Cheese Balls/Curds

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyflier

Apr 13, 2006
What places do you think offers the best Cheese Balls/Curds? I really like the ones from the Sports Page. On another note, why doesn't Casey's offer these delicious treats anymore?

exCYtement

Feb 28, 2011
Ames
Hickory Park is solid for cheese curds. If you wanna do fast food, Culver's does them pretty well too...

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Hickory Park still my favorite. Culver's are good though. Sonic's are good but their ranch sucks which ruins the whole thing.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
A&W used to have my favorite cheese curds until I tried BDubs new cheese curds. Hands down my favorite now! Culvers cheese balls are pretty good too.
What places do you think offers the best Cheese Balls/Curds? I really like the ones from the Sports Page. On another note, why doesn't Casey's offer these delicious treats anymore?
Sports Page in Fort Dodge? I forgot about those. Those are amazing too! I probably rank BDubs and Sports Page's cheese balls together at #1

Last edited:

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
I love Cheese curds/balls!!! I wish there was a restaraunt in central Iowa that made the same type of cheese curds you get at the state fair. Although it is probably a good thing I haven't found it yet, because I would probably be about 150lbs heavier than I am now.

Culvers has good cheese balls, certain Kum n Go stores have good ones as well.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Love me some cheese balls...I used to think there was nothing worse than when they were overcooked and the cheese cooked out, leaving you with a pile of hollow cheese flavored breading balls...until I went to a new local place...they must not have had the oil hot yet, and I got a coagulated mass of semi-melted cheese lumps covered in greasy bread crumbs.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I love Cheese curds/balls!!! I wish there was a restaraunt in central Iowa that made the same type of cheese curds you get at the state fair. Although it is probably a good thing I haven't found it yet, because I would probably be about 150lbs heavier than I am now.

Culvers has good cheese balls, certain Kum n Go stores have good ones as well.
Are you talking about the booth with the mouse on it? BDubs cheese balls really remind me of that booth's cheese balls..it might be why I like BDubs' cheese balls so much!

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Honestly, I have yet to have a bad batch of cheese balls. Because I love fried things and cheese, so you put them together and its hard to not please my taste buds.

On a side note: I refuse to call them cheese curds. Even if the menu only says cheese curds, I still say cheese balls. Cheese curds sounds like some type of infection or another type of bowel movement.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Hickory Park, Smokey Ds, and Cheesebites at Tasty Tacos

CycloneGB

Jul 20, 2010
Honestly, I have yet to have a bad batch of cheese balls. Because I love fried things and cheese, so you put them together and its hard to not please my taste buds.

On a side note: I refuse to call them cheese curds. Even if the menu only says cheese curds, I still say cheese balls. Cheese curds sounds like some type of infection or another type of bowel movement.

Cheese curds are the little chunks of cheese that you buy from cheese stores up in Wisconsin. The kind that you can tell how fresh they are by the squeak.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I went to a St.Paul Saints game this summer and had my first ever cheese curds. I was hooked. Went to a Minnesota Twins game and they were great as well. I got cheese curds everywhere I could find them.

And that my friends is how I gained about 9 pounds this summer. Oh and Grain Belt Nordeast beer.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I'm spoiled because I live in the epicenter of cheesecurd land. Culver's are good (and what I would have called best prior to living in WI) but pretty much any restaurant worth their salt around here has ones that blow Culver's away.

My favorites now are the ones from Craftsman Table and Tap (they serve them to you in a bucket, that is a sign of goodness!), Buck & Honey's, and the Tipsy Cow. The biggest difference between them and Culver's is that the breading is very light, flaky, and there's more cheese.

Spotted Cow battered Tipsy Cow curds for your viewing pleasure:

Tipsy+Cow.jpg

Reactions: SenorCy

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
I'm spoiled because I live in the epicenter of cheesecurd land. Culver's are good (and what I would have called best prior to living in WI) but pretty much any restaurant worth their salt around here has ones that blow Culver's away.

My favorites now are the ones from Craftsman Table and Tap (they serve them to you in a bucket, that is a sign of goodness!), Buck & Honey's, and the Tipsy Cow. The biggest difference between them and Culver's is that the breading is very light, flaky, and there's more cheese.

Spotted Cow battered Tipsy Cow curds for your viewing pleasure:

Tipsy+Cow.jpg
GET IN MAH BELLY. Spotted Cow is the nectar of the gods