Boulevard Brewing sold to Belgian brewer Duvel Moortgat

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
Boulevard Brewing, a popular Kansas City company that’s grown to be one of America’s largest craft brewers since its founding in 1989, is being sold to a Belgian brewer, Duvel Moortgat.
John McDonald, who started the iconic brewery in a warehouse at 25th Street and Southwest Boulevard with used equipment, said that at age 60 it was time to find a buyer.

Really disappointed this is no longer a KC owned business but could have been worse. Had seen rumors that SABmiller was involved with the purchase.
At lease Duvel is a private family owned business that seems focused on high quality beers so maybe there won't be much of a change.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Really disappointed this is no longer a KC owned business but could have been worse. Had seen rumors that SABmiller was involved with the purchase.
At lease Duvel is a private family owned business that seems focused on high quality beers so maybe there won't be much of a change.

Doesn't surprise me that Boulevard sold out, it was getting too big not to be gobbled up. But I also am glad that they didn't go the Leine's route and sell to one of the big two.

Now if Schell's ever sells out that will be a very sad day for me. Fortunately it appears that the next generation at Schell's is very involved in every step and appears to have no intention of selling.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
just don't change the recipe, and we'll be good.

StormnClone58

Jan 24, 2008
West Des Moines
Was just in KC and have been on boulevard's tours ... The people of KC take great pride in boulevard and support it alot ... Also the people that i was able to meet and chat with during my tour were head over heels about their 'brand' and the 'hometown brew' stigma that Boulevard has helped create ... As others have said, atleast they didnt sell out to one of the big 3 ...

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
The bad thing about this is that it probably put Duvel on the top of the list for ABInbev of brands that need to be purchased. Now they could snag two well known names in one buyout. Hopefully Duvel sticks to their roots, but it would be tough if one of the BMC companies came in and started throwing piles of money at me.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Duvel also bought Brewery Ommegang several years ago and from what I've heard, the product has remained the same. If you're going to sell, a family-owned, craft brewer is the best situation. Thankfully they didn't go the way of Goose Island.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
lots of intrigue in the industry. the suppliers are all pretty sure that wheat and pale will go the way of fat tire and get overproduced and make it sh*tty but it will be in every beer door in america. The people in KC are being told that it is going to actually add jobs and they are doing a 20m growth project to the actual brewery.

John McDonalds oldest kid is only 23 and can't take that over yet, and he wanted to retire, getting 100m+ for that company is a good way to do it, its more than the rumored amount that New Belgium almost sold for.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
People tend to hate companies when they get big but I can still say that Fat Tire is a great beer and I've never noticed a change in taste.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I haven't noticed a change in Fat Tire, either. Not to mention NB makes some other beers that are damn good.