Richardson Should Be QB

mitya51

Oct 9, 2012
With all the trouble throwing a QB battle into the mix doesn't seem like the answer. It's the wrong focal point and it bothers me. Sam Richardson has proven that he has the talent. Benching him won't save the season and wastes experience building opportunity. Unless we land some incredible JUCO QB you know he will be QB next year. Unless he is taking a break to get healthy, which doesn't seem like the case, I think they should stick with Richardson.

ISU4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008

CYme

Dec 6, 2011
Pella, IA
2013 Big 12 College Football Individual Statistics Leaders for Passing - ESPN

6th in total yards and tied for 3rd in TD's while being sacked 2-3 times more than any other QB in league play. All of this playing hurt. Everyone has their own definition of talent but I think he does have some.

While I do agree there is more talent than some acknowledge, those stats need to be analyzed a little more. 6th in total yards while 2nd in attempts. At the bottom for yards/attempt and completion percentage. I feel he could be 4-5 in rating in the conference (8th now) with a consistent line and without the injury. Being able to say that our QB could be 4-5 in the conference as a sophomore is good in my book.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Adjusted QBR:
Petty: 93.6
Sams: 83.4
Webb: 80.2
Walsh: 74.9
McCoy: 73.1
Chelf: 71.3
Trickett: 67.2
Bell: 66.3
Richardson: 50.5
Waters: 48.0
Boykin: 33.1
Heaps: 23.1

Ouch.

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
I like Sam except for his 3rd down decision making. Takes off and runs too much in situations he has no chance to pick up the yardage and seems too willing to take sacks instead of trying to make a play. I understand you want to take care of the ball and avoid turnovers but you also need to make plays. Hard to judge him too harshly given our O-Line injuries but he's got plenty of room for improvement. Truth is, he probably shouldn't be starting right now as a RS Sophomore but after recruiting misses at the position he's the best we've got.

Not sure he's the problem or solution @ QB.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010

Given this team, he is far from the biggest problem that we have. I like Sam and I think that, if he gets healthy and continues to develop, he can make a solid starter for us in 2014 and 2015.

mitya51

Oct 9, 2012
I like Sam except for his 3rd down decision making. Takes off and runs too much in situations he has no chance to pick up the yardage and seems too willing to take sacks instead of trying to make a play. I understand you want to take care of the ball and avoid turnovers but you also need to make plays. Hard to judge him too harshly given our O-Line injuries but he's got plenty of room for improvement. Truth is, he probably shouldn't be starting right now as a RS Sophomore but after recruiting misses at the position he's the best we've got.

I think he showed much better decision making earlier in the season.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I honestly like what I've seen from SR. He has talent to be a top 3-5 QB in this league. At least before he graduates.

But i think grant rohach has the potential to be even better. Looks more solid in the pocket.

To no surprise to anyone on here, it frustrates me how so many cyclone fans on here are ready to abandon our OC, abandon our QBs, etc. We have some nice pieces to work with, and a shot at being pretty good in the next couple years.

It starts and ends with consistency with coaches and players. Building experience and leadership.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I honestly like what I've seen from SR. He has talent to be a top 3-5 QB in this league. At least before he graduates.

But i think grant rohach has the potential to be even better. Looks more solid in the pocket.

To no surprise to anyone on here, it frustrates me how so many cyclone fans on here are ready to abandon our OC, abandon our QBs, etc. We have some nice pieces to work with, and a shot at being pretty good in the next couple years.

It starts and ends with consistency with coaches and players. Building experience and leadership.

When I think of Mess, I do not think "nice piece."

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Looks like GR has the better arm and Sam has better wheels. This is tradeoff at this point. Neither one is setting the world on fire this year. Training for next year.

Last edited:

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
When I think of Mess, I do not think "nice piece."

I guess everyone has a right to their own opinions.

I can't tell you guys how much I'd like to see a fully healthy quarterback playing behind a fully healthy line that's had a chance to gel together...

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
I like Sam except for his 3rd down decision making. Takes off and runs too much in situations he has no chance to pick up the yardage and seems too willing to take sacks instead of trying to make a play. I understand you want to take care of the ball and avoid turnovers but you also need to make plays.

I think he showed much better decision making earlier in the season.

I think this is the strongest evidence that the coaching has failed that position group. I agree entirely that SR seems out of sorts on 3rd down plays. He's become a bit of a hot mess (pun intended) on such plays. But he seemed to be a much better decision-maker/play-maker earlier in his short career. Now he seems to panic- flushes too early only to be tackled short; holds it too long only to be sacked; or throws off target. What happened?