Caseys Gas Question

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I know a thread about this was already started quite a while ago, but couldn't find it. I noticed a while ago that gas at caseys is all 87 octane, including the ethanol blend, that used to be 89. I also noticed that the difference in price between regular unleaded and ethanol blended gas is bigger. Today the price of ethanol blend was $3.14 ad the regular was $3.47. Can someone explain what is going on with this?

Thanks

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
All I know is that Casey's was the first gas station near my house to raise prices to gouging levels on 9/11.

SuperTrooper

Mar 26, 2012
Pipelines are no longer sending 87 unblended gasoline to the midwest. Now 84 and 91 have to be blended to make 87 or 89 octane without Ethanol. That costs more so the price for mid-grade non-ethanol gas is increasing.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Pipelines are no longer sending 87 unblended gasoline to the midwest. Now 84 and 91 have to be blended to make 87 or 89 octane without Ethanol. That costs more so the price for mid-grade non-ethanol gas is increasing.
Which sort of begs the question...

Why did they stop shipping something people use (87 octane) and start shipping something useless (if there is a practical application for 84 octane let me know)? Guess I don't see the point in that!

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA

Why did they stop shipping something people use (87 octane) and start shipping something useless (if there is a practical application for 84 octane let me know)? Guess I don't see the point in that!

From what I've read, the pipeline company made that change based on demand from their customers. I'm assuming someone will make more money because of the switch.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO

Presumably 84 octane is cheaper than 87 although I don't know how much. I'm assuming the gas companies like being able to sell an 87 octane with ethanol in it since most cars don't need the 89 octane when they buy ethanol.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
From what I've read, the pipeline company made that change based on demand from their customers. I'm assuming someone will make more money because of the switch.
That's gotta be the answer right there. Someone figured out they could make an extra penny per gallon by blending 87 themselves from a lower-grade fuel.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Sucks for the people like me that have vehicles that require 89. I'm going to try out 91 and see if my fuel mileage increases since it's not ethanol.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Sucks for the people like me that have vehicles that require 89. I'm going to try out 91 and see if my fuel mileage increases since it's not ethanol.
Give it a couple tanks and you should see a slight increase. Keep in mind though that winter blended fuel will be coming out soon and then everyone's mileage will be going down until spring.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I also just switched from dino to full synthetic so I'll probably be getting around 88 mpg :)

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I noticed that in Omaha 87 and 89 are both ethanol blends and premium is the only one without the junk. (At least at BP)

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I also just switched from dino to full synthetic so I'll probably be getting around 88 mpg :)
I'd suggest sending samples to Black Stone Labs every oil change until you settle on a comfortable oil change interval. With synthetic you can go a long way in a lot of applications and really save a lot of money in the long run. I'm currently going 7500 miles per oil change on NAPA synthetic (made by Valvoline) but I'm contemplating switching to Pennzoil Platinum or Ultimate and could possibly go even longer.

Blackstone Labs

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I'd suggest sending samples to Black Stone Labs every oil change until you settle on a comfortable oil change interval. With synthetic you can go a long way in a lot of applications and really save a lot of money in the long run. I'm currently going 7500 miles per oil change on NAPA synthetic (made by Valvoline) but I'm contemplating switching to Pennzoil Platinum or Ultimate and could possibly go even longer.

Blackstone Labs

I've heard a little bit about blackstone and am going to go with 7k mile oil changes based on what others with similar motors have seen.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I've heard a little bit about blackstone and am going to go with 7k mile oil changes based on what others with similar motors have seen.
I have a friend who went to twice a year oil changes regardless of mileage. He does it in April and October so he doesn't have to be working on his car when it's really cold. He's usually at 7-8k per OCI. I might start doing that as well although I log a bit more miles than him.