My beagle

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Just took my 12 year old beagle to the vet today, and she is very anemic. After blood tests, it sounds like she needs to have her spleen removed due to the probability that there is a tumor and blood collecting there (liver and kidneys are fine), but the survivability of that are not good at all (high mortality rate during surgery, 2-6 months expected life span on average after).

Anyway, very rough day.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Sorry to hear that, Pride. We lost our beagle mix a couple of weeks ago when she decided breaking out of the backyard and running down Grand ave. was a good idea.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
I appreciate the kind words. We put her on a steroid that the vet said may perk her up a little bit, but not much has changed. She is extremely lethargic and breathes hard most of the time, though she doesn't appear to be in pain. She gets up to go outside (slowly) and then flops back down and doesn't move until we take her out again.

Trying to decide the appropriate time to take her back to the vet for her last trip. I certainly do not want to let her get to the point where she basically suffocates.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I appreciate the kind words. We put her on a steroid that the vet said may perk her up a little bit, but not much has changed. She is extremely lethargic and breathes hard most of the time, though she doesn't appear to be in pain. She gets up to go outside (slowly) and then flops back down and doesn't move until we take her out again.

Trying to decide the appropriate time to take her back to the vet for her last trip. I certainly do not want to let her get to the point where she basically suffocates.

I had to put my Dalmatian down several years ago. It was the worst day of my life, and harder even than the day my father passed. She was a gorgeous dog, and every single person in the vet's office had tears running down their face that day, including the vet and vet nurse. The poor things kidneys shut down at 13 years old, and she was in obvious pain. It was the right thing to do, but still so damned hard. I know the struggle you're going through. You'll know when it's time. But it's never easy. Good luck.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009

Is she eating?

Jonecy

Dec 5, 2006
3.5 Hours From Trice
Sorry to hear about this too. We just had to say goodbye to our 6.5 year old labradoodle (still my avatar) last Friday. He had liver/kidney problems since birth that we'd been managing successfully for years, but his liver just couldn't do it's job anymore and he went down hill pretty quickly in the last week of his life. My wife just happened to be gone for work as well, so I tried to keep him going as best as I could until she could get back to say goodbye. My wife just barely made it back to say goodbye, but in all honesty, we should have let him go at least a day earlier b/c he ended up having some seizures during his final hours.

I really hope your dog pulls through, but if you know it's time, it's important to try and think about the dog and not yourself or your family. I'm happy my wife got to see our dog before we let him go, but I also feel a little guilty about not making the call sooner so he didn't have to be in pain any longer. You can also be thankful for the 12 years you had with her. As we were preparing for the worst last week, I remember reading a story about a woman who had kept putting off the decision of euthanasia b/c she didn't want to let go. Unfortunately, it didn't end well for the dog or her as the dog ended up suffering pretty badly and she always felt guilty about it. The thing she kept saying was that "it's better to be a day early than a day late"......and now that I've gone through it myself, I agree 100%.

Sorry again and best wishes.

Last edited:

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
With a lot of encouragement, but way less than before and with no enthusiasm (she used to bounce like a kangaroo and make an *** of herself at supper time). That was the first sign that she wasn't well.

I had to put my 15 year old greyhound/pit bull mix down in January. She had been ailing for a while, and eventually stopped eating. After a week of her going from eating a few bites to having no interest in food whatsoever, I knew it was time. It sucked, but my vet said something really important when I took her in for the last time: Your dog will keep living for your sake. You don't want to come home some day and see her dead on the floor. If he/she is suffering, you're doing what is best for her. It sucks. I couldn't stay in the room when they did it. Hope this helps a little.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
I had to put my 15 year old greyhound/pit bull mix down in January. She had been ailing for a while, and eventually stopped eating. After a week of her going from eating a few bites to having no interest in food whatsoever, I knew it was time. It sucked, but my vet said something really important when I took her in for the last time: Your dog will keep living for your sake. You don't want to come home some day and see her dead on the floor. If he/she is suffering, you're doing what is best for her. It sucks. I couldn't stay in the room when they did it. Hope this helps a little.

Talking certainly does help, thank you

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
I hate hearing about this stuff. It's never easy.

Still perfectly remember the family meeting we had when my parents decided it was time to put down our beagle mix. You always know that this is another part of having a pet, but that doesn't help at all. Just think of all the good times you had together...that's all you can do.

You're in my thoughts...

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Sorry to hear man, beagles are fantastic dogs for sure and had a wonderful life with you. Love our beagle and dread this day.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
Phoebe passed away peacefully this morning. While taking her to the vet was incredibly hard, her condition had worsened, and I felt a sense of peace knowing that her pain had been lifted and that I could be there to hold her in her last moments.

Just a wonderful dog.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
As someone who has had to do this within last year i feel for you. It's one of the life's hardest decisions. Thoughts and prayers to you Pride.

Help Support Us

Become a patron