Next Year...random thoughts

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

TDclones

Nov 29, 2006
Once again I hear the famous words "just wait for next year, we'll be better...take our lumps this year and then look out for us next season".

I understand we are young and we have had a lot of injuries but I am not buying we will be better next year. Every team has injuries they have to deal with so no pity pool here. This is a down year in the Big 12 conference and if this is a down year, that means every other team is looking forward to next year also. If anything, this is the year to make a run in the conference. If we only can muster 1-2 wins this year, what says we can better that record next year? I just don't see it.

I have been a season ticket holder for many years now. In that time frame, I have seen every school in our conference be a national contender in football except one school, Iowa State. Why???? I don't understand it.

By the way I thought it was very ironic that our QB was the one who threw the bad pass that ended the game Saturday.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
Once again I hear the famous words "just wait for next year, we'll be better...take our lumps this year and then look out for us next season".

I understand we are young and we have had a lot of injuries but I am not buying we will be better next year. Every team has injuries they have to deal with so no pity pool here. This is a down year in the Big 12 conference and if this is a down year, that means every other team is looking forward to next year also. If anything, this is the year to make a run in the conference. If we only can muster 1-2 wins this year, what says we can better that record next year? I just don't see it.

I have been a season ticket holder for many years now. In that time frame, I have seen every school in our conference be a national contender in football except one school, Iowa State. Why???? I don't understand it.

By the way I thought it was very ironic that our QB was the one who threw the bad pass that ended the game Saturday.

You're countering your own argument here.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
I agree. Hope I'm wrong, but have to say I'm a little concerned as teams like Texas, TCU, Oklahoma, Kansas State, West Virginia look to improve over what are sort of down seasons and Baylor and Oklahoma State continue to get better and better. Tech looks like their program is in an upswing with a hot young coach. I hear everyone saying we have all this new talent coming in, but would guess these teams have some of their own.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
When discussing next year my biggest question (or, I guess curiosity) is how many teams in the B12 era have gone from 1-11 to a bowl game the next season?

sapstud

Oct 2, 2013
I have to say that unfortunately I completely agree with TDclones. In a year where a Texas team we took to the wire is undefeated in the Big 12 after having UT backers suggesting Mack Brown resign mid-season -- this would have been the year to make a run.

We are not going to win squat until we get better offensive line play -- though not a shock to the forum. We need to stop thinking that having a stable of running backs or receivers is going to make the difference in our ability to win games.

Let us not forget the team in early August the team on the other side of the state was picked to win just 2 games and did not know who their starting QB was for week 1. They dominate the line of scrimmage and their QB is serviceable enough to get the team to its 6th win and bowl eligibility over the weekend.

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
Cancel your seats. Problem solved. Take the memories of all those riveting seasons you had season tickets and just be happy with those.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
When discussing next year my biggest question (or, I guess curiosity) is how many teams in the B12 era have gone from 1-11 to a bowl game the next season?

Would guess that number is a really low one, if any have done it. For perspective, from 2011 to 2012 (most recent data), 8 out of 58 BCS AQ teams had 4 or more additional wins than they did the previous year, most aided by a bowl win. 6 of the 8 had new coaches in the previous couple years:

• Arizona had 4 more wins in Rich Rod's 2nd year
  • Florida had 4 more wins in Muschamp's 2nd year
  • Ole Miss had 5 more wins in Freeze's 1st year
  • Texas A&M had 4 more wins in Sumlin's 1st year (Manziel helped as well)
  • Louisville had 4 more wins in Charlie Strong's 3rd year
  • Ohio State had 6 more wins in Urb's 1st year

The only two teams that had 4 or more additional wins without a coaching change were:

• Northwestern won 4 more games. Helped to lose Ohio State and Wisconsin from schedule and win a bowl game
  • Oregon State had 6 more wins

The only one of these that had less than 4 wins the first of these years was Ole Miss, which went from 2-10 to 7-6 with the help of a bowl win. So, you are correct-it is rare to go from 1-2 wins to a bowl game.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Next year we will probably be bad again and the excuse posters will talk about how they knew next year was going to be really bad and people are idiots if they expected 6 wins. Also, injuries and inexperience will probably be a factor again. Then we will be saying wait till 2015 when Lazard is a sophomore!

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

We can't be worse so odds are in our favor

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Would guess that number is a really low one, if any have done it. For perspective, from 2011 to 2012 (most recent data), 8 out of 58 BCS AQ teams had 4 or more additional wins than they did the previous year, most aided by a bowl win. 6 of the 8 had new coaches in the previous couple years:

• Arizona had 4 more wins in Rich Rod's 2nd year
  • Florida had 4 more wins in Muschamp's 2nd year
  • Ole Miss had 5 more wins in Freeze's 1st year
  • Texas A&M had 4 more wins in Sumlin's 1st year (Manziel helped as well)
  • Louisville had 4 more wins in Charlie Strong's 3rd year
  • Ohio State had 6 more wins in Urb's 1st year

The only two teams that had 4 or more additional wins without a coaching change were:

• Northwestern won 4 more games. Helped to lose Ohio State and Wisconsin from schedule and win a bowl game
  • Oregon State had 6 more wins

The only one of these that had less than 4 wins the first of these years was Ole Miss, which went from 2-10 to 7-6 with the help of a bowl win. So, you are correct-it is rare to go from 1-2 wins to a bowl game.
Well, debby downer, thank you for setting us straight. Looking like four wins might be the ticket next year, especially since some braniac scheduled the FCS champion NDSU Bisons in the opening game and then we play in Iowa Sin City.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant

I know one team that did it.

Nevermind, that was 2-10 to a bowl game. I still think we have a chance of beating KU, though.

One great turnaround to look at this year is Auburn. They went from winning 3 games last year to only having 1 loss so far this year. They are still playing with the same players, just a better offensive mind at the helm. If we can get an OC who can actually run an offense, we can get a lot better next year.

Last edited:

Cyclonic1

Aug 7, 2012
Sun City, AZ
I know one team that did it.

Nevermind, that was 2-10 to a bowl game. I still think we have a chance of beating KU, though.

One great turnaround to look at this year is Auburn. They went from winning 3 games last year to only having 1 loss so far this year. They are still playing with the same players, just a better offensive mind at the helm. If we can get an OC who can actually run an offense, we can get a lot better next year.

Only if that new OC brings a few large, talented and healthy O linemen with him

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA

As opposed to the running back?

I'm not sure its much of a down year. Oklahoma may not be very good, but Baylor has taken their place as a top 5 team. OSU, Texas, Texas Tech and KSU are all top 25 caliber teams.

No, every team has not had the number of injuries we have, especially on offense.

If you don't think we will be better next year, answer this: Why are we worse this year than last?

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
Why do we have to win 6 games for us to be better? Won't 4-5 make us significantly better?

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
I think a change in coaching on offense has the potential to get us 2-3 more wins. Fewer injuries could add 1-2 more. And, we just haven't had much luck on our side this year. It all adds up. I think TCU was a very winnable game with our current players if we were playing with more confidence. This year's team has too many penalties and a lack of execution. I don't see a significant improvement without different coaches on offense.