Hoops Insider: Hoiberg to be cautious w/ Ejim, more

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Morris will be starting before the season is over, and Kane will still be a starter also.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Yes Travis was being nitpicky with that question about the assists.

I would make a guess he'd be back for the Auburn game. (need a cybookie on this).

Last edited:

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
Morris will be starting before the season is over, and Kane will still be a starter also.

I think you could be right. I could see Morris moving into the starting lineup much like Niang did last year, timing-wise. I'm just not really sure how the other pieces fit in though. If you move Kane over to the 2, then Thomas is out of the starting lineup, because in the Big 12, I think you are going to need Hogue out there a lot.

It doesn't really matter who starts on this team though, or any Hoiberg team. I think there is a chance this could be his deepest team so far by the time conference rolls around.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I don't understand the logic that we need three forwards in conference play. A front court of Ejim and Niang was fine for us last year. Kane can play the three just fine, hell he played the four a little the other night.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Yes Travis was being nitpicky with that question about the assists.

I would make a guess he'd be back for the Auburn game. (need a cybookie on this).

I was gonna say either Auburn or UNI. Maybe limited action in those before getting his first start against Iowa.

Sounds like Fred is trying to temper the thought that Ejim may return for Michigan or BYU.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I don't understand the logic that we need three forwards in conference play. A front court of Ejim and Niang was fine for us last year. Kane can play the three just fine, hell he played the four a little the other night.

Are you forgetting that there was a 6'7 Forward named Will Clyburn that started last year??

Dingus

May 23, 2013
I think you could be right. I could see Morris moving into the starting lineup much like Niang did last year, timing-wise. I'm just not really sure how the other pieces fit in though. If you move Kane over to the 2, then Thomas is out of the starting lineup, because in the Big 12, I think you are going to need Hogue out there a lot.

It doesn't really matter who starts on this team though, or any Hoiberg team. I think there is a chance this could be his deepest team so far by the time conference rolls around.

I think this team will be deep in the sense that any of our top 7 could be starting (starting 5 the other day plus Morris and Ejim). But I'm expecting our rotation to mostly be 8 guys by the time conf. play begins (starters vs. Augustana plus Ejim, Morris, and Gibson). Exhibition starters plus Ejim and Morris all play big minutes, with Percy getting ~15. Smattering for the others.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out, though. Also, I'm expecting Ejim back for Auburn. Anything before that will just be a nice surprise.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
I like the line that Fred is taking. Much better to be absolutely sure that he is good to go than to risk further damage that would not only affect us later in the year, but could affect Melvin's future.

Also shows recruits you have their best interest for their career

RollsRoyce

Jul 6, 2011
Cedar Falls
Saw Ejim walking today on campus. Then he jogged to get into a car cause it was raining. My guess is he will be back before michigan but is taking safe approach so it isn't re aggravated.

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
Are you forgetting that there was a 6'7 Forward named Will Clyburn that started last year??

I think with Kane in the lineup it will help a lot. He is a very big guard

I'm betting this is the starting lineup by conference play

PG- Morris
SG- Thomas
G/F- Kane
F- Ejim
F- Niang

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Depending on where you look, Clyburn was listed as a guard. 2/3 and interchangeable. Both are wings.

cycub51

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2009
Somewhere Iowa
What matters more than position is clyburns height. He was 6' 7" no matter what position he played. We'll need Hogues length this year to play w/ Mel and Georges