How confident are you in Paul Rhoads ability to make ISU a winning program

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
Honest question. Will CPR ever win 8-10 games at Iowa State or do we have to be realistic with abilities and realize that 6 wins may be his ceiling? My buddy and I were debating this earlier today and I think someday Rhoads may have a good season where these upsets and passion result in some real momentum for our program and that the upsets against ranked teams aren't just flukes but an actual representation of a good football team.

Maybe 2015 is my guess, until then I'm just going to try and be realistic and hope to see improvement. However, I will not settle with 3 wins. What bothered me most with his press conference today was when he mentioned, "No Iowa State is not past the blow out losses at this point, referring to OU and Utah in 2010" That really bothers me. No coach should settle for 50+ point losses and ever deem it "acceptable" and he pulled the "This team is young excuse, expect bad losses"

Anyways, just something to ponder. I think he is right for Iowa state but he is going to need to make offensive changes at the end of the year for me to have any confidence. He mentioned today that the offense has been quote "God awful, terrible and that side of the ball is where we need to improve most" but if Messingham isn't gone then how serious is he really with moving us forward in terms of offense?

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
If he doesn't make a major change with the offense at the end of the year I am going to have to go with zero.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I still stand by him and really respect the fact that he has been one of the only ones out there who has been willing to stand by us. This isn't an easy job to take and stick with through thick and thin, because there will be thick and thin here regardless of which coach we have.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I think he can make them exactly what he has shown. 6-7 wins at best with low seasons like this one. I don't think he has what it takes to make them a contender in the big 12.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
I think Paul can win here. It will be telling to see how he addresses the Offense in the off season. If he rolls out Messingham with this Offense next year they will have to win 6+ or the seat will be hot.

Juco recruits will be huge this year all over the field as well.

I was hoping Kleinakis would have a positive affect on the OLine, and considering injuries who knows if it is his system or just a young group. The Pistol looks that we have added as a wrinkle seem to work, but we don't seem to stick with them.

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
I don't know if he'll ever win 10 games, but from what I've seen so far, if he can't I don't believe there is a coach out there that can and would be willing to come to Ames to try.

That's not to say I'm settling. That's to say as of today, I still have faith in CPR to take the next step. I just hope it happens soon.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I don't know if he'll ever win 10 games, but from what I've seen so far, if he can't I don't believe there is a coach out there that can and would be willing to come to Ames to try.

No one has ever won 10 games here...that's how difficult it is.

I still have 100% faith in Rhoads although I hope he corrects some of the offense issues are adjusts the staff accordingly. If he goes into next season with the same group of coaches, that faith will dwindle.

I'll tell you what isn't going to get us any close to 8-10 wins. Firing him.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
All comes down to line play and the offense, and really just the line play.
If he can get that down, and a consistent offense, then CPR is exactly the guy we've thought, and he gets it done.

If not, then he can't.

I think he can, pending some offensive moves that need to happen, and development that needs to happen.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
It wouldn't be fair to ask me this question 3 days after the Baylor loss. Give it a few weeks and see where ISU is.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Show me a major University that has never been "blown out" or skunked in a game. Saying we are not past that is simply being realistic.

We are certainly capable of flashes of brilliance, but I don't think we will be a dominant force in football in the near future, regardless of the coach. It's tough to get 100+ top recruits to come from southern regions to play outside in Iowa in November. The coach here has to be able to coach mid-range talent into contenders, and that's not a job for someone who sees this as a stepping-stone job. It takes someone who is committed to the team, and to the university, and it takes time. We don't have the luxury of being 5-deep with four & five stars at every position. Injuries & graduations will take their toll.

I believe Paul Rhoads is the right man for ISU. He's good for the University, and he's good for the young men who play their hearts out for him. It may take some adjustments in staff, but I believe we can get to 7 or 8 wins in a season. Maybe not this year...okay, probably not this year. But perhaps next year, and in the years following. I don't ever want to see us go backward to the likes of what Gene Chizik did to us.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I'll just go ahead and be the first solid no. Big 12 is much tougher with the round robin scheduling instead of north south.

Wilson

Sep 15, 2013
I don't see him surpassing Macs level of success here. After what I've seen this year I'm not sure he can even equal it.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I think he can make them exactly what he has shown. 6-7 wins at best with low seasons like this one. I don't think he has what it takes to make them a contender in the big 12.

I agree. I'm not surprised with our record this year. We have had very little margin for error to have a winning season each of the last two years and have been a very good 6-2 in one possesion games. We were due for a season where our record in close games went the other way. Our recruiting is not really improving compared to other conference teams. You can't expect to have a 9-10 win team when you're consistently bringing in recruiting classes which are ranked 9th or 10th in the conference.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
With the 9 game Big 12 schedule.... Im not sure anyone will ever win at Mac's rate here. If anyone is going to do it, it is CPR.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron