When do YOU turn on your heat?

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
My roommates and I are arguing when we should turn on the heat. We're pretty split: Thanksgiving Break or once it gets below freezing for the low at night. I'm on the Thanksgiving Break end.

Looking ahead to long term forecasts it looks as though the only bad day(s) will be Halloween weekend.

When do you guys turn on your heat?

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Different situation completely...in college I would have sided with the OP. Have children at home now (one a 3 month old) so we turned the heat on last night...when the wife says we need to do it for the kids...how can I argue?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Whenever I feel chilly. I'm not going to be uncomfortable in my own house.

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
My roommates and I are arguing when we should turn on the heat. We're pretty split: Thanksgiving Break or once it gets below freezing for the low at night. I'm on the Thanksgiving Break end.

Looking ahead to long term forecasts it looks as though the only bad day(s) will be Halloween weekend.

Closer to bar close when the prospects are dwindling

Reactions: Judoka

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
When the lows start getting into the 30's. Probably going to be turning it off and on for a few weeks.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
when the house gets cold. Sometimes that's early in the fall, sometimes later. However, with young children, we have a little less flexibility than college students.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
For weeks like this we don't keep it on all the time. Turn it off at night, obviously when we're not home, but we'll kick it on in the morning and at night to take the chill out of the air.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Different situation completely...in college I would have sided with the OP. Have children at home now (one a 3 month old) so we turned the heat on last night...when the wife says we need to do it for the kids...how can I argue?

Left to my own devices I'd hold out and keep the thermostat on the low-side even when I did turn it on. But now with an easily cold wife and 18-month old child, I'm pretty much in the same boat as you.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

If it is getting below freezing at night you really should have your heat turned on so you don't have burst pipes. You don't have to have it turned on very high, just set it to like 60 degrees so you don't have to worry about your pipes freezing.

To answer your question though, if it were up to me I'd never have the heat above the "don't let the pipes freeze" amount. But since I'm pretty sure my girlfriend doesn't have a circulatory system the heat comes on once it is regularly getting below the upper 60s in the house. It's a tradeoff though. She puts up with me cranking the AC in the summer.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
The wife turned it on last night. We've have been able to maintain up until now, but I will admit the house was getting a bit too cold overnight and we finally had to break down and turn it on.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Think the house got down to 60 last night, so we turned it on to 65°.

The temp outside doesn't affect this decision for me, only the inside. I only had to turn my heat on twice in a year the last apartment I lived in.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
We mainly change based on comfort, but our lease also requires us to keep it at least 60.
Good point, I'd check your lease, I know ours typically had something in it that talked about not having the furnace off or set too low in the winter. Even though it's not technically winter yet if it's getting below freezing at night you could run into problems.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
When I lose feeling in my extremities?

When the kids are over, I will turn it on for them though. My 6 year old has no fat on his body so he gets cold fast.

When I'm home alone I am a big fan of my ISU hoodies and comfy blankets. I actually like sleeping in a slight chill. Makes the blankets seem that much warmer.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
I turn it on when I get cold. What, are you dumb****s using it in the summertime or something?

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Good point, I'd check your lease, I know ours typically had something in it that talked about not having the furnace off or set too low in the winter. Even though it's not technically winter yet if it's getting below freezing at night you could run into problems.

The thermostat in my apartment is so crappy I can't tell what the actual temperature is in there. I just have to guess.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Turned it on two nights ago, when I walked in after work and noticed that it was in fact cold in the house (61F). Set the stat at 67. Nights I take it down to 62, and we usually have our bedroom door closed and a window open.