Twitter. Seriously?

crawfy54

Dec 28, 2006
Ames, Iowa
I tend to follow potential recruits on twitter. Not to tweet at them, but to maybe see them tweet about their favorites and about how visits went etc. For example, lookin at twitter before I pass out this early morning, I see Terrell clinksales has been retweeting some cyclone account who is very persistent in arguing with other schools fan about his recruitment. I can only assume he is retweeting it because he thinks it's comical. Like do people really think they are going to influence him one way or another via arguing with some ksu fan on twitter?

This account is not the only account that I notice consistently tweeting at potential recruits. Like everyday. I cannot be the only one here that thinks this is extremely creepy, can I?

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I think its stupid too. A fan is not going to be successful convincing a recruit to go to one school over the other especially via twitter. It can only do harm when people do stupid stuff like this. Plus I'm pretty sure it is technically an NCAA violation because the fan is considered a "booster" of the school.

Last edited:

ISU_Clone_28

Mar 27, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
I never really got the point of twitter. Not trying to bash it... I just dont get it. Just seems like facebook only just the updates. Kind of seems like a stalkers haven for people who want to just follow peoples every move. Plus things seem to get blown out of proportion quite a bit whenever a recruit posts something... either positive or negative. Some things posted by recruits can be informative and promising. Unfortunately a good majority of things are blown out of proportion... gotta just take some of it at face value.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I never really got the point of twitter. Not trying to bash it... I just dont get it. Just seems like facebook only just the updates. Kind of seems like a stalkers haven for people who want to just follow peoples every move. Plus things seem to get blown out of proportion quite a bit whenever a recruit posts something... either positive or negative. Some things posted by recruits can be informative and promising. Unfortunately a good majority of things are blown out of proportion... gotta just take some of it at face value.
I love twitter because I can get updates only from people I care about and news sources I care about. But it also gives anyone with an account the ability to communicate with anybody..even celebrities. Also the whole Vodka Sam thing is one reason why users of Twitter as well as all Social Media need to show responsibility because one stupid thing you post can go viral and change your life. Vodka Sam will be Vodka Sam forever since she posted all of her crap on twitter. Without twitter, she would have only been in the newspaper and the media wouldn't have blown it up nearly as much.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

If you want real time info without having to constantly refresh ESPN.com or be glued to CNN than get a Twitter account and follow the right people. If you want to know how your second cousins daughters 6 month birthday party went you can get on Facebook. I really don't understand how a sports fan doesn't utilize Twitter, that's where I get all my info, especially on ISU.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
there are some cyclone fans that ive seen, fairly young from what it seems, that always tweet recruits. they need to realize these recruits are not their best friends and more often than not just make our fan base look weird. please stop sending them pictures of themselves with different filters on it/photoshopped.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I would get twitter to follow recruits. However, you guys already follow everything and then post it. So I just watch for your twitter update posts. It's easier that way.

tivo2224

Oct 19, 2009
Norwalk
I dont tweet at recruits or tweet period for that matter but following people and tweeting at them is kind of the point of twitter. If they didnt want to be tweeted they would make their accounts private or not have twitter at all. I can understand if its some high school or younger girl and they are trying to hook up with them but this is about football.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
If you want real time info without having to constantly refresh ESPN.com or be glued to CNN than get a Twitter account and follow the right people. If you want to know how your second cousins daughters 6 month birthday party went you can get on Facebook. I really don't understand how a sports fan doesn't utilize Twitter, that's where I get all my info, especially on ISU.

I had to stop following the Cardinals. During every game, I would get tweets every 30 seconds, and it gets annoying. I've hear the other MLB teams are the same. I use ESPN SportsCenter app for scores of all my favorite teams now.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Ok you tell AJ Klien he is a creeper. I will just watch ;)

I think even the most hardcore Twitter defender would have to admit that a former star player tweeting at a recruit is not the same thing as Joe Schmoe in section G who spends to much time obsessing over recruiting.

Cyclophile1

Dec 14, 2009
Overland Park, KS
I had to stop following the Cardinals. During every game, I would get tweets every 30 seconds, and it gets annoying. I've hear the other MLB teams are the same. I use ESPN SportsCenter app for scores of all my favorite teams now.

Well, they are birds. They chirp a lot more than other creatures.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
I understand the value of twitter but I have never bothered to start an account. As far as recruits go... sure it is a bit strange that adults would spend so much time stalking teenage football players online. That being said... people need to remember that some of these kids are attention whores. I am sure there are plenty of recruits who absolutely love the attention as it feeds their ego.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
I don't have any issue with people tweeting at recruits offering a congrats on a game or just to tell them how interested ISU Is in them, but it's gone to far with Clinkscales. The recruiting twitter for ISU come off as extremely desperate. Plus arguing with other schools fans while mentioning Clinkscales look stupid.

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
I don't have any issue with people tweeting at recruits offering a congrats on a game or just to tell them how interested ISU Is in them, but it's gone to far with Clinkscales. The recruiting twitter for ISU come off as extremely desperate. Plus arguing with other schools fans while mentioning Clinkscales look stupid.

Every fan base has idiot fans doing this. Doesn't make it right or somehow better, but we are hardly the only ones who have fans looking stupid.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

This. I held of on Twitter for a long time, not really understanding its appeal. When I joined, I started following reputable news agencies, sports figures, etc. I don't watch the news anymore and I don't read the paper. I get all my news from Twitter, and am able to check it with enough regularity that I usually get news updates very quickly.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I'm too lazy to sort through the bs of recruits and players. The good stuff finds it's way here within the hour. I could see following CW, Hines, Trey Scott, etc., but I can also just go to their websites to see the latest.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

Twitter will be a $30-50B big business company when its IPO goes.

ISU_Clone_28

Mar 27, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
I love twitter because I can get updates only from people I care about and news sources I care about. But it also gives anyone with an account the ability to communicate with anybody..even celebrities. Also the whole Vodka Sam thing is one reason why users of Twitter as well as all Social Media need to show responsibility because one stupid thing you post can go viral and change your life. Vodka Sam will be Vodka Sam forever since she posted all of her crap on twitter. Without twitter, she would have only been in the newspaper and the media wouldn't have blown it up nearly as much.

Yea I can definately appreciate the value there then. Like I said I haven't used it so wasn't completly sure all of what it was used for. Just got turned off from it cause it seemed like they were using various celebrities to push getting onto Twitter pretty hardcore. Lots of value if you can use it for the news feed follows.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron