2014 Defense

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Our defense next year worries me as much or more than our offense. Luckily we have a proven coaching staff that gets the most out of the players we have, but what we have isn't going to be very good.

The last three weeks, say what you want about TOP, short fields, and the offense not sustaining drives, but our defense has been absolutely shredded.

We are a Defensive team. I expect a more out of the D than the O. Who are going to be our play makers on defense next year? We can't give up 42, 71, 58, and 41 in consecutive weeks and expect our offense to match blow for blow.

Yes13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Our playmakers will be whatever JUCOs we add. If we strike out on JUCOs, its not gonna be good.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Our defense next year worries me as much or more than our offense. Luckily we have a proven coaching staff that gets the most out of the players we have, but what we have isn't going to be very good.

The last three weeks, say what you want about TOP, short fields, and the offense not sustaining drives, but our defense has been absolutely shredded.

We are a Defensive team. I expect a more out of the D than the O. Who are going to be our play makers on defense next year? We can't give up 42, 71, 58, and 41 in consecutive weeks and expect our offense to match blow for blow.
This is true for me as well. Of course, given the team being in good health, I'm not actually worried about the offense next season, so saying that "I'm as worried as much if not more than the offense" isn't saying a whole lot.

I mean, this season sucks so bad, how do you have any "worry" to spare for next? There's no way it can be as bad next year!

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
UNI game was sad. When Wally got his act together, Baylor was the only other game where I felt the defense didn't show up. Every other game where we got the score/yards/etc run up on us was pretty much solely because our offense was so bad they repeatedly threw the defense back out there. Just look at KSU for instance. The defense came out slow and gave up 10 points (After an offense stall out). Then they held after numerous failures by the offense to do anything. It wasn't until the 2nd half when KSU showed that the ISU offense was not going to do anything before the defense just broke.
I think people are too down on this defense. ISU returns 5 of the starting front 7. They return Tribune, Sam E and Rodgers who are getting a lot of experience this season so the secondary wont be full of rookies either. I do however feel we do need some added talent to be considered "good" but I bet they will be improved from this year. I can't say enough how important I think another quality DT, DE and LB would be for the defense (Clinkscales)

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Oh, but respond to the main statement. In no way shape or form does the defense worry me more than the offense at this point. ISU 'should' have a crap ton of playmakers on offense next year but my confidence in coaching those playmakers worries me.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
The team and coaches can say whatever they want but at some point, as a defense, when you are getting nothing from your offense, you loosen. I'm not talking about the season, I'm talking about a game by game basis. It's not something they think of but I do think that at some point you either start pressing too much and make mistakes or you just don't feel like it matters. I'm not saying the team quit and this isn't specific to us. I think it's football in general.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
The team and coaches can say whatever they want but at some point, as a defense, when you are getting nothing from your offense, you loosen. I'm not talking about the season, I'm talking about a game by game basis. It's not something they think of but I do think that at some point you either start pressing too much and make mistakes or you just don't feel like it matters. I'm not saying the team quit and this isn't specific to us. I think it's football in general.

I totally agree, you can just see it in the defensive players as the game wears on. Its like they know if they give up 7 points their offense can't keep up. Its got to be the worst feeling knowing how inept our offense is.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
I think it's worth remembering too that the defense has generally been the stronger unit for 4 seasons. At this point it's not ridiculous to ask the offense to step up for one year, especially considering they are the more talented of the two units, IMO.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
They are going to need some young guys to step up if the D is going to be decent next year. Maybe some of the young DL will make some big strides like Aka and Cousin.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
We don't lose much in the front 7. Obviously the 2 starters, but no one else in the 3 deep. I think we improve in the front 7. I was more worried until I realized we return a lot up front. I don't think the defense or offense will be worse next year.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Guys that are playing in mop up time are the ones that will need to emerge. Darius White did nothing but make plays when he was in HS, and the Mike is the only spot he can really play, and it will be open. I also think Rogers will move into the safety spot and hopefully be the type of playmaker we want back there. And Tribune may be the kind of player on the edge that Johnson was. We need out CBs to run support if we are going to see improvement.

In the front seven my darkhorse most improved is going to be Mitchell Meyers. I think he plays the way we need our DL to play, and could have a really good year.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Guys that are playing in mop up time are the ones that will need to emerge. Darius White did nothing but make plays when he was in HS, and the Mike is the only spot he can really play, and it will be open. I also think Rogers will move into the safety spot and hopefully be the type of playmaker we want back there. And Tribune may be the kind of player on the edge that Johnson was. We need out CBs to run support if we are going to see improvement.

In the front seven my darkhorse most improved is going to be Mitchell Meyers. I think he plays the way we need our DL to play, and could have a really good year.

From what Rhoads has said it sounds like Mike will be Seeley's spot. White will either be backup there or play another position.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
UNI game was sad. When Wally got his act together, Baylor was the only other game where I felt the defense didn't show up. Every other game where we got the score/yards/etc run up on us was pretty much solely because our offense was so bad they repeatedly threw the defense back out there. Just look at KSU for instance. The defense came out slow and gave up 10 points (After an offense stall out). Then they held after numerous failures by the offense to do anything. It wasn't until the 2nd half when KSU showed that the ISU offense was not going to do anything before the defense just broke.
I think people are too down on this defense. ISU returns 5 of the starting front 7. They return Tribune, Sam E and Rodgers who are getting a lot of experience this season so the secondary wont be full of rookies either. I do however feel we do need some added talent to be considered "good" but I bet they will be improved from this year. I can't say enough how important I think another quality DT, DE and LB would be for the defense (Clinkscales)

And this is why our mystery team is not going any place this year. At critical junctures, the offense produces nothing. Our offense is like a dry oil hole. It does not produce.

We can blame injuries, youth, wind , rain, road, home nerves, bad plan, poor play calls, weird formations, dropped passes, penalties, bad refs, dropped interceptions, and sweet caroline all we want, but the bottom line is just poor point production. When the time comes to rescue a win, the offense is MIA. This is making Jared look really good. Even Steele. Yes, Tiller. At least they could rally a team.

Goothrey

May 5, 2009
Dayton via Austin
Essentially the offense has given them zero help. Defense isn't good, but there numbers are grossly elevated due to the awful offense.

True. I'm just not sure how many wins the defense is good for if we had even just a subpar offense. If our offense was considered "average" I think we would be looking at our defense as the weak side of the ball.