Black Market Pizza

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Any Black Market Pizza fans on here? I love the place. But I saw on their facebook they are closing their Perry location and if things don't pick up at the Ames location they will have to close that also. I would hate to see them close their Ames location.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Any Black Market Pizza fans on here? I love the place. But I saw on their facebook they are closing their Perry location and if things don't pick up at the Ames location they will have to close that also. I would hate to see them close their Ames location.

They've threatened to close the Ames location a couple times. I've heard its their way of trying to pick up business, but not sure if thats true.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Good riddance. I only ever hear about them when they're ******** about having to close locations.

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
You would think it would be an ideal location since Somerset is growing but for some reason I don't think their pizza is as good as it used to be. I try and eat lunch there as much as I can but often times the slices they sell are barely warm and not the best choices. I hope they don't close since it's good for the little guy to succeed.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
They've threatened to close the Ames location a couple times. I've heard its their way of trying to pick up business, but not sure if thats true.

ya that's the first thing I thought when I saw this thread. Only time I ever hear about them is when they are about to close.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I will order a pizza from Casey's before I get one from Black Market. Black Market takes significantly longer, is significantly more expensive, and isn't a great pizza.

And I wouldn't be totally shocked if it went under. Much like Brick City there's never anyone there to the point there's a line out the door. With The Cafe during the summer the line is out the door with people sitting on the benches.

I'll be really interested to see how the new upscale Italian restaurant out here does. The Cafe does really, really well so if they can stay in that price point with quality food they'll be good to go.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Their pizza is awesome, but incredibly expensive.

Yep. Love their pizza but it truly is only a special occasion thing for us. When there are literally 20 other places I can get good pizza that the kids like for far less Black Market just isn't an option.

My kids' favorite pizza is Casey's so they are easy to please.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
If they cant make it in Somerset by now, they must be doing something wrong. And i didnt know they had a Perry location. Same song, second verse.

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
I believe Somerset is a bad location for Blackmarket Pizza. I think it would fare much better somewhere near Duff/Lincoln Way. The most traffic they get is from people who live in Somerset. College kids and other Ames residents have Jeff's/Great Plains/Vesuvius to choose from that are "high" quality pizza joints. Those 3 are much closer to where I live and whenever I get pizza for lunch my first and last choice is Great Plains...

Just my opinion, I do think Blackmarket Pizza is very good and would probably go to them more often if they were closer.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Hopefully they pull through, I know they have been wanting to expand in their current location for some time and the Perry location was supposed to help pay for that (lease/sale prices aren't cheap in Somerset)

Last edited:

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Hopefully they pull through, I now they have been wanting to expand in their current location for some time and the Perry location was supposed to help pay for that (lease/sale prices aren't cheap in Somerset)
They got too big too fast and lost a whole bunch of money in the process.

And "aren't cheap" is an understatement....it's an absolute ripoff to open a business out here. The same 3-4 people own most of the land so it's tough to get decent sized loans since you don't have real estate to collateralize.

IowaStateClones

Dec 7, 2009
their commercial is ******* awkward with that old man laughing like a pedophile

[video=youtube;tt7uTkqxPo0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt7uTkqxPo0[/video]

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I'm a pizza junkie and I've never even heard of them. Obviously word of mouth doesn't go far when it comes to their product.

KezClone

Jun 30, 2006
Roland, IA
Love Black Market Pizza! Their challenge sauce is amazing.

The Tree Hugger...the ONLY vegetarian pizza worth eating. Discovered it by accident (mistakenly got someone else's pizza) Good god it's delicious.

Reactions: CyFan61