Punt Returns

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
Albert Gary. Why is he returning kicks? I don't like to hate on the kid, but he is not explosive at all and he showed today that he isn't reliable enough to be a kick returner either. I know West is hurt, but don't we have better options?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: AdamJGray

CYme

Dec 6, 2011
Pella, IA
Re: Albert Gary

I would guess we see Nealy or Coleman back there next week.

Seems like Mess is making the calls on ST as well.:jimlad:

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Not going to hate on Gary, but returning kicks and punts is definitely not his thing. Too bad the coaches can't see that. He must be impressive in practice, like QB allegedly was at the beginning of the year. It would be one thing if he was really impressive with his returns, but right now you got a guy that is scary when catching the punt and then not doing anything with it when he does field it clean.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I just hate hate hate having only one guy back there. With two you at least have the chance the other guy might recover if it is mishandled. Again, I know nothing about football, but I hate the way we receive punts.

cyclonez7

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Gary is terrible at fielding punts. Coleman should take over for the rest of the season.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I just hate hate hate having only one guy back there. With two you at least have the chance the other guy might recover if it is mishandled. Again, I know nothing about football, but I hate the way we receive punts.

Understand what you are saying but honestly how many non-high school teams have you seen use 2 deep punt returners?

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Understand what you are saying but honestly how many non-high school teams have you seen use 2 deep punt returners?

What's the point of having the player half way up - between the one guy back and the LOS? Like I said, I know nothing about the finer points of football. If it's a short punt is he supposed to fair catch it? Why not just let it bounce and have him back where the deep guy is?

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
What's the point of having the player half way up - between the one guy back and the LOS? Like I said, I know nothing about the finer points of football. If it's a short punt is he supposed to fair catch it? Why not just let it bounce and have him back where the deep guy is?
1. Catch a short punt instead of letting it roll for 20 yards with no return
2. Set up the return if a gunner gets loose so he doesn't have a free shot at your returner
3. Safety valve on a fake

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Albert Gary. Why is he returning kicks? I don't like to hate on the kid, but he is not explosive at all and he showed today that he isn't reliable enough to be a kick returner either. I know West is hurt, but don't we have better options?

Agree. Prime example of questionable calls by this coaching staff.

ISU_Clone_28

Mar 27, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
Not going to hate on Gary, but returning kicks and punts is definitely not his thing. Too bad the coaches can't see that. He must be impressive in practice, like QB allegedly was at the beginning of the year. It would be one thing if he was really impressive with his returns, but right now you got a guy that is scary when catching the punt and then not doing anything with it when he does field it clean.

Maybe the reason all these guys look impressive in practice is because they are going against us. I mean, who hasn't looked good this season against us.

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
Gary's fumble really hurt yesterday, TCU scored right after it. Then he almost dropped another. Yikes. Tough day for that guy.