Last minute career fair advice.

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

isu22andy

Sep 17, 2012
Senior here a bit nervous about the ag career fair tomorrow. Does anyone have any last minute advice on what to say to recruiters? Any hidden tips or tricks I do not know about? Resume tricks? This is my forth year attending and was never a fan of the career fair as I often don't know what to say while most recruiters just say "apply online." Lets hear some words of wisdom, helpful or funny .

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Going up to a recruiter "Hi, I am isu22andy. I am a senior in Ag Systems Technology and I am looking for a full-time position", and reach out your hand for a handshake. They will usually say "Hi, I'm John from Monsanto" and reciprocate your handshake. Then you say "Here is my resume, as you can tell, I have a pretty wide range of leadership experience through clubs at school as well as work experience with my 3 years at the horse stables here on campus"

Then shut the **** up and let them ask you questions.

If they tell you to apply online, then ask how long it should take to hear a response.

General Tips:
Know what the company does.
Know what kind of jobs they offer at the company.
Know what you wanna do in your career

Resume Tips:
One page
Clean
Work experience first (most relevant work experience at the top)
Don't put your high school under education
Don't put High School activities unless they are SUPER SUPER relevant.

There is a lot to go over but this is some basic stuff.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Sleep pants are a must
Don't Shave
And if you go out drinking the night before, ditch the mouth wash. Power players like whiskey drinkers.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Going up to a recruiter "Hi, I am isu22andy. I am a senior in Ag Systems Technology and I am looking for a full-time position", and reach out your hand for a handshake. They will usually say "Hi, I'm John from Monsanto" and reciprocate your handshake. Then you say "Here is my resume, as you can tell, I have a pretty wide range of leadership experience through clubs at school as well as work experience with my 3 years at the horse stables here on campus"

If they tell you to apply online, then ask how long it should take to hear a response.

General Tips:

Resume Tips:
One page
Clean

It'd probably be weird if he introduced himself as his CF username.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Try to ask about something that you find interesting as it relates to the employer. If you are unfamiliar with them, use a smart phone to look up something quick that you can base a conversation around - research, marketing, practical applications of their product, long-term career possibilities, etc. Unless the recruiter is a total dud, they'll be able to engage you. The more you are interested in a specific area, the more you will be able to keep the conversation going between you. You'll get some good info and they can see that you're really interested in them (assuming you are). Just my two cents.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Sleep pants are a must
Don't Shave
And if you go out drinking the night before, ditch the mouth wash. Power players like whiskey drinkers.
This is how to get a job, not how to get a girlfriend.

i can give hints about interviews but 2015 summarized it pretty good

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
"Hi John from Monsanto per your nametag. Really like your splendid company. I think my resume will surprise you and interest you at the same time. Besides being a stud ag engr, I am an avid CF poster, love Cyclone football when on my combine listening to JWalt, watching Breaking Bad has taught me great ethics, and I am an ace at Battlefield 4. Hope to hear from you soon. YOLO."

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Good advice from 2015. I would add that you need to have someone with good grammar / spelling ability proofread your resume for any mistakes -- such as using forth instead of fourth. :wink: I know if I find a grammatical or spelling error on a resume, it goes in the circular file.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Senior here a bit nervous about the ag career fair tomorrow. Does anyone have any last minute advice on what to say to recruiters? Any hidden tips or tricks I do not know about? Resume tricks? This is my forth year attending and was never a fan of the career fair as I often don't know what to say while most recruiters just say "apply online." Lets hear some words of wisdom, helpful or funny .

Have somebody proof read resumes and cover letters to make sure there are no spelling errors. Firm handshake

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
"Hi John from Monsanto per your nametag. Really like your splendid company. I think my resume will surprise you and interest you at the same time. Besides being a stud ag engr, I am an avid CF poster, love Cyclone football when on my combine listening to JWalt, watching Breaking Bad has taught me great ethics, and I am an ace at Battlefield 4. Hope to hear from you soon. YOLO."

Youre hired wesleybot

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
I've attended career fairs as both a student and recruiter. As a recruiter, there are a fair number of students that approach my booth and immediately hand me a résumé and start their practiced speech about how awesome they are, before finally saying, "I'm interested in xyz position, are you offering anything like that?" I immediately become disinterested because they clearly haven't bothered to do any research on my company or the positions I'm hiring for.

I'm much more interested in the students that know what I'm there for and have prepared for that. I don't need to hear about all the awesome clubs you've been in. I'm looking for experience and interests that align closely with what I'm hiring for.

Also, my company requires all applicants -- the good and the bad -- to apply online before I can interview them. I think this is pretty typical of what a lot of bigger companies are doing.

May 8, 2010
From a recruiter perspective, I'd say the key is to be able introduce yourself (name, major, year), what position with that company you're interested in applying for and telling them you think based on your skills/experience you'd be a good fit. Try matching up skills/experience on your resume that fit with items they're looking for from the job posting so you can walk them through important points. You can ask them if they have more information they could give you about the position, etc. That at least shows you did your research on their company and what they're hiring for. It always amazes me how many kids show up with no clue what our company does or what we're hiring for!

A good intro, resume, and a couple good questions to ask is really all you need!

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Use good deodorant and a have a white smile. Wear a ring so they think you are married and have settled down. Carry around a Perrier water to drink to show you are cultured.

Heilsqauvador

Aug 21, 2011
Hampton, IA
Take as much free pop and water as possible. Chug it right away and then research employers for an hour to build up confidence. It is also best to eat bean burritos for breakfast.

resident

Nov 13, 2006
seattle
Don't waste all your time waiting in line for the biggest companies that you've heard of. Talk to the little guys that may not have anybody in line at their booth too. It's a numbers game if you aren't the brightest person in your class. Play it intelligently.

Don't be too eager, don't be too shy, don't be arrogant. Be honest and be polite. Being a cool dude that will be a pleasure to work with goes a long ways (in my eyes at least).

mikedp

Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA

General Tips:

Resume Tips:
One page
Clean

I'll be recruiting there Tuesday and this guy has some great tips, few others: Firm Handshake, look the person in the eye, act like you want to talk to the person.

If you didn't have at least 1 (2 is better) internship be ready to discuss why. Target 5-6 Companies that have jobs you're wanting and crash coarse tonight learning about the company the jobs available. Apply for those jobs "online" and go up and introduce yourself to the Company Recruiter introducing self and letting them know you applied, be ready as they might ask you why you applied, what intrigued you to apply. Are you willing to relocate? If not you're limiting your ability to brand your skills.

Email me your resume privately, will review for you, Good Luck