Don't forget who we are...

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
Guys, I hate to remind everyone, but this is not a dream destination for coaches or players... Yes, we have an amazing, supportive fan base, and a lot of passion for football, but we aren't in a state that produces a heck of a lot of talent, and what talent we are able to keep in state is mostly shared with Iowa.

CPR should be supported right now. Yes, we're having a bad season, and yes, we're continuing to struggle offensively, despite having found a QB IMO (and last night proved it even more, the stats mean crap).

I wasn't thrilled with the Mess hire, but I accepted it. Mess had proven himself as a very good position coach, and has a lot of experience. Also, and maybe most importantly, he likely actually wants to be at ISU, though those days may be waning with all the negativity surrounding the current state of the offense. ISU isn't going to bring in a known offensive genius... First, they won't take the job, and 2nd even if they did it'll be a short stop for them, leaving us in a bad situation again. ISU's chance at relevance has to be built from the ground floor with guys who want to be at ISU.

That being said, CPR and ISU need to make the offense a priority. We clearly have more talent on the offensive side of the ball than what we've had in a long time, yet we have no OL. I'm sure most of us have noticed that when the OL is doing it's job, our offense also does a pretty good job. When our OL gets manhandled, our offense looks horrendous. That's not just a play calling issue in my book. CPR and Mess need to focus on jr colleges to bring in some OL talent for immediate playing time next year, or it'll be more of the same.

In any case, do I wish CPR hired a stud coordinator? Absolutely... Would I be happy if he went out and got one now? Probably... Would I be happy about losing Mess... Not at all. Any new OC that is great at what he does won't be long for ISU... Too many places are hiring these guys away in a heart beat. I'd rather let Mess work it out, with an established OL first. Injuries have hurt the OL this year (isn't Yancy and the football facility supposed to help prevent these???) but we weren't very good to begin with (UNI pushed us around before we had injuries...).

We need to recruit guys in the trenches. Do whatever it takes (short of cheating). We clearly need established players, not "body types." If we can't do that, then, and only then, should we be calling for the heads of any coaches...

Meanwhile, fans need to do their part... Whiny ISU fans really are worse than hawk fans... Seriously, if Baylor wants to put up 71 on us, and can, then that's our fault for not stopping them. Don't tell me Baylor is classless. They are fighting an uphill battle for a chance at the national title game... They need to do what they did to us as often as possible just to make sure people know who they are, or they'll be left on the side of the road when it comes down to it.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
.... Don't tell me Baylor is classless. They are fighting an uphill battle for a chance at the national title game... They need to do what they did to us as often as possible just to make sure people know who they are, or they'll be left on the side of the road when it comes down to it.

Agree. Baylor is not classless. However, running the score up because of the system being what it is, is not classy. How many style points do you need in today's BCS --50, 57, 64?

Cyclophile1

Dec 14, 2009
Overland Park, KS
I think Mess has shown he doesn't know how to coach QBs. I'm fine with him coaching the TEs for us, or even the WRs. Our QB play has been arguably the worst in BCS under his tenure - flat out horrible. Those that watch games from other conferences know what I'm saying. Compare it to what we see, week in and week out. Our QBs don't go through progressions, don't make the right reads, have sloppy as hell footwork, don't audible at all, can't make a throw to a hot route in the face of a flooded zone, put the ball in a terrible spot for WR screens, bubble and tunnel screens, don't know when to throw the ball away. It's a drumbeat that goes on and on. On top of all that they have zero confidence from whatever coaching they are getting and how their jobs are under threat, and they get thrown under the bus in the press. Our QBs get WORSE as they progress in their careers here - that's almost unheard of but it's happened with every QB Mess deals with.

Sorry for the rant, but it looks to me like he's never coached QBs before. I think he's a terrible QB coach, and I guarantee you that I'm not alone in that opinion.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Agree. Baylor is not classless. However, running the score up because of the system being what it is, is not classy. How many style points do you need in today's BCS --50, 57, 64?

They played starters JUST into the 4th quarter. To think Briles would tell his 2nd and 3rd and 4th string guys to NOT play hard is disrespectful to the players who sweat and bleed like the starters but rarely get a chance in games.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Guys, I hate to remind everyone, but this is not a dream destination for coaches or players... Yes, we have an amazing, supportive fan base, and a lot of passion for football, but we aren't in a state that produces a heck of a lot of talent, and what talent we are able to keep in state is mostly shared with Iowa.

CPR should be supported right now. Yes, we're having a bad season, and yes, we're continuing to struggle offensively, despite having found a QB IMO (and last night proved it even more, the stats mean crap).

I wasn't thrilled with the Mess hire, but I accepted it. Mess had proven himself as a very good position coach, and has a lot of experience. Also, and maybe most importantly, he likely actually wants to be at ISU, though those days may be waning with all the negativity surrounding the current state of the offense. ISU isn't going to bring in a known offensive genius... First, they won't take the job, and 2nd even if they did it'll be a short stop for them, leaving us in a bad situation again. ISU's chance at relevance has to be built from the ground floor with guys who want to be at ISU.

That being said, CPR and ISU need to make the offense a priority. We clearly have more talent on the offensive side of the ball than what we've had in a long time, yet we have no OL. I'm sure most of us have noticed that when the OL is doing it's job, our offense also does a pretty good job. When our OL gets manhandled, our offense looks horrendous. That's not just a play calling issue in my book. CPR and Mess need to focus on jr colleges to bring in some OL talent for immediate playing time next year, or it'll be more of the same.

In any case, do I wish CPR hired a stud coordinator? Absolutely... Would I be happy if he went out and got one now? Probably... Would I be happy about losing Mess... Not at all. Any new OC that is great at what he does won't be long for ISU... Too many places are hiring these guys away in a heart beat. I'd rather let Mess work it out, with an established OL first. Injuries have hurt the OL this year (isn't Yancy and the football facility supposed to help prevent these???) but we weren't very good to begin with (UNI pushed us around before we had injuries...).

We need to recruit guys in the trenches. Do whatever it takes (short of cheating). We clearly need established players, not "body types." If we can't do that, then, and only then, should we be calling for the heads of any coaches...

Meanwhile, fans need to do their part... Whiny ISU fans really are worse than hawk fans... Seriously, if Baylor wants to put up 71 on us, and can, then that's our fault for not stopping them. Don't tell me Baylor is classless. They are fighting an uphill battle for a chance at the national title game... They need to do what they did to us as often as possible just to make sure people know who they are, or they'll be left on the side of the road when it comes down to it.
Rhoads has my support, but come on man. I would love to have an offensive coordinator who knew his right from his left even if just for 2 seasons. This offense has been the same lame show for the past 4 seasons going back to Herman. The offensive minds are out there! Why can't Iowa State find them? I'll take your destination excuse and raise you a Ball State University from Muncie, IN. Similar town in comparison to Ames, MUCH smaller school on a MUCH smaller scale, yet averaging nearly 40 ppg and top 15 passing attack. Destination be damned, if Ball State can do it, Iowa State has no excuse.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Beyond 50 does not get you much by the computers.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Rhoads has my support, but come on man. I would love to have an offensive coordinator who knew his right from his left even if just for 2 seasons. This offense has been the same lame show for the past 4 seasons going back to Herman. The offensive minds are out there! Why can't Iowa State find them? I'll take your destination excuse and raise you a Ball State University from Muncie, IN. Similar town in comparison to Ames, MUCH smaller school on a MUCH smaller scale, yet averaging nearly 40 ppg and top 15 passing attack. Destination be damned, if Ball State can do it, Iowa State has no excuse.

Obviously CPR comfort zone is to be conservative so we have a conservative offense when we need a wham bam thank you **** offense.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Obviously CPR comfort zone is to be conservative so we have a conservative offense when we need a wham bam thank you **** offense.

Yep, we are playing head-up football, and expecting inferior talent to somehow achieve victory. Insanity?

Spam

May 21, 2008
Don't forget who we are? I am sorry. But what I saw yesterday is not who we are

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
We are a team that gave up and had no "life" in the Liberty Bowl when 30,000 or whatever Cyclone Fans sacrificed and grandmas cashed in 401k's to go spend money in that blighted town. Last night was no surprise because it is the same cast of characters.
I am going to watch the CPR show tonight......I expect it to be as painful as Chizik's show after his second season Colorado loss. That was like watching some prison rape video.
CPR is the man. he needs to clean house and just get a new cast and we give him another 4 years. Kind of like Mac.

Wilson

Sep 15, 2013
This is one of the most pathetic posts I have ever seen. This isn't an unrealistic expectations thing People aren't expecting national titles. We are expecting to put forth a product that beats UNI and doesn't lose by nine ******* touch downs to anyone ever. That's not too much to ask.CPR should be on the hot sets, and so should Pollard after giving him a lifetime contract despite no real evidence of success.

RebelT

Oct 9, 2008

Our starters scored 44.

Our final four touchdowns went:

punt return for a TD
backup QB run for a 40-yard TD
4th-string RB run for a 21-yard TD
Freshman WR kickoff return for a 97-yard TD

I suppose we should just fair catch every kick and take knees every down?

Sheesh. Say what you will about us or our team, but to say we're classless is just pitiful. Briles pulled off the accelerator much earlier than he could have.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Our starters scored 44.

punt return for a TD

Sheesh. Say what you will about us or our team, but to say we're classless is just pitiful. Briles pulled off the accelerator much earlier than he could have.
Laughable. Say what you will about starters being pulled, but one doesn't simply take the foot off the accelerator and still put up 71 points.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA

Whew...thanks for reminding me of what we cannot be.

*cancels football tickets and funnels everything to basketball*

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Our starters scored 44.

punt return for a TD

Baylor should NEVER apologize for running up the score on anyone. They have been on the other end of it many times. Iowa State, if it ever gets in position to do so should do it too and not apologize for it.

Spam

May 21, 2008
Heck, FB is all about giving your best every single minute. Just because Iowa State stopped trying after we were down 40, doesn't mean Baylor should stop trying when they're up 40.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Baylor should NEVER apologize for running up the score on anyone. They have been on the other end of it many times. Iowa State, if it ever gets in position to do so should do it too and not apologize for it.

Agree, and if anyone thinks Baylor was classless about "Running it up" is a whinny biatch. This isn't pee wee football for participation medals its Big 12 football. If ISU didn't like it they should have played better defense.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron