What if: Art Briles instead of Gene Chizek???

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
The what if game is really fun to play. You couldn't ever predict that he would accomplish here what he has at Baylor.

Let me do you one better, what if RGIII didn't go to Baylor? Would Baylor be what they are now without him catapulting them into it? Doubtful and Baylor would be the same old Baylor.

Art Briles is a helluva coach but I dont think he will be able to sustain a top 10 team at Baylor year after year. Baylor will turn into a good tough team though good for 7-8 wins a year

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
At the time, gene was better than briles. Also, gene won a national championship two years after he left Iowa state. Had we picked briles, we could just as easily be saying what if gene chizik!

I'm a big fan of briles though. The guy can coach, I hope he stays at Baylor or goes to the NFL.

nhclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2008
At the time, chiz looked like a homerun hire. Not hard to see why they went that way. In hindsight, that's 2 years of ny life ill never get back, but I don't fault pollard for the choice one bit.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Big fan of Briles. I think he is a solid coach. But if you are going to play the "what if" game... What if we hired Nick Saban instead of Chizik? Both he and Chizik were hired in 2007. Huh??

That's right. National Titles in 2009, 2011, and 2012.

CychoCyclone

Oct 27, 2011
Cedar Rapids
The what if game sucks.... no way to tell anything about anything if things happened differently... what if the earth blows up tomorrow? Who gives a ****?

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Big fan of Briles. I think he is a solid coach. But if you are going to play the "what if" game... What if we hired Nick Saban instead of Chizik? Both he and Chizik were hired in 2007. Huh??

That's right. National Titles in 2009, 2011, and 2012.

And then hired Phil Jackson to coach basketball!

Mowilly

May 21, 2008
Capp Timm Field
Brian Kelly was all set to take the job back then. Pollard dropped the ball and let him get away.
You realize Pollard wanted him and he was slow-playing us waiting for Michigan State to hopefully offer. You realize Pollard had to move on, right?

What a great pool of candidates, Chiz now appears to worst of the bunch and he won a national title (regardless of how). Kelly, Briles and Harbaugh all were worth the time and attention given in the search but make no mistake, had we hired one of them, this board would have gone nuts over why we hired them. At least many would have- how can the .500 coach at Houston be any good or how can we hire a non-scholarship coach?

Still, I would have enjoyed those discussions as much as this one

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Briles was a legit what-if. Would sure be nice to have an offensive minded coach in today's age.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
The what if game is really fun to play. You couldn't ever predict that he would accomplish here what he has at Baylor.

Let me do you one better, what if RGIII didn't go to Baylor? Would Baylor be what they are now without him catapulting them into it? Doubtful and Baylor would be the same old Baylor.

Art Briles is a helluva coach but I dont think he will be able to sustain a top 10 team at Baylor year after year. Baylor will turn into a good tough team though good for 7-8 wins a year

Baylor can be the kind of program that Iowa looked like it would be for awhile. Get 7-9 wins almost every year, with some really good years mixed in. Those might come more frequently at Baylor, since they're in the heart of Texas.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
I think the big question about Briles is whether or not RG3 would have followed him to Ames?
Baylor has had a bevy of other good players recruited to Baylor since Briles arrival and had some go in the 1st round of the draft, but RG3 was the lightning rod for that program...and he would have played a similar role in Ames.

Imagine RG3 as a sophomore in 2009, with the schedule ISU had. That team might have been able to go 8-4. ISU had losses to a bad K-state team, and KU was on the way down as well. ATM wasn't anything special that year. Clones hung with Mizzou till midway in the 4th that year also. More wins were on the table.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
You realize Pollard wanted him and he was slow-playing us waiting for Michigan State to hopefully offer. You realize Pollard had to move on, right?

What a great pool of candidates, Chiz now appears to worst of the bunch and he won a national title (regardless of how). Kelly, Briles and Harbaugh all were worth the time and attention given in the search but make no mistake, had we hired one of them, this board would have gone nuts over why we hired them. At least many would have- how can the .500 coach at Houston be any good or how can we hire a non-scholarship coach?

Still, I would have enjoyed those discussions as much as this one

So for all the naysayers asking, "Who would want to coach at Iowa State if we have to let X coach go?", read the above list. ISU had lots of legit choices. Don't forget, ISU is at the big boy table with big boy money. You may not get Saban or Urban Meyer (as currently stands) but an Urban Meyer type could have been had along with these other guys.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
What sucks is Pollard couldn't see the future in knowing Chizek was going to leave after a few years in accomplishing absolutely nothing. I guess that's what lead us to Rhoads. But, I think it still is interesting, despite a few posters, to play the what if game. Maybe i'm just the type that looks back and analyzes ones past and thinks, hmm...wonder how my life would be if I went that route versus another. It doesn't mean I have regrets, just fun to think about.

Help Support Us

Become a patron