Have your health benefits/premiums changed with ACA?

Have your health premiums or benefits changed with the ACA?

• My premiums have/will increase.

Votes: 59 48.4%
  • My premiums have/will not change.

Votes: 45 36.9%
  • My premiums have/will decrease.

Votes: 10 8.2%
  • I am/will receive benefits that were previously unavailable.

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • I am/will no longer receive any benefits that were previously available.

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
We're having a big meeting Thursday to hear about all the supposedly big changes to our benefits, so I should know soon. We are also still in the process of merging with another firm, however, so I have a feeling a lot of these changes would be happening even without ACA. I opt out of a lot of our benefits because we're on my wife's insurance, so honestly as long as they don't touch my lump sum payment for opting out it's no skin off my back.

NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
Clive, IA
Premiums have increased and now being required to have biometrics measured - blood test for nicotine, blood sugar, blood pressure and BMI. Must hit goals to earn incentives for health savings account.

BMI needs to be at 30 or lower, Blood Sugar at or less 100, BP 140/90 or better. No nicotine in your system - this one determines how much your premium is

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
My wife is a teacher and their single plan isn't changing. I'm on my work's single plan and pay $75/month. So far they said it's not changing but with the state property tax law changing we will lose some money so they said expect larger increases in the next few years.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
My wife is a teacher with DSM Public, which provides free coverage. I think this next year she has to do some optional health activities, tests, etc otherwise it costs like $200 for the year.

rudiskilz

Apr 28, 2010
West Des Moines
yupp i am a teacher. this is right. so we have to pay 200 bucks a year for insurance. I get 50 bucks off for creating an account on welmarks website, i get 50 bucks off for getting a physical, then i need to sign up for 2 other things activity related to get the other money off.

to me it is no big deal at all to do this. just jumping through the hoops. and like said above, wife is still on and no extra payments

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Your poll is poorly designed... The amount of the premium and the level of coverage are different items. I didn't know if I should choose from one of the first three responses, or one of the bottom two.

Last edited:

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
One thing that people need to consider is the amounts of increases in past years...so some people's rates that increase this next year still might not be as much of an increase as they would have experienced without the ACA going into effect.

My health insurance rates have gone up over the past 5+ years at rates extremely larger than any other living costs have increased over the same amount of time.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Premiums have increased and now being required to have biometrics measured - blood test for nicotine, blood sugar, blood pressure and BMI. Must hit goals to earn incentives for health savings account.

BMI needs to be at 30 or lower, Blood Sugar at or less 100, BP 140/90 or better. No nicotine in your system - this one determines how much your premium is

Is this a direct result of the ACA or is this just what's happening when everything gets renewed this year?

I ask, because my wife's plan has had similar requirements in place for a couple of years now. And according to a friend of mine who's an insurance broker for large companies, it was a trend that was going to probably happen with or without the ACA for companies to take less of the burden and put more on the employees to save some money.

I think the cheapest increase I ever saw one year was 10% to the premium and that was back in 2005. Double is rough though.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
100% increase on my HSA

We have received a discount if we get health exams for the last 7 years. It's now moving towards big brother where they will grab your blood and see how bad you've been. I find it amusing that they look for nicotine but not pot. They are the ones who pay for a large portion so I can't complain. I assume the government will have similar tests for those who are subsidized?

Last edited:

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
One thing that people need to consider is the amounts of increases in past years...so some people's rates that increase this next year still might not be as much of an increase as they would have experienced without the ACA going into effect.

My health insurance rates have gone up over the past 5+ years at rates extremely larger than any other living costs have increased over the same amount of time.

A five year span, eh? Seems like we should all be blaming Obama for those cost increases as well!

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Mine isn't changing. My single plan is actually covered by my employer, but eventually when we have kids, my wife and eventual kid will slide over to it. I have no idea what that will cost and if it's more than it is now. I haven't heard anyone else around here ********, and that includes plenty of Republicans who breathe fire at the mention of Obama.

NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
Clive, IA
yupp i am a teacher. this is right. so we have to pay 200 bucks a year for insurance. I get 50 bucks off for creating an account on welmarks website, i get 50 bucks off for getting a physical, then i need to sign up for 2 other things activity related to get the other money off.

to me it is no big deal at all to do this. just jumping through the hoops. and like said above, wife is still on and no extra payments

I will pay $231 per month on medical, $45 per month on dental and $30 per month on vision. $1,400 deductable, out of pocket limit of $4,000

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM
I'm not sure how you can relate increases specifically to this law: my premiums had probably gone up 100%* over the past 4 years

*- I'm using a percentage since that's what all of the other single coverage HSA people on here are doing, and saying 100% is a lot more impressive than saying +$20 a month

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Mine isn't changing. My single plan is actually covered by my employer, but eventually when we have kids, my wife and eventual kid will slide over to it. I have no idea what that will cost and if it's more than it is now. I haven't heard anyone else around here ********, and that includes plenty of Republicans who breathe fire at the mention of Obama.

From my experience, going onto the family plan is where insurance really starts to cost you money. Hopefully the cost difference between two singles and one family won't be as extreme for you.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron