Public Intox

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Does anyone know how you go about getting a public intox expunged after the 2 years? Story county.

Last edited:

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Contact an attorney and he can walk you through the process. Generally the expungement happens right after the crime. The problem you have is the state crime database will still have a record of your arrest. Your attorney needs to find a way to get your arrest record off of the criminal database search.

I had a run in when I was 18 and the lawyer got it expunged immediately so that there was nothing on my record after a six month probation period. Not that it matters a dozen+ years later, but I can legally put never convicted of a crime. If you were convicted of a DUI there is no way around that question, even if it is expunged.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I didn't plan on getting an attorney. I was thinking that getting a public intox expunged was a pretty simple process once you got past the 2 years.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
It doesn't matter if you show up in the crime database or not, you can still put never convicted of a crime.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I didn't plan on getting an attorney. I was thinking that getting a public intox expunged was a pretty simple process once you got past the 2 years.

Pretty sure you can just talk to a judge in the county or something like that, preferably the one who was responsible for the case.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006

Get an attorney, they will make the best and correct path to get this expunged ... I would expect it to be a flat rate around $700. Not a bad price if it is important to you.

-keep

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
What keep said if you want to remove all evidence, but once it's expunged you can say never convicted of a crime and a potential employer can't hold it against you legally. Not that they still wouldn't...

MartyMcCy

Sep 6, 2011
Contact an attorney and he can walk you through the process. Generally the expungement happens right after the crime. The problem you have is the state crime database will still have a record of your arrest. Your attorney needs to find a way to get your arrest record off of the criminal database search.

I had a run in when I was 18 and the lawyer got it expunged immediately so that there was nothing on my record after a six month probation period. Not that it matters a dozen+ years later, but I can legally put never convicted of a crime. If you were convicted of a DUI there is no way around that question, even if it is expunged.
If I don't show up on this list, does that mean I don't have go through the expungement process? I had a possession ticket tailgating in '99.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
All you have to do is write a letter to the judge asking for it to be expunged with the case # on it. Don't need an attorney unless you like spending money. All the info you need will be on Iowa Courts online

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Received some very helpful info from Story county. Now if the cops inside of Jack trice were as nice.....

Here's some information regarding expungement. Please scroll down at this link to the "Can I expunge a criminal case if I was convicted":

Expungement of Criminal Convictions: FAQ | Iowa Legal Aid

If you would provide me with your case number, I can verify whether or not your case is in electronic format. In the event that you do not have your case number, you may search for it by performing a "Trial Court Case Search" at this site:
https://www.iowacourts.state.ia.us/ESAWebApp//SelectFrame

You may use the attached form to make your request:
(Please note that you should complete the form only after you have saved it to your computer.)

If your case is already in electronic format, you have the option to register and file the motion at the following site:

https://www.iowacourts.state.ia.us/EFile/

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Received some very helpful info from Story county. Now if the cops inside of Jack trice were as nice.....

Here's some information regarding expungement. Please scroll down at this link to the "Can I expunge a criminal case if I was convicted":

If you would provide me with your case number, I can verify whether or not your case is in electronic format. In the event that you do not have your case number, you may search for it by performing a "Trial Court Case Search" at this site:

(Please note that you should complete the form only after you have saved it to your computer.)

If your case is already in electronic format, you have the option to register and file the motion at the following site:

great info. From the first link:

What is a deferred judgment?
  • A deferred judgment is an option in the criminal justice system where the court gives a person the opportunity to be on probation instead of having a conviction entered against him/her right away.
    • The Court "defers," or waits to decide a person's guilt or innocence in the crime.
  • If probation was successfully completed, the court does not enter a conviction.
  • If probation was not successfully completed, the court enters a conviction.
    • Once you have been convicted, you usually cannot get the case expunged (unless you meet the exception listed below).

Did not know that ..... Sah-weeeeet!

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
That letter in the U of I link would probably work, and would probably save a crap load of $.

Expunging a public intox is not worth $700.00.

Last edited:

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames

You were arrested inside the stadium? Dang man, you must have been hammered.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron