Interesting Corey McIntosh Article

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
This is a pretty telling comment when people complain about the lack of movement in our offense... Kinda makes you wonder where the 'complexity' is...

"It wasn't a guard-penetrate offense, and that's what I do," says McIntosh, who averaged 4.4 points and 2.5 assists. "I'd bring it down the court, pass, go screen, go stand in the corner"

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Cory penetrating in the Big 12 did not suck in the defense to clear passing lanes. He was to small and weak to be effective in that manner.

He would have helped this year but can't get to the rim without consequences.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Nice story. I think McD will allow you to do things in his system if you are able to. It took him a long time to get a hang of the system so he wasnt allowed to do those things he likes to do. I'm not sure if he was big enough to drive in the Big 12.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Nice story. I think McD will allow you to do things in his system if you are able to. It took him a long time to get a hang of the system so he wasnt allowed to do those things he likes to do. I'm not sure if he was big enough to drive in the Big 12.

I would agree with that. I think if you see a hole and drive in to score, avoiding the set play, McD would be ok with that. If you do something stupid and avoid the set play you will get benched.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
If Drew Lavender was able to get to the hoop then I'm pretty sure Cory could have... What really disappoints me is the part about standing in the corner... How is that an effective use of anyones talent?

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
If Drew Lavender was able to get to the hoop then I'm pretty sure Cory could have... What really disappoints me is the part about standing in the corner... How is that an effective use of anyones talent?

Instead of standing in the corner so-to-speak, how about crashing the boards or making use of screens. I almost wonder if it was miscommunication or pouting.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Instead of standing in the corner so-to-speak, how about crashing the boards or making use of screens. I almost wonder if it was miscommunication or pouting.

I don't think so, it seems to be what we do these days too... Everyone just stand around and hope someone decides to shoot... You don't want the point guard crashing the offensive boards anyway, they need to get back on D.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
He's exaggerating. It's a structured offense, but movement is very important to its success. Suffice to say, "standing in the corner" is not a part of maintaining good movement. Although I do think McDermott probably treated him more like Peterson (don't make mistakes, stay back, etc) than he does a guard like Taylor or Garrett (who he will let drive at will).

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
He's exaggerating. It's a structured offense, but movement is very important to its success. Suffice to say, "standing in the corner" is not a part of maintaining good movement. Although I do think McDermott probably treated him more like Peterson (don't make mistakes, stay back, etc) than he does a guard like Taylor or Garrett (who he will let drive at will).

I think McD maybe knows what players are able to do and not able to do in games. That is why some play different rolls and are allowed to do different things than other.

northernclone

Apr 11, 2006
Minnesota
If he had the necessary talent to do other things... it would have been worked into the offense. Sounds like he is a good kid, but from my observations... he made the right decision to step out of the Big 12.

That is not to say he's not talented... probably just not to run with the Big 12 caliber of player.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Watch next game, when it's not a break, the guard passes to the wing, if he can, screens opposite then stands in the corner... This might work if we had big guys who knew how to kick it out, but I can't remember the last big man we had that did this, maybe Meyer?

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
I had a couple classes with Corey and still talk to him on occassion. The kid is a classy guy, one of the nicest athletes I have ever spoken with at ISU. Glad to hear he continues to do well at Augustana.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
The most telling comment to me was when he said this is not a guard penetrating offense. I think what we see on the court probably confirms this, but is it because of the guards we have or is it just the McD "system". If it is the "system" I'm afraid we will have a hard time in the Big 12.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
The most telling comment to me was when he said this is not a guard penetrating offense. I think what we see on the court probably confirms this, but is it because of the guards we have or is it just the McD "system". If it is the "system" I'm afraid we will have a hard time in the Big 12.

I think it's probably the offense because of the personnel we have. Would DG have even been recruited if this were the case? Penetrating is his great strength. I think it will be a part of the offense when he matures. It's great to have a guy that can do that at the end of halves when we need a bucket or foul, or when the shot clock is running down.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
The bottom line is we need better players. Our lack of success is due to a lack of talent, not a lack of coaching. At least for now, that is how I see it. I reserve the right to change my mind about the coaching part.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
The bottom line is we need better players. Our lack of success is due to a lack of talent, not a lack of coaching. At least for now, that is how I see it. I reserve the right to change my mind about the coaching part.

Bringing in talent is 60% of the college coaching game...