What if we had Oregon or Baylor's OC?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I understand we're young and we've had injuries, but what if we had Oregon, Baylor, or "insert any really good OC's name here" as our OC?

IMO, there would be no way we don't score at least 4 TD's against KSU today. Their defense is not that good. A really good OC would find ways to exploit defenses and get the ball into the hands of some of our skilled players IMO.

I'm not saying we win the game, but we would at least put a decent amount of points on the board.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
If we had Baylor or Oregon's OC...the same freaking players would still be injured. The OL would still be worse than decimated.

Do you guys have a clue? Seriously???

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Seriously? Use your brain. Did you not see the players fail to execute in every way?

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
If we had Baylor or Oregon's OC...the same freaking players would still be injured. The OL would still be worse than decimated.

Do you guys have a clue? Seriously???

What did your excuse machine say early in the season when the injures had not piled up?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Seriously? Use your brain. Did you not see the players fail to execute in every way?

That's exactly what I wanted to know. I wanted to see how many people out there would feel that it wouldn't make any difference whatsoever who are OC is?

So you obviously are for Mess keeping his job as our OC because nobody else could do any better, right? It's just that we don't have good enough players and too many injuries, right? That's fine if that's your opinion, like I said, that's why I asked the question. I just wanted to find out.

LawyerClone

Jul 28, 2012
Considering Baylor's OC only scored 5 TD's with their players at full strength, I'd say he couldn't score "at least" 4 TD's with our backup QB, backup RBs, and missing 4 of our top 9 OL.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Considering Baylor's OC only scored 5 TD's with their players at full strength, I'd say he couldn't score "at least" 4 TD's with our backup QB, backup RBs, and missing 4 of our top 9 OL.

That is a very fair point, and one well taken.

I just wanted to get a feel for how many people felt that it wouldn't make any difference this year who our OC was, that's all.

atlantacyclone

Sep 29, 2007
Fontvieille Monaco
With a really good OC I do believe that we could have four wins at this point. UNI, Iowa and Texas could have gone either way. UNI was especially a badly called game.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Well Baylor mustered 35 points vs Kansas state. They would have technically lost today had they had our defense.

But it doesn't work that way.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
That's exactly what I wanted to know. I wanted to see how many people out there would feel that it wouldn't make any difference whatsoever who are OC is?

So you obviously are for Mess keeping his job as our OC because nobody else could do any better, right? It's just that we don't have good enough players and too many injuries, right? That's fine if that's your opinion, like I said, that's why I asked the question. I just wanted to find out.

It's not just one thing you arse. It's a combination of everything going bad at once. People who try to blame this train wreck of a season on one person or one group of players are idiots.

LawyerClone

Jul 28, 2012
That is a very fair point, and one well taken.

I just wanted to get a feel for how many people felt that it wouldn't make any difference this year who our OC was, that's all.

Those are two different questions. I don't think there's anyone on here that is willing to argue that Messingham is even if the top half of OC's in the country or that Rhoads doesn't know best. But the thoughts of what the best OC could do with our 1/2 strength offense can be questioned.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
It's not just one thing you arse. It's a combination of everything going bad at once. People who try to blame this train wreck of a season on one person or one group of players are idiots.

Do you really have to make this personal? I don't remember calling anyone names on here? Just asked a simple question. Relax. I can take it down to a 2nd grade level ******* match if you want to, but I really don't want to.

I appreciate your input. I understand there are multiple reasons why ISU is this bad, but with everyone calling for Mess's head, I just wanted to truly see how many people thought that just changing the OC would make any difference?

No big deal. No reason to start name calling.

MadCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2006
Madison, WI
I honestly just don't think we have the speed to run an Oregon or Baylor offence. Not a knock on our guys, but speed is important in those offenses. We a few quick players, but they have 4 to our 1.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Those are two different questions. I don't think there's anyone on here that is willing to argue that Messingham is even if the top half of OC's in the country or that Rhoads doesn't know best. But the thoughts of what the best OC could do with our 1/2 strength offense can be questioned.

That is basically the entire gist of my question. You stated it much better than I did.

What would a really good OC be able to do with our half strength offense? I would like to think they could still find ways to exploit defenses somehow, but maybe not?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
This is a question that every team in the country could be asking.

True. But... should we really fire an OC due to lack of experience and injuries? Is Mess really that bad, or is he trying to put together an offense with his hands tied behind his back?

That's what Paul Rhoads, and probably JP as well, need to ask. It's not fair to fire someone if you determine in the end it wouldn't have been any better with anyone else.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

Isn't that on the coaches. Isn't the coaches job to get players ready and to execute? Look at the jump Tech has made with a different coach.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron