Joel Lanning

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
I wonder if Joel is licking his chops thinking about next year. With a seasoned Offensive line and lazard coming in I think the offense could be salty if there is even an average QB at the helm.

Does anybody know how well things are going for him on the scout team and if they expect him to compete for the starting job next year? Or am I just falling into the trap of thinking the back-up QB is going to be the next great thing?

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
The chances that Lanning, as a redshirt freshman, is going to be head an shoulders above both Sam and Grant is extremely slim.

vortex

Jan 30, 2010
I would be very surprised if Lanning plays very much. If he does play a lot it probably won't be a good sign for how the season goes.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
My hope would be that Lanning would get real good at running the zone read and could be relied on for much needed 3-4 yard carries, ala Collin Klein or Blake Bell. The guy is solid and is a good runner. I think he could be very successful situational player next year and maybe, if his arm strength and accuracy develops, run the show later in his career.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Lanning rhymes with Manning.

Coaching decisions don't get much easier than that.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
No, that would be Rohach.

You are falling into the trap of thinking the 4th string QB is going to be the next great thing.
If the backup is always the better than the starter then the backup of the backup of the backup must be unstoppable!

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
The chances that Lanning, as a redshirt freshman, is going to be head an shoulders above both Sam and Grant is extremely slim.

I agree that chances are slim, but I'd say his chances are a lot better right now of actually playing next year than they were 2 months ago.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Rhoads had some pretty good things to say about Lanning when asked a few weeks ago what younger players are standing out in practice. When asked in general terms the first guy that Rhoads brought up was Lanning. My guess is that Lanning looks like the best of the ISU QB's because he is running the scout team offense... AKA... he is running every teams offense except Messingham's. That has to be a major factor in his success on the practice field.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
I was hoping we could imply from Rhoad's comments on Lanning at the B12 teleconference last week that Lanning was starting to turn some heads and might compete for the job next year.

I guess that's not the case.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
I hope SR is the quarterback until the end of 2015, he needs to be.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron