Friday OT - Brag up your story

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I know that this doesn't seem like a traditional thread topic for a sports board, but I actually know a lot of guys who like to brag up their stories, but there's not really a lot of opportunity to do so. If you're married, how did you propose to your spouse? If you aren't, and are either close or planning on it someday, do you have an idea of what you'll do, or know a good story? EDIT - also, include really good gift-giving stories, etc.!

On our anniversary, we went out for a nice dinner. We went to the park, and my now-husband pushed me on a swing. He came in front of me, and acted like I had swung into him and racked him in the balls. He dropped to his knees, so I stopped the swing abruptly to see if he was okay - and he came up with a diamond.

Last edited:

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
My first wife, I proposed while she was on Santas lap. Earlier I had arranged for the photo taker to snap a picture as I got down on one knee to catch the moment as she was surprised. It worked.... hands flapping, surprised look. And her legs were spread enough that you could see clean up her skirt (no panties) from the picture taken.

Now that I think about it... that was a warning sign.

-keep

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
My first wife, I proposed while she was on Santas lap. Earlier I had arranged for the photo taker to snap a picture as I got down on one knee to catch the moment as she was surprised. It worked.... hands flapping, surprised look. And her legs were spread enough that you could see clean up her skirt from the picture taken.

Now that I think about it... that was a warning sign.

-keep

Keep, I just burst out laughing, but a totally "that's not good" laugh. You poor man.

isuska

Jun 22, 2011
Ankeny, IA
I walked with my wife onto Central Campus, on the sidewalk between Beardshear and Curtiss. I had a buddy take pictures as I knelt down with the Campanile in the background.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I walked with my wife onto Central Campus, on the sidewalk between Beardshear and Curtiss. I had a buddy take pictures as I knelt down with the Campanile in the background.

That is a gorgeous backdrop!

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I know that this doesn't seem like a traditional thread topic for a sports board, but I actually know a lot of guys who like to brag up their stories, but there's not really a lot of opportunity to do so. If you're married, how did you propose to your spouse? If you aren't, and are either close or planning on it someday, do you have an idea of what you'll do, or know a good story? EDIT - also, include really good gift-giving stories, etc.!

On our anniversary, we went out for a nice dinner. We went to the park, and my now-husband pushed me on a swing. He came in front of me, and acted like I had swung into him and racked him in the balls. He dropped to his knees, so I stopped the swing abruptly to see if he was okay - and he came up with a diamond.

The old "hit the jewels for a jewel" technique...well done Mr. Angie

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I made a decision last night on what I wanted for dinner and it only took 5 minutes. That's a big commitment for me.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010

Somewhat similar story, although I didn't live in Ames and I convinced my now wife I was in town for a conference. I called in a favor and the campanile played the song she wanted to walk down the aisle to as I then asked her. Lot of moving parts to convince her I was in town for another reason, friends calling me to make it seem I was in Ames for that reason, and, of course, timing. It was raining, so I had to help her understand that walking in the rain was silly, we NEEDED to go meet our friend as planned and that provided a good reason to wait atop the steps of Curtiss Hall.

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
Erik and I have a not what to do story we observed.

We were at a nice restaurant near Valentine's Day Near us was a couple that had a huge bouquet on the table. The waiter had come by and told us that the guy was going to propose and then brought a box to the table. The guy tells the girl to look in it. She started digging what we think was cake. After five minutes she stops. The guy starts looking panicked and digs in the box too asking the girl to help him some more. After a few more minutes they finally find the ring. He gets down and proposes, but the girl swings her body away from him (upset with the whole ordeal).

Thankfully, she's just teasing him after a few moments turns around and says yes! Then the waiter goes back to them and turns to the whole seating area and announces that she said yes. They had no idea the whole area had been watching them.

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
I have been told by my girlfriend that when I purpose there needs to be a cameraman and no cliche food ideas.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Erik and I have a not what to do story we observed.

We were at a nice restaurant near Valentine's Day Near us was a couple that had a huge bouquet on the table. The waiter had come by and told us that the guy was going to propose and then brought a box to the table. The guy tells the girl to look in it. She started digging what we think was cake. After five minutes she stops. The guy starts looking panicked and digs in the box too asking the girl to help him some more. After a few more minutes they finally find the ring. He gets down and proposes, but the girl swings her body away from him (upset with the whole ordeal).

Thankfully, she's just teasing him after a few moments turns around and says yes! Then the waiter goes back to them and turns to the whole seating area and announces that she said yes. They had no idea the whole area had been watching them.

I want to hear Erik's story because it probably involves coupons.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
My story sucked. It was a few days after Christmas, and I had planned on proposing at dinner at a nice restaurant. As dinner went on the whole thing just felt really weird. For some reason I hadn't quite anticipated the number of other people in the restaurant, and the whole thing just would have been weird. I had let our family and friends know I was going to propose, and had everyone waiting back at home for a little celebration-- so the pressure was on, I had to figure out some way to do it. The restaurant had also asked if the reservations were made for any special purpose, and I said I planned to propose, so I was also worried they would bring out some kind of dessert or something and blow my cover.

Anyway, dinner got over and I still hadn't asked. When we got outside I said lets go on a little walk. There was a big, beautiful christmas tree not too far away, and I figured that was my best shot. I suggested we go on a little walk. Of course, it was late December and it was absolutely freezing and my now wife had a dress on, and understandable said lets just go home. Realizing she was not going to go on a walk with me, and now becoming increasingly desperate, I told her that I had the keys to the car, I was going on a walk and she could follow me or not. She followed, somewhat angrily, behind me and eventually we got to a good spot and I proposed. I further blew it by not getting on one knee...there was snow on the ground and I had dress pants on, c'mon.

I suck. Shoulda just gone with the jumbotron at the Jack.

Benny34

Nov 29, 2007
Not my story but a buddy of mine maintains a bucket list. One of the items was to go campaniling on homecoming. His fiance and him when campaniling on homecoming. During it he pulled out his bucket list to cross off campaniling and had added propose to Jenessa. He proposed there at the campanile!

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Somewhat similar story, although I didn't live in Ames and I convinced my now wife I was in town for a conference. I called in a favor and the campanile played the song she wanted to walk down the aisle to as I then asked her. Lot of moving parts to convince her I was in town for another reason, friends calling me to make it seem I was in Ames for that reason, and, of course, timing. It was raining, so I had to help her understand that walking in the rain was silly, we NEEDED to go meet our friend as planned and that provided a good reason to wait atop the steps of Curtiss Hall.

That's pretty awesome - who is even in charge of the music at the campanile? I guess I've never asked - the music dept? Administration?

My story sucked. It was a few days after Christmas, and I had planned on proposing at dinner at a nice restaurant. As dinner went on the whole thing just felt really weird. For some reason I hadn't quite anticipated the number of other people in the restaurant, and the whole thing just would have been weird. I had let our family and friends know I was going to propose, and had everyone waiting back at home for a little celebration-- so the pressure was on, I had to figure out some way to do it. The restaurant had also asked if the reservations were made for any special purpose, and I said I planned to propose, so I was also worried they would bring out some kind of dessert or something and blow my cover.

Anyway, dinner got over and I still hadn't asked. When we got outside I said lets go on a little walk. There was a big, beautiful christmas tree not too far away, and I figured that was my best shot. I suggested we go on a little walk. Of course, it was late December and it was absolutely freezing and my now wife had a dress on, and understandable said lets just go home. Realizing she was not going to go on a walk with me, and now becoming increasingly desperate, I told her that I had the keys to the car, I was going on a walk and she could follow me or not. She followed, somewhat angrily, behind me and eventually we got to a good spot and I proposed. I further blew it by not getting on one knee...there was snow on the ground and I had dress pants on, c'mon.

I suck. Shoulda just gone with the jumbotron at the Jack.

That sucks that nothing worked out right. My husband's first attempt was going to be in the little park right outside Lucullan's (we'd just eaten there), but that guy in the dress was hanging out there, so I don't think he wanted that guy to be our first witness.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
My proposal was pretty lame, really. I went out to Colorado with my girlfriend, month of March-ish, to visit my brother. I told him I was going to propose when I felt the moment was right -- thought maybe while we were skiing or something. Never did ask her while we were visiting him. Bought her a pair of rock-climbing shoes in Boulder, and then drove up to Estes Park. We went bouldering at the Twin Owls park just north of town, and climbed this big rock. While we were on top, I said in my smooth way "So...are you gonna marry me or what?" to which she responded, "Are you asking me officially or just curious?" Oh that clever wife of mine. I was pretty sure she would say yes (and she did), but I have to admit, I was pretty nervous about the whole deal.