Trail Cam Pictures

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Not on the Trail Cam, but I live pretty close to the old 20th century bowling alley, and when I pulled in last night, I found a fox chasing a rabbit, catch it, and then just start eating it right in front of me.

Probably wouldn't have a fox issue if the neighbors two doors down didn't have a bunch of chickens.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Not on the Trail Cam, but I live pretty close to the old 20th century bowling alley, and when I pulled in last night, I found a fox chasing a rabbit, catch it, and then just start eating it right in front of me.

Probably wouldn't have a fox issue if the neighbors two doors down didn't have a bunch of chickens.

Did the fox say anything?

Reactions: CyDude16

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center

Oh yeah? I saw a cat pounce on a mouse this afternoon on my way home.

CYme

Dec 6, 2011
Pella, IA
Nice pictures Brett. I can try to take some pics of roadkill on my way to work, but that probably won't do much good.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
My mom got a picture of a mountain lion last year around Cherokee.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Nice pictures Brett. I can try to take some pics of roadkill on my way to work, but that probably won't do much good.

Haha ya. I wish the one with 3 cats in it was earlier in the day. Think it is a mom with 2 kittens. First time I have seen bobs on the trail cam.

CYme

Dec 6, 2011
Pella, IA
Oh yeah? I saw a cat pounce on a mouse this afternoon on my way home.
I saw some rednecks trying to pounce on a mouse at a pumpkin patch Saturday morning in Nebraska. I guarantee you it was way more entertaining.

They were Fusker hans too.

CYme

Dec 6, 2011
Pella, IA
Haha ya. I wish the one with 3 cats in it was earlier in the day. Think it is a mom with 2 kittens. First time I have seen bobs on the trail cam.

Boobs would have been equally awesome.

Yeah, hope you get some better pictures of the kittens. Try to post them if you do, that'd be pretty cool. Hopefully they don't get anyone out shooting at them.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
This one came out today as well. Mountain Lion near Winterset.

BIG CAT: DNR Confirms Mountain Lion Sighting | WHOTV.com

I like how it says this...

The Iowa DNR says the mountain lion is a three to four year old male and likely traveled to Iowa from South Dakota.The DNR also says it expects to have fewer mountain lions in Iowa in the future, because hunting limits for the big cat in South Dakota are being raised.
According to the DNR, more than 1,000 mountain lion sightings have been reported since 2000 but most could not be verified. More than 95% of sightings reported are of mistaken identity – such as bobcats or some dogs that share the same coloring.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
Im hoping to get my first bobcat this year. I usually just have coon sets but am going to throw out some legholds specifically set up for bobcats as I have seen a few on my dirtroad. I stopped setting fox sets because I always felt bad after catching one so I think ill quit after my first bobcat.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Without reading anything, how the hell do Mountain Lions get all the way here, and how can the DNR confirm its a male without even seeing it?

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
Without reading anything, how the hell do Mountain Lions get all the way here, and how can the DNR confirm its a male without even seeing it?

Most animals that are not common in Iowa (mt lion, bears, etc) are juvenile males looking for their own territory.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover

You can tell by the way it is.

Mountain lions have been here for years, found tracks around 1998 and horses were attacked in 2000. Im assuming those werent the very first lions around. They come here because we have fantastic habitat and food sources. The DNR didnt release them (im assuming that was a joke) but many people beleive that because theyve been found with tracking chips in them which means nothing, just they were being tracked. Most people assume they come across the river in the winter.

What I find more interesting is the growing numbers of black bear reports especially in sw iowa which makes no sense to me whatsoever.