Capital 106.3 already playing Christmas music

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
I've heard a lot of people complaining about this. I don't hate it as much as a lot of people do, but I have always been a firm believer that anything Christmas shouldn't start until after Thanksgiving.

Trying to read between the lines, I am thinking that they are hurting for ratings. They have seen how 104.1 has been successful with their 24/7 Christmas music after Thanksgiving, and they're trying to grab some of their listeners. I could be way off on this, but this was my initial thought behind this strategy

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I agree. My mom will be listening to this crap until it's finally all over. I'm not annoyed by it, but I typically do what I can to avoid it.

It makes it a lot better when you can hear it about a week before XMAS. Makes it a more exciting time.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Whatever happened to Frank Monroe? he was good to listen to. I miss the Sunday sunrise acoustic stuff they used to do. Now it feels like 107.5 crap half the time.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Not a fan of Christmas music, but it's probably because I have heard it so much growing up. My mom is one of those people that will start listening to it early November through Christmas.

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny
Advertisers soak it up and listeners (mostly women) love it. 106.3 was wise to get a head start on Lite 104 because once people start discover that 106.3 is already playing Christmas music, they aren't going to change the dial.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I've heard a lot of people complaining about this. I don't hate it as much as a lot of people do, but I have always been a firm believer that anything Christmas shouldn't start until after Thanksgiving.

Trying to read between the lines, I am thinking that they are hurting for ratings. They have seen how 104.1 has been successful with their 24/7 Christmas music after Thanksgiving, and they're trying to grab some of their listeners. I could be way off on this, but this was my initial thought behind this strategy

This is usually the case

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I tell Mrs. Velo the same thing. Years ago she put on a station with Christmas music before Thanksgiving. I asked her very politely to refrain from doing so. She has complied so we never turn it on (when I am around, at least) until the Friday after Thanksgiving. Then she has it on the car radio all the time. I think that she has found even with this rule she has had enough with the Christmas music by the end of December anyway.

I have the same rule with Christmas lights - none until after Thanksgiving. I may cheat and put a few of them up a little early if we are expecting bad weather because I really don't like being on my garage roof when it is icy. Even if they are up they aren't burning until after Turkey Day.

I didn't see it but a co-worker told me that she saw Christmas crap out at her Wal-Mart before the first of October. WTF!

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
This has been on 106.3 for at least a week now. I'm a firm believer in not even acknowledging Christmas until after Thanksgiving. My wife is already wanting to start our kids Christmas shopping. While I suppose I can see the advantage of spreading it out over a few paychecks, half the fun of Christmas is doing your shopping and other seasonal activities during the actual holiday season. She also wanted to hang lights last weekend. Again, maybe its practical to do it while it's warm but it's still too early for me.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
This has been on 106.3 for at least a week now. I'm a firm believer in not even acknowledging Christmas until after Thanksgiving. My wife is already wanting to start our kids Christmas shopping. While I suppose I can see the advantage of spreading it out over a few paychecks, half the fun of Christmas is doing your shopping and other seasonal activities during the actual holiday season. She also wanted to hang lights last weekend. Again, maybe its practical to do it while it's warm but it's still too early for me.

I'm with ya. My wife has already started to listening to it and I refuse. Our house still has some fall decorations up and I won't let her think about anything xmas until after Thanksgiving.

And I agree on the shopping. I may be in the minority on this but I don't mind going Christmas shopping for the kids. I will however refuse to drag it out. My wife and I do a date night/shopping day in December every year. It is hard core Xmas shopping for the kids until everything on our list is done and then we go out to eat and stay in a hotel that night. It's a little tradition for us so I will put up with a couple hours of insanity shopping to get a quiet relaxing night with her afterwards.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron