Did anyone listen to Coach's Corner this morning?

MarkCorrigan

Sep 16, 2013
If so, I am curious what your thoughts were. I got this sinking, hopelessly pessimistic feeling when Rhoads was addressing what needed to be fixed, and I wanted to explain why.

When asked what needed to be improved on offense, Rhoads singled out very few specifics, and instead mentioned almost every aspect of it (need better screen passes and quick slant routes, but also need to throw the ball downfield more...need to run more to free up the passing, but also need to mix up the calling so that we are not running every time, etc.). Basically, that amounts to him saying we need to do everything better, which troubled me because such unfocused, generalist responses are often given by people who are in over their head and have no idea how to fix the mess they are in.

For an analogy, imagine if the chairman and CEO of a company addressed their board by simply saying that the business needed to become more profitable. Imagine if the only details they provided were that sales needs to do a better job, marketing also needs to do a better job, and efficiencies needed to be identified. If I were on that board, my confidence would sink and I would start questioning whether we had the right leadership in place.

Unfortunately, I think there are a lot of parallels here. Rhoads has been sounding a lot more like a man who has no answers for the problems this team is facing, and his seeming failure to take any actions to address them only gives me further doubt. I am sure many head coaches endure seasons like this where they are at a complete loss for solutions, but is especially hard to see it happening to a coach who previously spoke with such conviction and confidence in his and his team's abilities.

I am crossing my fingers and hoping for the best, despite my growing doubts.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
He does have no answers at this point. We will be lucky to get a win or two at this level of play. This really looks like a Chiz team at this point starting with the FCS team that now has lost four straight.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
This was my feeling during the Liberty Bowl.......but especially after the Liberty Bowl when nothing was changed as if everything was just fine and dandy and all the good 'ol boys could keep their salaries.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
I just got out of it that there were a lot of things that needed fixed, and in the effort of time he didn't go into specifics, really...did you expect him to in a quick interview?

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
H. This really looks like a Chiz team at this point starting with the FCS team that now has lost four straight.

Go back and watch some of the those John Walters Cyclone shows after the game in Chiz's last year.....man....it is so bad. Chiz should get and oscar for sitting there and not screaming. The underlying disgust is palpable.

nj829

Mar 18, 2006
Northwest Arkansas
I think he knows he is going to have to make some changes to the staff as the current system isn't getting it done, and knows there is no quick fix this season. Sadly, ISU has only lost 2 games by more than 1 possession and it feels like every game has been a 70-0 loss based on how much ineptness has been shown.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Sadly, ISU has only lost 2 games by more than 1 possession and it feels like every game has been a 70-0 loss based on how much ineptness has been shown.
That's just spin - the UNI and Iowa losses were not really that close...

MarkCorrigan

Sep 16, 2013
I just got out of it that there were a lot of things that needed fixed, and in the effort of time he didn't go into specifics, really...did you expect him to in a quick interview?

If his token statements about improving the offense were accompanied by, well, actual improvement in the offense, then no, the lack of specifics would not bother me. But when we see the same problems again and again with no apparent adjustments being made, despite coach's supposed awareness of what needs to be fixed, then it concerns me.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
its not just the coaches he needs to change, its his ideas as well, because that's what the coaches are carrying out and teaching. our problems are bigger than just a new OC, biggeR DL and a healthy OL.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
This was my feeling during the Liberty Bowl.......but especially after the Liberty Bowl when nothing was changed as if everything was just fine and dandy and all the good 'ol boys could keep their salaries.

Man... you sure are bitter about the Liberty Bowl. Did something horrific other than the football game happen to you in Memphis? If so, i'd understand your bringing the Liberty Bowl up every time the Cyclone football team is discussed. In every thread.

I mean... who doesn't remember the Liberty Bowl? After all, it is the most Liberty Bowl of all of the bowls. Including the Liberty Bowl.

Last edited:

MarkCorrigan

Sep 16, 2013
Man... you sure are bitter about the Liberty Bowl. Did something horrific other than the football game happen to you in Memphis? If so, i'd understand your bringing the Liberty Bowl up every time the Cyclone football team is discussed.

I mean... who doesn't remember the Liberty Bowl. After all, it is the most Liberty Bowl of all of the bowls. Including the Liberty Bowl.

Did you Liberty Bowl the Liberty Bowl last Liberty Bowl, Liberty Bowl?

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Wholesale changes in your staff in year is usually a sign that you have problems beyond repair. It usually doesn't work, but it's Paul's only hope.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Go back and watch some of the those John Walters Cyclone shows after the game in Chiz's last year.....man....it is so bad. Chiz should get and oscar for sitting there and not screaming. The underlying disgust is palpable.

Rhoads is starting to sound a lot like Chizik as this season grinds on. Using a lot of generalities, making observations that your average fan could make, and sounding befuddled at times while not able to specifically point to offensive issues to be corrected.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
If his token statements about improving the offense were accompanied by, well, actual improvement in the offense, then no, the lack of specifics would not bother me. But when we see the same problems again and again with no apparent adjustments being made, despite coach's supposed awareness of what needs to be fixed, then it concerns me.

I came away from that actually relieved that he was generally identifying the offensive issues, and short of saying that those coaches aren't getting it done. He isn't going to make a change in the middle of the season, and he is taking the heat for that, but I don't feel Rhoads is in over his head.

MarkCorrigan

Sep 16, 2013
I came away from that actually relieved that he was generally identifying the offensive issues, and short of saying that those coaches aren't getting it done. He isn't going to make a change in the middle of the season, and he is taking the heat for that, but I don't feel Rhoads is in over his head.

I guess one can find relief in our coach identifying issues that anyone who has watched more than three football games could identify, but I do not understand why he would not make any changes mid-season if he thought they would help this team improve and win games. Adjustments need to be made on a game-by-game or even play-by-play basis, not once a year during the offseason. Doggedly sticking to the same failed strategy will get us nowhere (as we are finding out).

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
I guess one can find relief in our coach identifying issues that anyone who has watched more than three football games could identify, but I do not understand why he would not make any changes mid-season if he thought they would help this team improve and win games. Adjustments need to be made on a game-by-game or even play-by-play basis, not once a year during the offseason. Doggedly sticking to the same failed strategy will get us nowhere (as we are finding out).

I agree, and most on the site agree too. Rhoads has made his opinion known that he doesn't want to make a mid-season change. He is good about keeping everyone an arm's length away from the inner-workings, and so you typically wouldn't even get that much info out of him, usually placing responsibility on himself and falling on the sword in the realm of public opinion. So to me, when he starts openly discussing issues he never usually discusses, that's one step closer to a change.

If something doesn't happen at the end of the season though...

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Someone go drive by bergstrom...the coaches office lights should be on.

Like him or hate him, Bill Snyder did what he did by tireless hours studying his own team and opponents and burning the midnight oil. AND fundamentals.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
So he should publicly say what isn't working so opposing teams can just zero in on it? Expect more detailed explanation post season.