Even after the OU Curb Stomp next Saturday...

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA
there still will be hope for the Cyclones. Yeah, I'm poking my head up and exposing myself as a "dreamer", but I look at not only this group of talent, I'm also including the next recruiting classes. I like what I see. I really do believe there will be significant improvement in play next season that will be reflected in the W-L record even if it's only 4-5 wins. Who'll be calling the plays on offense is anyone's guess, but I think the OL will stay mostly intact allowing for far more consistency in their quality of play. The injury bug won't bite the team nearly as hard next year I believe. This season has to be an anomaly, not the norm. We fanatics gotta be patient, we have no other choice. If you don't like what you see, well you know what not to do.

Reactions: CycloneVet

Londo

Apr 22, 2013
Wisconsin
I don't know about most other posters, but if we were able to win in Norman next weekend and beat Kansas or WVU, I wouldn't consider this season a total disaster. Obviously we have quite a few issues that need to be ironed out, but most of our young team is still playing hard. By no means am I predicting a win or a close game, but I'm not just going to write this game off as a definite loss.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I can't for the life of me understand how someone thought this would be a good year. If you thought that coming into this year, that's on you
Well there's good years, and bad years, and then there's 1 win seasons.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
I can't for the life of me understand how someone thought this would be a good year. If you thought that coming into this year, that's on you

I thought it would be a good year because I thought the offense would be substantially better. I guess I was wrong.

Yes13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Again, with some good coaching we could still be playing for a bowl game.

I don't get why you guys think ripping on the players is ok (saying we were going to suck anyway, which isn't true), but ripping on the coaches means you're a bad fan.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
Again, with some good coaching we could still be playing for a bowl game.

I don't get why you guys think ripping on the players is ok (saying we were going to suck anyway, which isn't true), but ripping on the coaches means you're a bad fan.

Wait, so we don't suck?

And who is ripping on players? Admitting that it could be a difficult season because we have a young and inexperienced team is not ripping on players at all.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
I can't for the life of me understand how you thought 1-11 could happen.

WE ARE NOT 1-11. Sure it helps your argument to pretend we are but we have games left. One is against team that is even worse than us and its at home. Frickin stop already.

I thought we'd get 4 wins this. Silly me for not foreseeing the worst injury plagued year I've ever seen and the refs flat out stealing a game against Texas. Shucks, I'll probably be a game or two off.

Last edited:
Reactions: CycloneVet

Yes13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Wait, so we don't suck?

And who is ripping on players? Admitting that it could be a difficult season because we have a young and inexperienced team is not ripping on players at all.
We could easily be at 4 wins with decent offensive coaching. So we probably shouldn't suck as much as we do.

I think saying, oh this wasn't going to be a good year anyway is saying "oh the players aren't good anyway". And its an easy way to bail out the coaching staff, while throwing the players under the bus, aka pulling a Messingham.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
We could easily be at 4 wins with decent offensive coaching. So we probably shouldn't suck as much as we do.

I think saying, oh this wasn't going to be a good year anyway is saying "oh the players aren't good anyway". And its an easy way to bail out the coaching staff, while throwing the players under the bus, aka pulling a Messingham.

Admitting we have a young and inexperienced team isn't anywhere close to the same thing as saying said players aren't good.

I agree that we could possibly have 4 wins by now with better offensive coaching. The talent on the offensive side of the ball is not equalling production right now and Rhoads knows it. I really don't think there is any need to worry that staffing problems won't be fixed next year.

Yes13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Admitting we have a young and inexperienced team isn't anywhere close to the same thing as saying said players aren't good.

I agree that we could possibly have 4 wins by now with better offensive coaching. The talent on the offensive side of the ball is not equalling production right now and Rhoads knows it. I really don't think there is any need to worry that staffing problems won't be fixed next year.
I hope so, but name one coach Rhoads has fired.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
I hope so, but name one coach Rhoads has fired.

There hasn't been a need to get rid of anybody until now. Our weakest coaches, Wells and Herman, were gone after the seasons they had worn out their welcome.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
WE ARE NOT 1-11. Sure it helps your argument to pretend we are but we have games left. One is against team that is even worse than us and its at home. Frickin stop already.

I thought we'd get 4 wins this. Silly me for not foreseeing the worst injury plagued year I've ever seen and the refs flat out stealing a game against Texas. Shucks, I'll probably be a game or two off.
4 wins still sucks.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa

We aren't 1-11 yet but we are well on our way. 2-10 is our ceiling if we can muster a win against a bad Kansas team that could very well be favored when the come to JTS in 2 weeks.

TensasCy

Mar 24, 2012
Sure but if you expected more with the talent of this team being young and inexperienced, hopefully you learned something.

Yes, agreed. A loyal and true Cyclone should keep his expectations low, so as to not be disappointed. If we had won five games this year, the right thing to do would have been to forfeit one of them.