MLB: Cubs to hire Renteria.

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Who? What? Why? Hire another manager with NO managing experience? This franchise is going nowhere.
Rick Renteria to be hired as Chicago Cubs manager - ESPN Chicago

Tell me, who were we supposed to get? The market was pretty thin on managers with experience, much less experienced managers who were actually good. Eric Wedge made the playoffs exactly one time in his 10 years of managing in Cleveland and Seattle, and he went from 96 wins in 2007 to 97 losses in 2009. I'll pass.

BloodyBuddy

Mar 13, 2012
The cubs really screwed up with Sandberg. If you are gonna hire no-names, why not take a chance on him.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
My fellow cubs fans are over-reacting because its not a big name. I personally love the hire. No MLB managing experience, but has plenty of minor league managing and was Mexico's WBC manager. But that's not the point, he's widely known as a great teacher of the game for young players and is extremely well liked for his ability to help players adjust and develop when they get to the MLB. Plus he is bi-lingual. This is huge with the big time prospects about to get to wrigley. They need someone who can get them ready to play in the MLB, regardless of managing experience or not. He may or may not pan out in that aspect, but does it matter? Because if he does, you hit a home run, if he doesn't he gets replaced in 2 years when the young stars are now in place and transitioned to the MLB and then you bring in an experienced MLB manager who has been there before if Renteria struggles. It's an absolutely solid hire in my opinion. The guy comes with HUGE recommendations from all over baseball. That doesn't come easy.

Some of our fan base is just getting too antsy. This was always about a 5 year plan when Theo/Jed took over and you can see it working with the farm being arguably the best in baseball and the time frame has started to speed up a little with the unexpected rate at which Baez and Bryant are going to exit the system and graduate to the bigs with Soler and Almora right on their heels. Now that a few arms have started to emerge (Edwards, Johnson, etc.) it's looking extremely bright right now.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I have no problem with the hire at all as long as the front office supports this guy to the fullest! Every manager has to have a first experience...that doesn't inherently make this guy a bad hire. Sounds like there have been a lot of positive comments made about this guy...I say good for the Cubs...as long as they support him! I felt they hung Sveum out to dry a bit this past season...manager and front office need to be on the same page and that wasn't the case this past season in Wrigley.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
It's sabermetrics, Baby. Or...what cycloneman003 said. In two years, the entire infield except Rizzo and at least 2 of the outfield spots will be young, latin ball players. Renteria will prove to be a solid hire.

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA
Who? What? Why? Hire another manager with NO managing experience? This franchise is going nowhere.
Rick Renteria to be hired as Chicago Cubs manager - ESPN Chicago

The talk consistently has been around Ausmus and Renteria since Girardi re-signed with the Yankees. Since Ausmus (my 2nd choice) went to the Tigers, the only one left the Cubs were seriously considering was Renteria. This hire is a wait and see thing, although all the buzz surrounding him point to a guy who builds positive relationships with players while holding them accountable for their on-field performance. This one could actually work.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I think Sandberg would be a great coach for a talented team, like Joe Girardi.

Cubs needed someone who could develop players. Teach 'em how the big boys play.

Once Baez, Bryant, Soler, and Almora get a few years experience, he'll be back with the Cubs.

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
I think Sandberg would be a great coach for a talented team, like Joe Girardi.
Sandberg proved in the Cubs system that he could manage about any team, and do it well. Girardi proved that he could manage from square one with a young Marlins team. The sick irony in all this is that the Cubs passed on both, then had fate slam the door in their face the second time around. Went with Piniella instead of Girardi in 2007, and Quade instead of Sandberg in 2010.

I'm not going to prentend to have a strong opinion on Renteria. Frankly, I'm not sure how you can as he's an unknown commodity. The Cubs hired option 4, maybe 3, today. Nothing to celebrate, but nothing to get too worked up over because they made their own bed well before today. It is what it is. We just need to hope they have a solid manager in place (whether that's Renteria or someone else) by the time this roster is ready to win.

acody

Nov 25, 2006
My fellow cubs fans are over-reacting because its not a big name. I personally love the hire. No MLB managing experience, but has plenty of minor league managing and was Mexico's WBC manager. But that's not the point, he's widely known as a great teacher of the game for young players and is extremely well liked for his ability to help players adjust and develop when they get to the MLB. Plus he is bi-lingual. This is huge with the big time prospects about to get to wrigley. They need someone who can get them ready to play in the MLB, regardless of managing experience or not. He may or may not pan out in that aspect, but does it matter? Because if he does, you hit a home run, if he doesn't he gets replaced in 2 years when the young stars are now in place and transitioned to the MLB and then you bring in an experienced MLB manager who has been there before if Renteria struggles. It's an absolutely solid hire in my opinion. The guy comes with HUGE recommendations from all over baseball. That doesn't come easy.

Some of our fan base is just getting too antsy. This was always about a 5 year plan when Theo/Jed took over and you can see it working with the farm being arguably the best in baseball and the time frame has started to speed up a little with the unexpected rate at which Baez and Bryant are going to exit the system and graduate to the bigs with Soler and Almora right on their heels. Now that a few arms have started to emerge (Edwards, Johnson, etc.) it's looking extremely bright right now.

Keep dreaming.