BLOG: A case for starting Grant Rohach vs. TCU

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
In before Iraqi infomation minister comparisons!

:pwink:

Just kiddin' ya, Chris.

*edit: Okay something of possible value...I get your points, Chris, and I see where you're coming from, but to me, either you leave SR there and then put Rochach in if he's looking better...like with Ecby/Dondre last week, or you put an "OR", or you put Rohach there and he starts...Doing this...switching depth chart definitively from SR to GR then coming out a few hours later saying either could start is the only action that makes no sense...and makes it look like no one knows what the h*!! they're even doing.

Last edited:

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
In before Iraqi infomation minister comparisons!

:pwink:

Just kiddin' ya, Chris.

*edit: Okay something of possible value...I get your points, Chris, and I see where you're coming from, but to me, either you leave SR there and then put Rochach in if he's looking better...like with Ecby/Dondre last week, or you put an "OR", or you put Rohach there and he starts...Doing this...switching depth chart definitively from SR to GR then coming out a few hours later saying either could start is the only action that makes no sense...and makes it look like no one knows what the h*!! they're even doing.

Oh I couldn't agree more about the depth chart thing. Doesn't make much sense at all. As I noted in the column, even Rohach was getting confused texts because of it. I think we're on the same page.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Our coaching staff has to be the laughing stock of the Big 12 with the way QB's have been handled over the years. Oh and our offense has been really bad too.

Chris, honest question here...Do you think enough players have improved during the Rhoads era? I see a lot of guys that have stayed as is or regressed. Irving has improved this year and a very few others have but not many. Osemeli seemed to have blossomed as soon as he got out of Ames.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Our coaching staff has to be the laughing stock of the Big 12 with the way QB's have been handled over the years. Oh and our offense has been really bad too.

Chris, honest question here...Do you think enough players have improved during the Rhoads era? I see a lot of guys that have stayed as is or regressed. Irving has improved this year and a very few others have but not many. Osemeli seemed to have blossomed as soon as he got out of Ames.

That's a loaded question.

I mean, yeah, guys have gotten better. Look at how far Jeremiah George has come. That's just one example.

The offensive line and quarterbacks are the big concerns for me going forward. On paper, the line should be A LOT better next year. Those guys will get healthy and instead of seeing freshman and sophomores starting, they will sophomores and juniors with the seniors mixed in. But how much better will they be? That's the question. The same goes with the quarterbacks. Based off of circumstances, it's hard for me to write of SR or GR. It's just way too early. But they better be a heck of a lot better next year right?

I hope that answers your question at least a little bit. I'm kind of in a time pinch right now otherwise I would have gotten more in depth.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
There is no reason whatsoever to start Rohach unless Sam is injured. None. Not even CW can make up a lame excuse for it. And he knows it too, or at least he should.

This is just propaganda in order to drive interest and hopefully ticket sales or something? Nothing more. It's become a total joke. We are the laughing stock right now with the way we handle QB's.

Someone on this staff, presumably Rhoads I would guess, decided to list Rohach as the starter without even an "or" in there. But then proceeded to not even tell Rohach or Richardson or anyone for that matter about it at all. What sense does this make?

I'm fully convinced at this point that if Lanning wasn't in his RS season, he would be given an opportunity at starting just so they can "sell" the fans something to come to the game for.

I've been on Rhoads' side through this entire season. I've said he needs to make changes at OC and probably a few other assistants as well this offseason, but I've been on CPR's side. I know there is no way financially that Pollard can get rid of Rhoads anyway with his contract, but I'm now to the point where if Rhoads had 3 years or less on his deal right now, I think he would need to be let go after the season. It has gotten that bad. It is things like this QB mess that have me feeling that way. I honestly think Paul might be in over his head.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
This is intentional hyperbole, correct?

Yeah, basically. When there is absolutely no other reason at all to explain something, you must come up with something outlandish.

We all understand you are part of the media. You aren't able to throw Rhoads under the bus, so you write an article trying to find any possible explanation for the joke we are all witnessing. It's no big deal. I do understand. I'd probably do the same thing. No biggie.

But you know deep down that it's stupid. I've never seen anything like it in my life. Starting the backup QB, but not telling anyone, including either QB. Brilliant!

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
I'm a fan that tries to not let myself drink too much kool-aid when things are good and not go into severe depression when things our bad. I planned for us to only with about 4 games this year. 4 games seems unlikely now, but who would have guessed we'd be plagued with so many injuries. If we can stay healthy next year I think we can return to a bowl. I understand the frustrations, I feel them too. As a realist I understand that I didn't attend ISU so that I could cheer for a consistently good football team. With our lack of history, lack of funds compared to big 12 competition, lack of city that recruits want to, and all the other factors stacked against our beloved cyclones... I understand that we will probably never have consistent success. That doesn't mean I love them less because I accepted mediocracy. It means I accept my team and choose to cheer them on no matter how ugly it gets. If I wanted to cheer for a quality football team I would have attended Alabama or jumped on the Oregon bandwagon a long time ago. Rhoads much like McCarney is a class act and a guy you can get behind. I'm prepared to give him 100 chances before giving 2 chances to classless guys like Chizik and guys they may have success and leave the first opportunity they get.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I'm a fan that tries to not let myself drink too much kool-aid when things are good and not go into severe depression when things our bad. I planned for us to only with about 4 games this year. 4 games seems unlikely now, but who would have guessed we'd be plagued with so many injuries. If we can stay healthy next year I think we can return to a bowl. I understand the frustrations, I feel them too. As a realist I understand that I didn't attend ISU so that I could cheer for a consistently good football team. With our lack of history, lack of funds compared to big 12 competition, lack of city that recruits want to, and all the other factors stacked against our beloved cyclones... I understand that we will probably never have consistent success. That doesn't mean I love them less because I accepted mediocracy. It means I accept my team and choose to cheer them on no matter how ugly it gets. If I wanted to cheer for a quality football team I would have attended Alabama or jumped on the Oregon bandwagon a long time ago. Rhoads much like McCarney is a class act and a guy you can get behind. I'm prepared to give him 100 chances before giving 2 chances to classless guys like Chizik and guys they may have success and leave the first opportunity they get.

I basically agree with you. I want nothing more than for Rhoads to succeed here. He loves Iowa State, as do I. But lately he's just doing some really dumb things.

He's worried WAY too much what fans think or something? Or he's trying to be too nice to the players. It's like he can never make a decision because he's afraid of offending anyone. We had like 5 RBs with an "OR" between them going into the season. Why? It's like he was afraid one of them might transfer or something? Now he's trying to appease both Sam and Grant. Why?

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
I basically agree with you. I want nothing more than for Rhoads to succeed here. He loves Iowa State, as do I. But lately he's just doing some really dumb things.

He's worried WAY too much what fans think or something? Or he's trying to be too nice to the players. It's like he can never make a decision because he's afraid of offending anyone. We had like 5 RBs with an "OR" between them going into the season. Why? It's like he was afraid one of them might transfer or something? Now he's trying to appease both Sam and Grant. Why?

I think if that were the case Messingham would be fired by now. In fact if that were the case I don't think Rhoads would be coaching Division 1 football.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
The only explanation I can think of that makes a little sense would be if Mess chose Rohach on his own without talking with CPR, who then said it could be either to make it clear he is the final arbiter...but still, even if that were true, chew his butt in private, then start whoever on gameday, and if it's SR...you just say it was a 'gametime decision'. Again, this way it just stinks of bumbling and grasping at straws.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
To Mr. clonedude:

Did you even read the blog? If you did, you would have seen that I didn't exactly give Rohach a glowing endorsement. In fact, I wrote that it probably doesn't matter who the guy is. Point is, Richardson is 1-9. Rohach hasn't been much better. However he's never started. What do you have to lose at this ppoint in the season? Having said that I don't know why I'm responding to you. As you like to note, you already know every nuance that there is to my job. You also know what I am thinking and how I think 24 hours a day.

Last edited:

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Did you even read the blog? If you did, you would have seen that I didn't exactly give Rohach a glowing endorsement. In fact, I wrote that it probably doesn't matter who the guy is. Point is, Richardson is 1-9. Rohach hasn't been much better. However he's never started. What do you have to lose at this ppoint in the season? Having said that I don't know why I'm responding to you. As you lime to note, you already know every nuance that there is to my job. You also know what I am thinking and how I think 24 hours a day.

The team. You have portrayed SR as the guy even through injury. Now you all of a sudden don't believe that because of really nothing performance driven and Sam is as healthy as he's been. That will lose credibility, especially if it doesn't work.

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
There is no reason whatsoever to start Rohach unless Sam is injured. None. Not even CW can make up a lame excuse for it. And he knows it too, or at least he should.

This is just propaganda in order to drive interest and hopefully ticket sales or something? Nothing more. It's become a total joke. We are the laughing stock right now with the way we handle QB's.

Someone on this staff, presumably Rhoads I would guess, decided to list Rohach as the starter without even an "or" in there. But then proceeded to not even tell Rohach or Richardson or anyone for that matter about it at all. What sense does this make?

I'm fully convinced at this point that if Lanning wasn't in his RS season, he would be given an opportunity at starting just so they can "sell" the fans something to come to the game for.

I've been on Rhoads' side through this entire season. I've said he needs to make changes at OC and probably a few other assistants as well this offseason, but I've been on CPR's side. I know there is no way financially that Pollard can get rid of Rhoads anyway with his contract, but I'm now to the point where if Rhoads had 3 years or less on his deal right now, I think he would need to be let go after the season. It has gotten that bad. It is things like this QB mess that have me feeling that way. I honestly think Paul might be in over his head.

Sam is 1-9 as a starter but you can't think of any reason for him not to start besides injury?

I could argue Sam got more time than most coaches would allow. You think Texas, TT, OSU, WV, OU, etc wouldn't have changed QB's multiple times with the production we have seen at the QB position? Of course they would. In fact most have at some point in the past couple years.

Help Support Us

Become a patron