Friday QOTW 11/8 - Why does your life suck?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I'm a little down today so it's gonna get real depressing in here. Just get an onion ready to cut so your roommates don't see you crying for no reason.

Why does your life suck? Give us your sob story.

This is more of a support thread, so don't bash anyone please!

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
It is 6 months to the day that my father died from Colon Cancer... that's why I am down today.

But my whole abbreviated life story is:

• My mother left when I was 5.
  • My mother stole $1,000 from me when I was 9
  • My father had cancer from when I was 11-20.
  • My brother and sister both dropped out of high school and subsequently college
  • My brother and sister are drug addicts and constantly ask me for money
  • My brother and sister consistently try to kill themselves (They apparently suck at it, tried probably a dozen times each)
  • My niece died at 7 days old
  • I've had 3 gfs and all 3 have cheated on me.
  • Lost a wrestling scholarship because I tore my MCL
  • I am deaf in one ear due to ear surgeries when I was a kid

Now for the May 2012 - May 2013:

• May 2012 - 3rd gf cheated on me and I was stuck in downtown Chicago for a few days until my bus ticket could be used. I was too embarresed to tell my dad that another gf cheated on me.
  • May 2012 - Less than two weeks after that, I find out I have several polyps and a small tumor in my colon. Surgery follows in July.
  • Jun 2012 - Father gets hypothermia from experimental chemo treatment
  • July 2012 - surgery to remove tumor
  • Sept 2012 - Brother breaks up with his gf, tries to kill himself by driving his car down a ravine.
  • Oct 2012 - Father is dangerously ill, liver infection, jaundice, blood infection. Doctor said if he would've waited 10 more minutes to go to hospital, he would've died. "Lucky to see the new year, extremely lucky to see the spring" - Doctor
  • Mar 2013 - Father gets a scan, has brain tumor, still goes to work.
  • May 2013 - Father passes during finals week

That was a hellish year...

Nothing has really happened since then except I broke my foot the day after my health insurance expired and I failed a background check (got that resolved though).

<Rant>
Also it pisses me off when I say that I've been through a lot of stuff but some older people, like 30-40, say "You're only 20, you haven't been through anything".
</Rant>

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
It is 6 months to the day that my father died from Colon Cancer... that's why I am down today.

• My brother and sister both dropped out of high school and subsequently college
  • My brother and sister consistently try to kill themselves (They apparently suck at it, tried probably a dozen times each)

• May 2012 - 3rd gf cheated on me and I was stuck in downtown Chicago for a few days until my bus ticket could be used. I was too embarresed to tell my dad that another gf cheated on me.
  • May 2012 - Less than two weeks after that, I find out I have several polyps and a small tumor in my colon. Surgery follows in July.
  • Sept 2012 - Brother breaks up with his gf, tries to kill himself by driving his car down a ravine.
  • Oct 2012 - Father is dangerously ill, liver infection, jaundice, blood infection. Doctor said if he would've waited 10 more minutes to go to hospital, he would've died. "Lucky to see the new year, extremely lucky to see the spring" - Doctor

Nothing has really happened since then except I broke my foot the day after my health insurance expired and I failed a background check (got that resolved though).

<Rant>
Also it pisses me off when I say that I've been through a lot of stuff but some older people, like 30-40, say "You're only 20, you haven't been through anything".
</Rant>

Wow....I really hope 2014 goes better for you. That is way too much.

fsanford

Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles

<Rant>
</Rant>

This post pretty much killed the thread, after reading it, probably put lots people's lives in perspective that their lives are really not so bad. You are one strong individual.

Worst thing that happened to me is my mom died on my birthday. To top it off my flight was delayed 3 hours to get back to Iowa, got home 30 minutes after she passed, had the flight have been on time, would have got to see her 1 last time alive.

Last edited:

Ciclone

May 5, 2008
Clive
Man, I'm really sorry to hear about all of that. At least it seems like the bad things have started to taper off. Here's to things going in the positive direction soon.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Wow. Karma owes you about as much as it owes the Cyclones. I'm confident better times are ahead for you. Hang in there. Whenever I'm down I remember what I DO have. Things could always be worse. You could live in a war-plagued 3rd world country wondering if you'll be alive tomorrow.

That being said, I'm pretty poor between bills, an old vehicle, a wedding, & a new wife who's going back to school. $upporting ISU is pretty low on my list of priorities. Tell me you at least have financial security...

*Edit: Karma owes you more.

Last edited:

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
I tell my daughter "there's always someone worse off than you." If I told that to Cyclones2015, I think I'd be lying.

isufan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
SW Iowa

<Rant>
</Rant>

Wow, and I thought my life sucked because of the ISU football team. You sir have gone through a lot and I hope that you win the lottery soon, because your bad luck has to run out at some point.

CycloneRulzzz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
sorry to hear about all you have been through 2015. During my junior year of high school my mom found out she had breast cancer. Thankfully she beat it. In Feb. 2012 I lost my grandmother which sent me into a major depression that i'm still dealing with today.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I have gray chest hair down to about the middle of my chest. I'm also assuming that the hair on my head is gray but it doesn't matter since I've cut it on #1 since I was 18.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
This thread is probably a bad idea. Not sure what good comes out of it.

But sorry to hear about all the sadness in this thread. Lets hope getting it out there will be therapeutic

Reactions: ISUCubswin

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
The details of my life are quite inconsequential.

Same here. Yeah, I could tell some things that would make people feel bad for some of the things that happened to me growing up, but mostly I try to focus on the positives and the people who did good things for me when they probably didn't have to. Both family and non-family.

Above responses remind me of a favorite quote of a deceased friend, "I complained much because I had no shoes - until I met a man who had no feet."

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
I'm a little down today so it's gonna get real depressing in here. Just get an onion ready to cut so your roommates don't see you crying for no reason.

Why does your life suck? Give us your sob story.

Wow! it's has been a pretty bad year for ya.

This is more of a support thread, so don't bash anyone please!

Now, not to **** you off.... but I think when you are older and have had bad years such as this you can look back and reflect and say at the time, I really was in a deep dark place and man I felt bad. But when you are older and survived it you can say hey I made it and I'm stronger then I gave myself credit for. I can handle the **** life throws at me. It gives you a boost of confidence and you start to see the glass half full.

Just be happy that you had those 9 years or so with your pop after he was diagnosed.

The girls that cheated on you..... be glad you found out before you married one of them...

Your mom....... yea that is a pretty hard one to get over....... remember it probably didn't have anything to do with you, and that given she stole money from you, think of what you might have turned out had she had a big active influence on your life.... it just might have been for the better.

Trust me....

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

<Rant>
</Rant>

This post just made it impossible for the rest of us to complain about our jobs. Fight on, brother, and keep that head up!

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I've had some pretty terrible crap happen, but I agree with the others - you can't let it define you. You can't let it drag you down. You have to take it and carry on, use it to learn and grow. It's hard, and it sucks, but you really just have to say, "You know what? That sucked. And something is going to happen that sucks again. But I've got X, Y, and Z that are pretty frigging cool, so I'll focus on that."

Last edited:

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
4847956+_c6cf159840bff672994a2e9c6bfea0f7.jpg

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE
To get my spirits up from time to time I listen to a comedy album from Tig Notaro. It is Tig Notaro - Live. It is frickin brilliant and hilarious. I won't give any of it away but if she can keep her spirits up and a sense of humor about the hand she was dealt, it is hard to throw yourself a pity party. I believe it is available on Spotify. It is something like $5 on iTunes and well worth the price.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
sorry to hear about all that stuff 2015, makes mine look very small in comparison. Mostly girl issues for me atm.