OC's available at the end of the season...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
For whatever team may need them, I suspect these three might be available at the end of the year

1 Norm Chow-proven OC, home run hire. Won't survive at Hawaii as HC
2.Dana Holgerson-proven OC but days may be numbered as HC at WVA. Another home run hire as OC
3. Todd Monken-former Okie State OC, may not survive as HC this year
Other strong candidates:
Ed Warinner-former OC under Mangino when KU made it run, now at Ohio State
Mark Mangino-former KU head coach.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
As of today, ISU is 101st in total offense out of 123 total teams. We can hardly get worse.

I say we look at the OC's of the following schools.....

Wyoming (13th in total offense)
Troy (23rd in total offense)
Arkansas State (25th in total offense)
Houston (26th in total offense)
Western Kentucky (28th in total offense)
Ball State (30th in total offense)

Does anyone know what kind of offense Wyoming runs? Is it no huddle, spread? They have some pretty good numbers offensively.

I also went on the assumption here that no other BCS school's OC would probably want to come to ISU since it would likely be a step backwards.

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010

I have to imagine that has more to do with Bobby Petrino than they OC. Unless of course he is the one calling the plays.

stevefrench

Aug 7, 2011
For whatever team may need them, I suspect these three might be available at the end of the year

1 Norm Chow-proven OC, home run hire. Won't survive at Hawaii as HC
2.Dana Holgerson-proven OC but days may be numbered as HC at WVA. Another home run hire as OC
3. Todd Monken-former Okie State OC, may not survive as HC this year
Other strong candidates:
Ed Warinner-former OC under Mangino when KU made it run, now at Ohio State
Mark Mangino-former KU head coach.

Mangino would be an excellent hire and it's realistic. Norm and Dana can do way better than ISU

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Our offensive plays reeked. If we could have a real oline, we might have doubled or tripled the output last night. Say go from 174 yards up to 340 yards in the game.

George had 18 tackles, Washington 12 and SE Richardson 11.

Baylor had nine tackles for losses.

Kirby has punted for almost 1000 yards in the last two games.

And then from cyclones.com:
Turning Point of the Game
After forcing Baylor to punt after their first drive, which was just their 13th punt of the season, Jarvis West returned the punt 38 yards into Baylor territory. The Cyclones went three-and-out and Baylor got the ball back. The Bears took advantage. On the fifth play of the drive, Petty threw a lateral pass to Levi Norwood, who then tossed it downfield to Jay Lee for 41 yards. The Bears would get into the end zone a couple plays later. The Cyclones struggled to get much else going and went down 37-0 at the half.

That was about the eleven minute mark in the first quarter that the game turned.

Last edited:

Newell

Aug 6, 2013
As of today, ISU is 101st in total offense out of 123 total teams. We can hardly get worse.

I say we look at the OC's of the following schools.....

Does anyone know what kind of offense Wyoming runs? Is it no huddle, spread? They have some pretty good numbers offensively.

I also went on the assumption here that no other BCS school's OC would probably want to come to ISU since it would likely be a step backwards.

Wyoming has former Missouri offensive coordinator Dave Christiensen as their head coach. Before you hire an offensive coordinator you should make sure he is actually they guy running the offense.

ISU should have offered Herman enough to keep him. BIG mistake letting him leave.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Newell;3647523.....ISU should have offered Herman enough to keep him. BIG mistake letting him leave.[/QUOTE said:
I don't know the numbers, but I'm guessing Herman is now probably making twice what he made at ISU?

crash_zone

Apr 10, 2006
Sioux Falls, SD
I doubt Herman is making the calls at tOSU. Besides, with those players, anyones system can look good. We need someone that can make OUR players look good in their system....Herman really didn't accomplish that while he was here either.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Cute. The entire team looked horrible yesterday (aside from various special teams bright spots), and you guys are back to playing "Scapegoat Messingham"? Seriously?

OPButtrey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2010
I would take Mangino in a second. You just don't know how a new OC will do in a situation like the one ISU is in (low budget , no tradition, bad geographics) unless he's been successful before in a similar situation like Mangino has. We need a guy with applicable prior experience. Not someone who's had brief success in a different environment.

Reactions: nickcyv

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Mangino would be a good hire, reminds me of Fred hiring Doc Sadler, a proven coach.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
I doubt Herman is making the calls at tOSU. Besides, with those players, anyones system can look good. We need someone that can make OUR players look good in their system....Herman really didn't accomplish that while he was here either.

For the last time. Herman is calling the plays, and Urban has veto power. How often he uses the veto power I'm not sure. And by the fact that Urban hired Herman it's safe to say Urban thinks he's a good offensive mind.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Still think Dave Schramm, current OC and QB's coach at Fresno State. I really wish Rhoads would let Sturdy call plays the rest of the year though, as a tryout for next season.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Cute. The entire team looked horrible yesterday (aside from various special teams bright spots), and you guys are back to playing "Scapegoat Messingham"? Seriously?

The offense was especially terrible last night. It's been terrible all year. It was terrible last year. Yes they players play. But ultimate responsibility lies with the leader.

If you worked at Burger King, and you were in charge of the grill, but someone else flipped the burgers, and the burgers were burned every night for 2 years.... you'd be fired.

And if you were the store manager, and you didn't fire the guy in charge of the grill after two years of burned burgers, then you'd be fired.

This is as simple as I can make it for everyone.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
If we get a new OC do new players come with him. Because that is what it's going to take to get this offense turned around.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

Watching the game Saturday, Urban never said anything on his head phones when the plays went in. He just listened. He did supposedly tell Herman at half to do more wide side plays which Herman did. Herman is calling the plays with a potential overrule by Urban.

nj829

Mar 18, 2006
Northwest Arkansas
Wally has had 4 years of decent defense, and a lifetime resume of success. Messingham has 18 games of failing and an inability to adjust to anything. I think CPR thought Herman was an issue because of the lack of productivity the offense had, but after 4.5 years of constant clusters it looks like a system issue.

D UP Clones

Oct 25, 2006
Watching the game Saturday, Urban never said anything on his head phones when the plays went in. He just listened. He did supposedly tell Herman at half to do more wide side plays which Herman did. Herman is calling the plays with a potential overrule by Urban.

So Herman has top talent and was struggling to beat Iowa? You guys make me laugh with this stuff. Herman had some good games at ISU, but not many of them. He wasn't a great OC either and at OSU has not been impressive. Their offense was terrible last year.

BigCojones

Aug 24, 2009
Ankeny
I still say get the Tulsa OC. Can you imagine their offense with a good QB?! You can tell the guy can prepare a game plan. Sees things on the field as they are happening and knows how to exploit it. I thought his offense was very tough to predict every time I have watched them. We could easily get that guy and he would be a great addition IMO. That guy is a true blue OC.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Our offensive plays reeked. If we could have a real oline, we might have doubled or tripled the output last night. Say go from 174 yards up to 340 yards in the game.

George had 18 tackles, Washington 12 and SE Richardson 11.

Baylor had nine tackles for losses.

Kirby has punted for almost 1000 yards in the last two games.

And then from cyclones.com:

That was about the eleven minute mark in the first quarter that the game turned.

Hard to argue with that.