Friday OT - Desert Island Band

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Somehow your life goes all Gilligan and you get stuck on a desert island for the remainder of it. (Let's say, 15 years.) You have to choose one band - you can take their entire catalog of songs and albums, but ONLY that band.

Who do you choose? Do you go quantity over quality, or vice versa?

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I always have trouble with this. I usually come back to the Stones, but there are a lot of good contenders. I mean, a band like RHCP has been around for forever - and most of their recent music is just mediocre, but they had some good stuff back in the day. How do you decide?

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
If I'm stuck on an island than it has to be Jimmy Buffett.

I have to say - one full evening at Margaritaville did me in. I no longer like pina coladas or getting caught in the rain.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Probably the Doors or Zeppelin............lots of great music, plus they would bring enough drugs that we could have a good time before kick the bucket.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Easy for me...E Street Band! Can I bring all of the bootlegs I own with me as well?

Works for me! :smile:

I always waver on whether or not it's also okay to bring work by the band members as solo artists, but I think I have to say that's cheating.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
I have to say - one full evening at Margaritaville did me in. I no longer like pina coladas or getting caught in the rain.

I get what your saying. The reason I picked Jimmy is because of how large his collection of songs is and the fact that he at times is a cover band and has lots of cover songs on his albums so he could sing those for me too. Plus if I'm stuck on a desert island i'm not sure I would want a band that would depress me, I would probably need Jimmy and the Coral Reefers constantly pumping sunshine up my *** so I wouldn't go all Tom Hanks in Cast Away.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I get what your saying. The reason I picked Jimmy is because of how large his collection of songs is and the fact that he at times is a cover band and has lots of cover songs on his albums so he could sing those for me too. Plus if I'm stuck on a desert island i'm not sure I would want a band that would depress me, I would probably need Jimmy and the Coral Reefers constantly pumping sunshine up my *** so I wouldn't go all Tom Hanks in Cast Away.

The cheerful aspect is a very solid point. I don't think a lot of emo bands would be picked.

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
Not going to lie when I saw this thread I thought lonely island had a new song out and Angie didn't know it was lonely island not desert island. Sorry for doubting you Angie but now I'm sad there isn't a new lonely island song...

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Not going to lie when I saw this thread I thought lonely island had a new song out and Angie didn't know it was lonely island not desert island. Sorry for doubting you Angie but now I'm sad there isn't a new lonely island song...

I do love some Lonely Island!!

CycloneNorth

Mar 29, 2010
Nashville, TN
Somehow your life goes all Gilligan and you get stuck on a desert island for the remainder of it. (Let's say, 15 years.) You have to choose one band - you can take their entire catalog of songs and albums, but ONLY that band.

Who do you choose? Do you go quantity over quality, or vice versa?

Just to clarify, are we bringing the actual band or just their music?

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Just to clarify, are we bringing the actual band or just their music?

I've always pictured it with just their music - but I'm open to interpretation. :) I think I'd still go Stones, but maybe try to do it 30 years ago.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I've always been a Smiths guy, but a lifetime of them and nothing but them alone on an island would drive me to engineer a potato gun and just end it all, which might be for the best. R.E.M. would be a contender, but everything after "Document" basically sucks so that would render more than half of their catalogue useless. Pavement is right up there.

But if I can have one and only one, I'm going with The Replacements.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
I would say a band like Red Hot, but after a while I feel like I would get annoyed with the intensity if I'm on an island.

I like country, so I could go for Eric Church to be played on an island.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
I thought of two things immediately when I read this scenario.

1. The band saying, "Hey man, where do we plug in?" (Unless professor built a bike generator.)

2. Eventually saying, "If you play ******* Margaritaville one more time, I'll feed you to the sharks!"

Reactions: Angie

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron