SMITH: Talented backcourt has Iowa State ready to run

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
No surprises here. Confirms what we've been chatting about. Personally I'm stoked to watch this athletic team perform. If a post happens to step up then even better.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
As good as it all sounds, and as good as our guards are (will be), I see this as a gamble. It would be great to see my apprehension dissolve by the end of the season, but we could be really vulnerable this season with a new system and freshmen starters. I have no doubt Bill is working hard to install the 4G set and make the WBB believe in it. It is new system and it could work greatly, or it could be a big mess.

MattVanWinkle

Nov 18, 2012
Will be critical to keep Christofferson out of foul trouble. They'll need her down low, especially if shots aren't falling (which I could easily see happening). Will be interesting to see how a 4 guard offense works. Even though Buckley is a freshman, she should add a lot to this backcourt.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
We've had freshmen start before. Medders, Wilson, Taylor...all did fine. If you know anything about Coach F, it is that he won't put someone on the floor that can't contribute.

runningcy

Oct 16, 2008
Ames
Looks like the starters will be
G Nikki
G Jadda
F Brynn
F Seanna
C Halllie

I'm sure Kidd will bust in there occasionally as a starter

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
Didn't K-State just try this, albeit with a lesser post and coach? We're going to need Maddie and Jensen to step up, plus Kidd will have to bring it off the bench. We have better athletes and will be hard to guard, especially when hitting shots, I'm exited about this team. We could mix and match in weird ways.

runningcy

Oct 16, 2008
Ames
Kidd 5-7
Nikki 5-8
Jadda 5-8
Brynn 5-11
Seanna 5-11
Fallon 5-11
Jordan 6-2
Hallie 6-3
Maddie 6-4

We will be alright

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
K-State tried it with much lesser talent and less depth.

It'd be of interest to discuss Kansas State's experience with the 4G lineup then. I think it was in the early 2000's but can't recall it. Lately KSU WBB has been tall. I wouldn't be surprised if they have five players over 6' this year.

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
The Green Bay team that blistered us in Hilton in '12 started two players at ,6'0", two at 5'11" and one at 5'7". It's not the size that counts, it's the job she does.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Didn't K-State just try this, albeit with a lesser post and coach? We're going to need Maddie and Jensen to step up, plus Kidd will have to bring it off the bench. We have better athletes and will be hard to guard, especially when hitting shots, I'm exited about this team. We could mix and match in weird ways.

K-State was more of a 5 guard line-up. We at least have some size that can come off the bench.

K-State also really only had Chambers. I think Nikki, Jadda, Brynn and Seanna/Kidd, as a four guard line-up will be a lot for many teams to handle.

We have the element of surprise this year - how are teams going to respond to an offense that can literally be 5 ball handlers(mostly) who all can shoot the three. If you don't guard the perimeter, they will shoot. If you guard to close, they can penetrate, and with all players on the rim, the lanes will be pretty open.

ISU boys do this, and while more common in the men's game, many men's teams couldn't guard it well either.

For me, the offense is the question, it is the defense, and I am more worried about how this team will adjust to being a more pressure defense. Something we have all wanted, but that is a big transition to make. And, Brynn may get worn out guarding at the four, but she is long and quick and a good defender, so it may all work out.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
The Green Bay team that blistered us in Hilton in '12 started two players at ,6'0", two at 5'11" and one at 5'7". It's not the size that counts, it's the job she does.

UWGB is a comparison I made on my own early on when it was revealed we'd go to a Four Guard set. UWGB Coach Bollant went with what he could recruit to UWGB and that was a lot of speedy, smart, skilled, under-sized and mostly WI recruits.

And he coached his teams aggressively to perfection and after years of work came years of success. And that is where the analogy fails in that his team was coached, played, won and matriculated through years in his system. In contrast we are attempting this for the first year using new players.

But it could work! When San Diego surprised us with a quick set attack in volleyball we were lost in confusion. It was a different way to play which we could not adapt to during the course of the match. (However, when San Diego went back to play in its conference, where opponents have seen it all before, the school soon was losing games.) Our WBB opponents could find themselves in the same situation and, though under-sized, could surprise teams.

I am as excited to see this team play as any in the past. Knowing how tough the BIG XII is for WBB; it is hard to believe we could come out with young players, a new system and not see the possibility of problems.

Fennelly has been an adapter and I see it in this season especially. And when things go wrong he makes changes, takes a different approach and keeps working it. But this year we have few options. There is optimism which needs to be tempered. But, I don't like losing to any team from Kansas, Oklahoma or Texas and frustrated we need to, out of necessity, go small when with a little luck we could have a team resembling the type size which brought us success in the past.

Oh and Bollant, he is now at U of Ill and is recruiting, and getting, bigs (Chatrice White for one) so he has changed some too.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
If I recall, Louisville wasn't exactly oversized when they made their run to the Final Four last season. Still, Jordan and/or Maddie are going to have to contribute something. Hopefully Fallon can also contribute something as an undersized forward.