What was the reasoning behind the 10 year contract for CPR?

Doctor

Aug 19, 2011
I honestly don't understand why you'd give a coach that has accomplished what he has a 10 year contract.

Does anyone know the details for the buyout? I assume it for about a quarter of the $2 million per year, but am not sure if that's right. $500k per each year left seems about right to me.

Was there a fear of him going somewhere else?

I know that Jamie must really like him, but geez, it seems like someone really got carried away.

When was the contract extended? Was it after the "so proud" season?

I'm just looking at his overall body of work while here and trying to imagine another University in the country who would give a 10 year extension at $2 million per.

Reactions: CyDude16

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
We gave him a 10 year extension because JP knows we couldn't get anyone better. That's why. Pretty simple really.

Reactions: CyDude16

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
We thought he was cheaper than the $4M Man. Right now the Tulsa road game is a $2M win.

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
Because he took us from 5-19 to:

Bowl game in 3 out of 4 years
Biggest win in school history over OSU
First win over Texas
First win at Nebraska since 78

And he was being offered a job by other/bigger BCS schools.

Doctor

Aug 19, 2011
We gave him a 10 year extension because JP knows we couldn't get anyone better. That's why. Pretty simple really.

Jamie must not think very highly of himself as an AD if he thinks that this is as good as it gets.

I think that Jamie was pandering to the fans with the extension, but an AD's job isn't to pander to the fans. Someone needs to be the adult and it's supposed to be the AD.

We are currently paying CPR well, well above his market value and likely will be throughout the duration of his contract. All because we didn't think we could do better?

The question for a sane AD would be, could CPR do better? I don't think his phone has ever been ringing with job inquiries, but maybe I'm wrong.

Doctor

Aug 19, 2011
Because he took us from 5-19 to:

Bowl game in 3 out of 4 years
Biggest win in school history over OSU
First win over Texas
First win at Nebraska since 78

And he was being offered a job by other/bigger BCS schools.

I'd love to hear about these other job offers at BCS schools. Since you brought it up, I'm sure you'll have the details.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Jamie must not think very highly of himself as an AD if he thinks that this is as good as it gets.

I think that Jamie was pandering to the fans with the extension, but an AD's job isn't to pander to the fans. Someone needs to be the adult and it's supposed to be the AD.

We are currently paying CPR well, well above his market value and likely will be throughout the duration of his contract. All because we didn't think we could do better?

The question for a sane AD would be, could CPR do better? I don't think his phone has ever been ringing with job inquiries, but maybe I'm wrong.

How do you figure that CPR is getting overpaid? He's one of the lowest, if not the lowest paid in the conference AND he's still selling out games. He might not be winning enough, but that doesn't make him overpaid.

I've always said the same thing about KF over in IC. He's not overpaid for what he brings in. He might be overpaid for his results, but not for what he brings in. Iowa is rolling in the money over there in IC. KF deserves a good sized chunk of it. It's the fans fault for paying HUGE money to watch paint dry, not KF's.

LawyerClone

Jul 28, 2012
Where were you when this was signed?

The length doesn't matter, the buyout does. A 5 year contract with no buyout is worse than a 10 year contract with a small buyout. Rhoads's buyout is $750,000 x the number of years left on the contract. At absolute worst, in the unlikely scenario where he is terminated next year, he would be owed $5.25 million, a number that we could manage if necessary.

So sleep easy tonight.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011

What rock have you been living under? You're wrong.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Because Pollard didn't have a crystal ball to foresee all of these injuries?

Well, that, and the fact that DB's can't make interceptions?

You negative guys are getting a little over the top here. When CPR was signed to that extension, everyone rejoiced to have him locked up.

RunDMCyclone

Jun 9, 2013
12 Grimmauld Place
I'd love to hear about these other job offers at BCS schools. Since you brought it up, I'm sure you'll have the details.

Me too. Other schools such as Pitt and Wisconsin calling to see if he was interested does not equate to being offered a job.

Also, as I posted in another thread, his buyout is $750,000/year.

RunDMCyclone

Jun 9, 2013
12 Grimmauld Place
Because Pollard didn't have a crystal ball to foresee all of these injuries?

Well, that, and the fact that DB's can't make interceptions?

You negative guys are getting a little over the top here. When CPR was signed to that extension, everyone rejoiced to have him locked up.

Doesn't matter for any fanbase. All Iowa fans rejoiced when they gave KF that 10 year extension also, and a vocal portion of their fanbase has hated him almost ever since.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Likely going to go down as another huge mistake under Pollard.

I really don't blame Pollard for this extension at all. In order to be successful you have to have some continuity. I don't think you can have different head coaches every 2 or 3 years.

Rhoads took us to 3 bowls in 4 years, AND he loves Iowa State University. And he's passionate about winning at Iowa State. So Pollard took the low risk gamble and went with a guy that everyone loved, he did a good job, and he also wanted to be here for the long run.

Now.... if Rhoads is not a good enough leader to make the necessary changes needed to turn this back around, then I will start being skeptical whether we should keep him much longer. If he can't make the tough decisions necessary to possibly let some of his good friends go, or be demoted, then his leadership needs to come into question IMO.

But 2 million a year for a BCS level head coach is nothing these days. It would probably cost us 3 million a year to go out and get someone else to come here.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Why even bring this up? He gets butts in the seats and dollars in the AD budget. That's worth more than the W column. Boise State, a constant winner pays their coach $2 million per year and I am certain we make more money than them. So it's a bargain to have CPR. He's the right man right now. He needs to make some better choices with his subordinates.

Also, do coaches get IPERS? I wonder what the payout on his IPERS is since he is vested!

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Why even bring this up? He gets butts in the seats and dollars in the AD budget. That's worth more than the W column. Boise State, a constant winner pays their coach $2 million per year and I am certain we make more money than them. So it's a bargain to have CPR. He's the right man right now. He needs to make some better choices with his subordinates.

Also, do coaches get IPERS? I wonder what the payout on his IPERS is since he is vested!
This isn't going to continue without wins. Fans aren't going to clinch on to watching us get beat by 4+ tds and our coach being so proud.