how many schools keep a coach

cycloneinpdx

Jul 10, 2013
Twin Cities
We aren't OU or Texas. Honestly, if next year is like this, maybe we look at other options. But don't forget, even with this year, he has gone bowling in 3/5 years... that would be a vast improvement over the majority of our history. Next year, youth won't be an excuse, so if we go 2-10 next year, sure we might leave him.

Just don't forget who we are. We have a long way to go before we can expect another good coach to roll into town. Even K-State, with the vast success of Snyder, had trouble replacing him with another coach that was high quality, until he came back. We might want more, but ISU is a tough, tough place to coach, and it's not a dream destination for a lot of coaches... and it won't help the program to get in another hotshot coordinator (like Chizik) who comes in for 2/3 years and finds a better job, and continue that... we need some measure of stability.

Right now, Rhoads is the better than anyone we could expect to hire, and he's earned at least one more year... it would be a shame to lose an otherwise good, committed coach over one down year and have nothing better to replace him with (and lets be honest, until this year, news that Rhoads left for another job would but this whole site on suicide watch).

Reactions: ISC and pourcyne

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
We aren't OU or Texas. Honestly, if next year is like this, maybe we look at other options. But don't forget, even with this year, he has gone bowling in 3/5 years... that would be a vast improvement over the majority of our history. Next year, youth won't be an excuse, so if we go 2-10 next year, sure we might leave him.

Just don't forget who we are. We have a long way to go before we can expect another good coach to roll into town. Even K-State, with the vast success of Snyder, had trouble replacing him with another coach that was high quality, until he came back. We might want more, but ISU is a tough, tough place to coach, and it's not a dream destination for a lot of coaches... and it won't help the program to get in another hotshot coordinator (like Chizik) who comes in for 2/3 years and finds a better job, and continue that... we need some measure of stability.

Right now, Rhoads is the better than anyone we could expect to hire, and he's earned at least one more year... it would be a shame to lose an otherwise good, committed coach over one down year and have nothing better to replace him with (and lets be honest, until this year, news that Rhoads left for another job would but this whole site on suicide watch).

You tell 'em, Coach!

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
with the record Rhoads has?

All of them do when they are in our financial situation and still owe their coach as much as we do to Rhoads.

How many times does it need to be said that ISU cannot afford to fire Rhoads. It isn't going to happen. It can't happen. Financially, it c-a-n-n-o-t happen.

The best we can hope for is to get rid of a bunch of assistants. But I'm doubtful if we'll even see that? Rhoads is pretty darn stubborn and comfy with his friends underneath him I'm afraid.

Doctor

Aug 19, 2011
For our next coach, I hope we take a young guy. Someone who knows a lot about the game, but just hasn't been given an opportunity. I would take a young unknown guy right now over what we currently have. Let him hire some young up and coming assistants, too.

CPR feels stale to me, already.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
All of them do when they are in our financial situation and still owe their coach as much as we do to Rhoads.

How many times does it need to be said that ISU cannot afford to fire Rhoads. It isn't going to happen. It can't happen. Financially, it c-a-n-n-o-t happen.

The best we can hope for is to get rid of a bunch of assistants. But I'm doubtful if we'll even see that? Rhoads is pretty darn stubborn and comfy with his friends underneath him I'm afraid.
I ******* hate when clonedude is right.

cycloneinpdx

Jul 10, 2013
Twin Cities
For our next coach, I hope we take a young guy. Someone who knows a lot about the game, but just hasn't been given an opportunity. I would take a young unknown guy right now over what we currently have. Let him hire some young up and coming assistants, too.

CPR feels stale to me, already.

You mean like Chizik? That one really worked well for us. We should do that again. How exactly do you plan to keep the young unproven guy here if he starts to succeed? He'll get snapped up by a 'big' program no time.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
You mean like Chizik? That one really worked well for us. We should do that again. How exactly do you plan to keep the young unproven guy here if he starts to succeed? He'll get snapped up by a 'big' program no time.
I would LOVE to lose a coach because they were too successful here.

Doctor

Aug 19, 2011

This is 100% Pollard's fault and he should be held accountable for it.

CPR wasn't going anywhere and hadn't done anything to warrant an extension as long and as rich as he received. He should've learned something from the college S and E of here.

We're paying $2 million per win, so far this year.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Me, too. I'm willing to deal with that problem.
"I see it looks like you have ridiculous offensive stats on NCAA Football 2003. Congratulations CycloneErik, we'd love to trot you out on Saturdays to represent Iowa State University as the Head Football Coach."

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
For the record, I think Rhoads should stay (and he will), but after this year, his overall record will most likely be in the DanMcCarney, Donnie Duncan, Criner, etc. region.

cycloneinpdx

Jul 10, 2013
Twin Cities
I would LOVE to lose a coach because they were too successful here.

That might not be a 9 win season. That might be turning around a bad program and getting competitive/showing promise, and then they get picked up before they become too big of a commodity. In the short term, you totally want that... I agree.

But by the time that you have to replace that young coach with another young/inexperienced coach, do you honestly think the second one will just pick up where the first left off? That they could continue to build, despite their inexperience? Sure, we might have a good year, or two, but it doesn't change the long term outlook--and honestly could hurt the program over time, if you make one wrong hire. I still trust Rhoads to build this team and program up, more than I would trust some young, unproven guy.

Doctor

Aug 19, 2011

Thank god we don't have to worry about anyone stealing CPR away from us. Our current situation is much better than having a guy succeed and leave.

Our large portion of our fanbase is far too comfortable with being a doormat which makes Pollard's job the easiest in the country.

10 years $20 million is what we're paying CPR.

Yeah, there's no way we could get a decent coach for that type of $$.

Speech! Speech!!!

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site

I don't think CPR should be fired at this point. But that decision shouldn't be decided by his contract. Pollard is responsible for handcuffing the athletic department in that fashion. He continues to make the same mistake over and over. Chizik had an extension on the table before he bolted. GMac was given an extension, and Creighton bailed us out of that.