I agree with Ken Miller, Rhoads needs to be accountable

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
Dont know is listening to KXnO, but he is calling out Paul Rhoads' accountability and how we as Cyclone fans continue to accept all the excuses out of him and the staff. Like I mentioned yesterday, I do believe that the fanbase is shifting to putting this on Rhoads so I do think it is happenening but may not be to to point it needs to be? I do believe, just from on here and in bars/restraunts/tailgates the accountability is turning to Rhoads and it needs to be. You can blame Messingham, you can blame Richardson, you can blame the the headset guy or whoever but they all work under Rhoads. Not all the time I agree with Miller but he makes some good points.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I think people are holding Rhoads accountable, just not all of us have the "fire everyone" mentality.

well put. There is a huge middle ground between blind support and fire everyone. That's where most people are.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
until CPR speaks to this, we'll keep getting more ******. He knows there is frustration and he knows with whom, but to not even address it is pathetic. Even a "I know there is talk about about Coordinators but I am keeping them through this year" would give us something.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
until CPR speaks to this, we'll keep getting more ******. He knows there is frustration and he knows with whom, but to not even address it is pathetic. Even a "I know there is talk about about Coordinators but I am keeping them through this year" would give us something.

What the hell would that even accomplish? (Besides driving Mess to be even more conservative, further demoralizing offensive players, royally screwing things up with any kids Mess is the primary recruiter for, encouraging fans/media to pull more of this crap the next time they decide a coach isn't up to snuff, etc.)

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Is it supporting firing everyone who is blind? Because that is where I am.

you heartless bastard. Blind people need jobs too.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
What the hell would that even accomplish? (Besides driving Mess to be even more conservative, further demoralizing offensive players, royally screwing things up with any kids Mess is the primary recruiter for, encouraging fans/media to pull more of this crap the next time they decide a coach isn't up to snuff, etc.)

You must not work in the field of public relations. When you address something head on and up front people usually ***** and whine but let it go. When you try and avoid the situation and respond with "no comment" they get even more mad and the anger keeps building. I am always of the up-front mentality.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
This a dumb argument. First, from where I sit/read most fans are upset. I will be upset if there aren't major Offensive coaching changes made at the end of the year. But I don't think that they have to be made now and I still think that Rhoads is the right person for the job.

But if you don't....what does Miller want you to do? Storm Jack Trice? Picket the next game? I suspect that Jamie and Paul are getting plenty of emails and phone calls from stupid *** fans already.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
He isn't asking for Rhoads to be fired he is asking for him to be accountable.

I think if you ask Iowa State fans most would say Rhoads is responsible for the situation on offense and it needs to be solved or at least significantly better by next season.

Is that holding him accountable enough or do I need to email Pollard, and CC Ken Miller so he knows about it?

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
I try to be level-headed. I honestly don't think there is a coach who will raise ISU to anything more than an 8-win-on-occasion team. I believe a good goal every year for us is making a bowl game. I thinking winning a bowl game or having an 8 win season is a great accomplishment here.

I have defended Rhoads because I think the program under him is probably about as good as it is going to get. I think recruiting is getting better. I think we are generally beat the teams we are supposed to beat and are competitive with the upper teams in the conference. I think the national perception of ISU is that we are a tough game. If Rhoads can't do it here, I am honestly not sure it can be done.

All that being said, this weekend's ***-kicking have left me with a "meh" attitude on Rhoads. Want to fire him? Meh. Want to keep him? Meh. In our history, we have had MUCH worse teams than the current one and we have played much better teams that Baylor. And we have never, ever been whooped like we were this weekend.

I thought the team owed fans an apology for the bowl debacle against Tulsa (when we supported them in droves). And I think they owe fans one for the loss this weekend. There is no excuse for this team to get beat worse than any team we have ever had. None.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

You don't address stuff like this in the middle of a season!!!!!!!!!!

By Rhoads saying that he supports Mess means he can't let him go if he decides at the end of the year because he would lose all credibility with his other coaches and potential recruits. On the opposite side of that if he came out and said that he is sticking with Mess through the season and then letting him go, that is just giving Mess a reason to not even try (quite on recruiting, something Mess is really good at).

Last edited:

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
you heartless bastard. Blind people need jobs too.

Ehh the Big 12 will just hire them to ref football and basketball games.

rimshot-o.gif

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
He isn't asking for Rhoads to be fired he is asking for him to be accountable.

What does this mean? I think Rhoads has been accountable. He hasn't made excuses. I'll say this, he hasn't thrown his players under the bus and I think that is a good thing. While it may be nice for some fans (and the media) if he did that, one thing Rhoads has going for him is that players like to play for him. In addition, there are 6 games left. In order to give them the best chance to win, I think you have to have your team believing they can win.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Paul Rhoads, I am officially holding you accountable for this dumpster fire of a season.

Happy UNIguy?