would go in a heartbeat no matter who offered me, I can't say it with as much conviction for the female athletes...

clones26

Nov 8, 2006
Urbandale
Greenfield is hurt...and IT IS STANFORD so she's got that going of her. Stokes is doing just fine as role player winning a championship ring as previously stated

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Sad to watch UConn and Stanford tonight and see Stokes and Greenfield riding the pine. What a waste. I get the reasons and dont blame them, but should be a lesson for other Iowa talent to really go where you are wanted and needed and not be dazzled by the pretty girl late to the dance.

On an aside, think All American Mosqueda Lewis broke her arm and is gone for the season.

I guess some people didn't read the bolded. Like I don't understand their reasons. I just think sometimes it is shame that some players who could be a star somewhere else, are bench players somewhere else. And it happens too much in WBB because of the 15 schollies (which Tara V. usually maxes out).

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
I guess some people didn't read the bolded. Like I don't understand their reasons. I just think sometimes it is shame that some players who could be a star somewhere else, are bench players somewhere else. And it happens too much in WBB because of the 15 schollies (which Tara V. usually maxes out).

My posts was in your reference to "being a waste" or a "lesson". I just don't see that at all with what they are experiencing. These two knew what was in store and maybe didn't need to be the star. ISU is a great school and has a awesome WBB program...but I am sure Greenfield and Stokes are quite happy with their choice as will other top talent that leaves the state.

Last edited:

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Stokes didn't exactly ride the pine last night. 24 minutes, 10 points, 13 rebounds, 6 blocks.

True. But, most of her time was in result of Breanna Stewart being in foul trouble most of the game, and Mosqueda Lewis being injured most of the second half.

Last edited:

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
OT: I live near Greg Stokes. He is a nice guy. But it sure is funny seeing him cram his 6-10 frame onto a Forrest Gump mower.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
My posts was in your reference to "being a waste" or a "lesson". I just don't see that at all with what they are experiencing. These two knew what was in store and maybe didn't need to be the star. ISU is a great school and has a awesome WBB program...but I am sure Greenfield and Stokes are quite happy with their choice as will other top talent that leaves the state.

Sorry, but I do think it is a waste to see such talent sit.

I'm not banging my chest about they should have come to ISU, and should know that I was one who defended their decisions, but to me, as a WBB fan of the whole sport, not just ISU, I am frustrated that there are some schools that fill their rosters with top flight kids who might never play, but would start somewhere else, and elevate the sport as a whole. WBB needs to have its scholly amount lowered.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

I'm not banging my chest about they should have come to ISU, and should know that I was one who defended their decisions, but to me, as a WBB fan of the whole sport, not just ISU, I am frustrated that there are some schools that fill their rosters with top flight kids who might never play, but would start somewhere else, and elevate the sport as a whole. WBB needs to have its scholly amount lowered.

Completely agree with this sentiment. Why they can't get by with the 12 of the men evades me. If anything, modern D-1 basketball (both M and W) use rotations maybe 7-8 deep, and you're always going to need a few extra spots for "developmental" players for practice or depth in case of injuries. So 10-12 is obviously plenty in my eyes for either gender.

I suppose the "net 3" from basketball in Title IX terms helps "balance" from football, though.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA

Agree...

EHdakota

Jun 16, 2008
Sioux Falls
When TG was a sophomore in HS, I heard from a reputable source that she was 90% going to ISU. Then it dropped to 50/50 a year later. I am sure the reason for the decline of interest was that she was hearing what it is like in the lockerroom, and a late night phone call sealed the decision.