Most well rounded team of Hoiberg era thus far?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
Yes I am drinking Kool-Aid but its not my fault. We have been predicted to finish 4th in what should be a solid Big 12 and that will result in another NCAA tourney trip if we do finish in top 5 of Big 12. The analyst might have good reasoning. Not only is Hoiberg well respected and his system clearly has worked no matter his players, but the guy is a genius at drawing up plays that utilizes his players best.

Something else to note, according to CBS we have:
-One of the best, sought out transfers in the country in Deandre Kane.
-We have two of top 30 big men in the NCAA in Niang/Ejim.
-We have one of the top 30 freshman in the country in Matt Thomas.
-We have two of the top 100 best players in the NCAA in Niang/Ejim

Not to mention a very deep bench in Long, Morris, Bluford, SDW, Gibson, etc.

Pass the Kool-aid all around, but I think we are in for a treat this year. Not to mention what should be record attendances at Hilton with the season tickets and majority of games already solid out with a month unitl bball season! We may struggle early on in non-conference play while Hoiberg is finding the best line ups but I think we should be solid yet again! Is it basketball season yet?

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Could very well be possible. Last year's team was an offensive dream...defense, not so much. We let up a lot of baskets down the stretch of close games. That can't happen especially when the calls went against us.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
I don't see us struggling as badly as we did last year. Niang and Ejim have played together for a year now, so they will know how to dominate the front court together. Kane didn't have to sit out last year, so he's not going to be rusty like Lucious was at the start of last season. We have a good team and I don't expect a slow start at all. If we can beat Michigan, we earn ourselves a spot in the top 25. Hopefully by the time we play Iowa we are a top 15 team and they are as well to make it such a highly sought after game. It's definitely possible.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Non con will be pretty tough for this team but when they get it put together they could be just as good, if not better, than the teams from the last 2 years.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I think last years team will be better than this years but there is still a lot we don't know yet so anything's possible. I think the year after will be big for this team though.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
This will be his third best team in four years. Will we be in the NCAA tournament? Yes. Will we be as competitive in the third round of the NCAA tourney? No.

IlliniCy

May 21, 2008
Travis Hines@TravisHines2115m
Take it for what it's worth, but Hoiberg said Ejim has been shooting 45 percent from 3-point range through the first 2 weeks of practice.

While always my fifth choice to shoot the trey, I was never bothered when Mel did when within the flow of the offense. If he's improved his outside shot, this much, he becomes as difficult to guard as Georges. Matchup nightmare for our opponents.

IowaCYcler

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
North Liberty
A recruiting article in Lindy's Magazine had ISU 8th with this years class.

"Honest to goodness, at some point over the next few seasons, Morris and Thomas will be talked and written about as being the very best college backcourts anywhere, in any region or any conference---no matter how high-powered the programs. "

Pretty high praise! It's going to be fun watching them and them add then add R. Vaughn!

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I hope you're right about the "solid Big 12" part, but I think we are going to have a rough time getting more than 4 to the dance this year unless Oklahoma or KState over-perform.
I did enjoy the Kool-aid though.
original.gif

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I'm not concerned about Mel's shooting.

What is Kane shooting from 3? That's more important in my mind.

It is not his strength, although I'm sure it will improve. Regardless, it sounds like he gets into the lane at will and makes pretty good decisions with the ball. Even if he doesn't hit a lot of 3's for us, he can be a huge factor in Mel, Thomas, Niang, etc hitting some outside shots.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
It is not his strength, although I'm sure it will improve. Regardless, it sounds like he gets into the lane at will and makes pretty good decisions with the ball. Even if he doesn't hit a lot of 3's for us, he can be a huge factor in Mel, Thomas, Niang, etc hitting some outside shots.

Agreed, but if the guy who has the ball in his hands most of the time doesn't shoot better than 25% from 3 it will cause problems. I am confident that Fred will fix his shot and at least make it a threat thought.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
He needs to be driving the ball due to new rules.

If they don't respect his 3-point shot, they'll sag off of him and driving will be much more difficult. He doesn't have to make a ton or a super high percentage, he just has to be enough of a threat for the defense to respect his shot.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I agree with much of whats been said. I have a little less faith, however, in our depth. Guys you mentioned as a strength off the bench-- Long, Morris, Bluford, SDW-- have all yet to see any meaningful action in a D1 game. I think the team has all kinds of potential, and I love that the strength of our team comes from the versatility of our frontcourt as I think that is Fred's best tool to create matchup issues, but I am a bit cautious about our lack of experience beyond Georges and Melvin.

Although, I will say it appears Fred is very happy with how the team has looked in practice.

Last edited:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Frankly, we know DG was the lowest.
I consider RW edition the next lowest.
Our team this year has lots more potential than even the Babb team, yet will approximate them. Yet, by the NCAA roll around time, we could have ten players contributing and be a 40 minute handful. If you have five shooters on the floor, your are tough. If you know how to play defense, you will even be tougher.

Fred is lightyears ahead of CPR in poerformance.
CLJ and FH are a better matchup.