Think injuries are an excuse? Check out Missouri

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
People where saying at the beginning of the season that Gary Pinkel was on the hot seat I never got it. That guy didn't forget how to coach in 2012. He wasn't a worse coach in 2012 than he was in 2009. Paul Rhoads and his staff aren't a worse staff now than they were last year.

Anyway, last year Missouri won 2 SEC games. They beat 0-8 Kentucky and 1-7 Tennesse in OT (Tenn only win was against Kentucky). People were questioning Pinkel and his ability to coach in the SEC. Look at them this year and what does it tell you? When you have that many players get hurt in a year (especially on the offensive line), you simply aren't going to be successful. These guys are healthy now and their depth is better off for playing guys last year that wouldn't have normally. They are a 4th quarter collapse away from being undefeated and coasting to the SEC championship.

I read this article 2012 Injuries will make Missouri's 2013 offensive line better - Rock M Nation last year about how the injuries in 2012 would help the 2013 line for Missouri. It sure looks like it has. Why can't the same happen for Iowa State next year? Why can't this disastrous season turn into a positive in the future? You are getting young guys valuable playing experience that they wouldn't have normally received. Next year you are a year older, healthier, and you have more playing depth than you would have normally had.

Injuries are killing this football team. Mentally it has to be getting to them as well. But it doesn't mean the future of this program is in worse shape now that it was 2 years ago. I'm still of the belief that it's in better shape and we will see it next year with added experience and more importantly….health!

Go Cyclones!

Reactions: Aclone and BBHMagic

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Mizzou has had consistent offensive coaching for a long time. That is the huge difference.

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
Mizzou has had consistent coaching for a long time.

Fixed.

It took Gary Pinkel to his 7th year at Missouri before he really put them on top. They were only 2 games over .500 his first 6 years there. They stuck with him there and they built up depth.

Point is though that injuries can decimate most teams. Iowa last year is a good example. 4 wins and they were lucky to win that many. Their offensive line had some huge injuries. This year they will win 7 and go to a bowl game.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
There are lots of reasons we are having the season we are having, injuries certainly a big part of it. At Iowa state we have such small room for error. We don't have the depth to sustain success through injury riddled seasons.

Things could be a lot worse. I hope our offensive line coach is the real deal, it gives me hope that this years youth and inexperience will at least improve and become serviceable next season.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
I agree Adam but they have had their share of injuries this year including the loss of Franklin and are in the drivers seat. The killer is we were bad when the first team was in there, beaten by UNI and Iowa.

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
There are lots of reasons we are having the season we are having, injuries certainly a big part of it. At Iowa state we have such small room for error. We don't have the depth to sustain success through injury riddled seasons.

Things could be a lot worse. I hope our offensive line coach is the real deal, it gives me hope that this years youth and inexperience will at least improve and become serviceable next season.

For the first time all year I felt good about the line yesterday. 7th different line in 7 games and they pass blocked really well

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
I agree Adam but they have had their share of injuries this year including the loss of Franklin and are in the drivers seat. The killer is we were bad when the first team was in there, beaten by UNI and Iowa.

No excuse to ever lose to UNI. Ever. So yes I agree. That's a killer.

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
ISU has always had an issue with depth. ISU starters have always been average, however, if the backups need to play its bad news bears.

F5cy

May 1, 2011
Washington, D.C.
Mizzou was 5-7 last season and their 'blowout' (20 points) losses were to #7 Georgia, @ #7 South Carolina, ~30 points to #1 Alabama, and @ #9 TaMU. They also lost to #7 Florida by a TD in the swamp (14-7), by 4 points to a 9 win Vandy team and by 4 points to an 8 win Syracuse team.

Sorry, Adam, I just don't see the similarity.

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
Injuries cost us the iowa game. I firmly believe that. Several third stringers on the line and sam was moving like my grandma on that ankle.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
The more likely reason we suck is that our offensive coaches suck and are incapable of scoring more than 20 points a game.

Our defensive coaches are better schemers but can't recruit, and the defense sucks this year because of it.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Missouri also has a competent OC and QB, even their backup is head and shoulders above anyone on this roster. They were nowhere this bad in their "down" year.

LawyerClone

Jul 28, 2012
Mizzou was 5-7 last season and their 'blowout' (20 points) losses were to #7 Georgia, @ #7 South Carolina, ~30 points to #1 Alabama, and @ #9 TaMU. They also lost to #7 Florida by a TD in the swamp (14-7), by 4 points to a 9 win Vandy team and by 4 points to an 8 win Syracuse team.

If you think Adam is saying we're going to be a Top 10 team next year, then you're not going to.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Injuries cost us the iowa game. I firmly believe that. Several third stringers on the line and sam was moving like my grandma on that ankle.
Weren't we healthy on our defensive line? That's the position we lost the game without a doubt.

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011

You are looking a little to detailed at it. Missouri is going to win 10 games this year in my opinion. They didn't just magically get 5 games better this year. Injuries killed them last year. Healthy this year and you are seeing the same program we saw their last couple years while in the Big 12.

I firmly believe we will see a team next year that competes like we did last year. I think it's a team that goes to a bowl game and has a chance of winning anywhere from 6-8 games being healthy. That's my comparison.

Me State

Oct 19, 2007
I hate that every time I start to think everything is about to go down the drain someone comes along with info like this to get me excited again. Just let me be angry for a while little while!!!

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Missouri also has a competent OC and QB, even their backup is head and shoulders above anyone on this roster. They were nowhere this bad in their "down" year.
Ya they didn't lose to an FCS team nor give up 71 points to even Johnny football. It's a bad argument as I question if even our starters are Big 12 caliber.