Thoughts on Matt Thomas

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
He's going to be that guy that his junior year that every school we play is going to say "how long has he played at ISU!?!?!"

Reminds me of Keiton Page, but taller. Not necessarily 100% on all the time, but when he's in his groove, he can't be stopped, no matter who you put in front of him.

I know, it's just been one game. But after he hit his first three tonight, there was about a 5-10 minute stretch where he could do no wrong. He drilled a second three, goes back, gets a huge steal, then a few minutes later drills a three from Boone County.

Monte and Kane both said playing in front of Hilton made them a little nervous, which explains the slow start for all our noobs.

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames
He's going to be that guy that his junior year that every school we play is going to say "how long has he played at ISU!?!?!"

Reminds me of Keiton Page, but taller. Not necessarily 100% on all the time, but when he's in his groove, he can't be stopped, no matter who you put in front of him.

I know, it's just been one game. But after he hit his first three tonight, there was about a 5-10 minute stretch where he could do no wrong. He drilled a second three, goes back, gets a huge steal, then a few minutes later drills a three from Boone County.

Monte and Kane both said playing in front of Hilton made them a little nervous, which explains the slow start for all our noobs.

Hilton Magic?

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
There's a reason he was a top 60 recruit. I don't think his game will be like Page because he will be able to do more offensively. But yeah, like Page fans will be wondering when his eligibility is up

Cincyclone

Feb 5, 2012
He's awesome. Will average double figures this year in all likelihood. Really looks like a natural scorer with a pretty good midrange game as well. He just seems to be able to fill it up so effortlessly.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
And to think I puked when someone compared him to Matt Gatens.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
And to think I puked when someone compared him to Matt Gatens.

If he turned out as good at Gatens I'd probably be pretty ok with that. As long as he was that good sooner than later.

I think he has potential to be as good as Gatens was in his SR year, in his (Thomas's) SO year.

Last edited:

Cincyclone

Feb 5, 2012
If he turned out as good at Gatens I'd probably be pretty ok with that. At least his senior year.

I think he has potential to be as good as Gatens was in his SR year, in his (Thomas's) SO year.

Agreed. He already has a better midrange game than Gatens did when he was a freshman IMO.

F5cy

May 1, 2011
Washington, D.C.
This is what top 50 talent looks like as a freshman. Monte and Matt (Niang too) are going to have solid entries in the record books at ISU when they are done in Ames.

DrShekelstein

Jul 30, 2013
Imagine if we had him, niang, morris, and rashad on a team. Would be pretty damn solid. Especially if Vaughn stayed for two or three years.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I thought Thomas looked really good in the 2nd half. Really good. That said, if he is better than SR year Matt Gatens by next season, he will be all conference as a SO. Gatens averaged 15+ ppg his senior year, and there may not have been a more unconscious player in the country the last month of his career. I think he averaged 22 ppg over that last month.

Just saying.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Imagine if we had him, niang, morris, and rashad on a team. Would be pretty damn solid. Especially if Vaughn stayed for two or three years.
tumblr_mbi2e7Fun51r92s75o1_500.gif

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa

Hopefully they aren't too nervous for that Michigan game. Hilton is really going to be rocking.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
I don't see the Page comparison at all other than they are three-point shooters.

Thomas is a younger, better version of Christopherson. I'm not saying he will be as productive as Scotty was his senior season, but Thomas has a similar game and is way ahead of where Christopherson was as a true freshman.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I think Thomas will end up very good rebounder for his position, in addition to the obvious shooting. He had 4 assists tonight and two of them were great passes. I'm guessing defense and rebounding is where he makes big strides as an upper classman while the offense comes to him quickly.

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Compare him to Matt Gatens all you want, but he'll surpass him easily by year 2.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron