Front Court

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
With our front court next year being so thin...How does everybody feel about moving WJ back to the 4 spot? Just curious.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
You can call Wes whatever number... he will still shoot outside.. play as a wing...

He can guard different types of players... So it really doesnt matter what 'position he is' right?

I mean it's not like he would go to being a low post scorer. Not with his ability.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I think we'll see him at the 3 / 4 next year, rather than the 2 / 3 he is playing this year. He is a better rebounder than Brackins, and we'll need him to be in better position to rebound next year with Clark and Jiri gone.

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
You can call Wes whatever number... he will still shoot outside.. play as a wing...

He can guard different types of players... So it really doesnt matter what 'position he is' right?

I mean it's not like he would go to being a low post scorer. Not with his ability.

Buckley at point, DG 2 guard, Lucca small forward/gaurd, Brackins floating (not a banger), WJ floating...as you say

Where is your inside presents? AT? Mann? Just saying we have some problems next year...

rhillary

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 31, 2007
Plainfield, IL
I think we'll see him at the 3 / 4 next year, rather than the 2 / 3 he is playing this year. He is a better rebounder than Brackins, and we'll need him to be in better position to rebound next year with Clark and Jiri gone.

I totally agree. I like Wesley going up against 3/4 guys because he is usually faster and more athletic, but gives up some strengh. He really can play a 2, 3, or 4 so it just depends on what we need. I would look for him to be a 3 with Brackins and AT being our 4 & 5. That would be pretty nice... :biggrin:

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I would not be suprised at all to see DG at the point and Buckley at SG. I know Buckley has been playing SG this year, you think maybe he suggested that knowing where we wanted him? If he is a better shooter than DG then I think this would be a great move based on Garrett's ability to drive and dish...

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
I would not be suprised at all to see DG at the point and Buckley at SG. I know Buckley has been playing SG this year, you think maybe he suggested that knowing where we wanted him? If he is a better shooter than DG then I think this would be a great move based on Garrett's ability to drive and dish...

Buckley will be at the point...guaranteed. Maybe a backup to Appleton if we get him, but at the point non the less. Point is why he was recruited. Only switched on his high school team because they needed points.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Buckley will be at the point...guaranteed. Maybe a backup to Appleton if we get him, but at the point non the less. Point is why he was recruited. Only switched on his high school team because they needed points.

I agree. Also, there is no way Staiger isn't a starter next year.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA

Cybookie? I would put alot of credits on DG being a PG option before Buckley.

MJAnderson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2007
I think we'll see Garrett start at the point next year. With some work on finishing and some added strength, I think he will be very good. He will also have a year under his belt and be familiar with the system. I haven't seen Buckley play but if he turns out to be better and earns the starting role, thats just better news yet.

cyclonemaniac7

Apr 11, 2006
I would like WJ to stay at the 2/3 if possible, but most likely he'll play the 3/4. I want WJ shooting from the outside, but I would rather our 4 not shoot from the outside. I would like our bigs to stay down low if possible.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
If DG is at the 2 spot, I sure hope that he isn't playing the traditional "shooting guard" 2 position. Maybe we won't need him shooting from there with our bigger guys shooting well from outside.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Why couldn't Garrett and Buckley be on the floor at the same time? You can never have too many ballhandlers.

As for the original question, I've thought a lot about this.

IMO, (and this will totally change if we bring in some other guys) we have two options next year. Play WJ and Brackins in the frontcourt and have a very athletic frontcourt and hope like heck a host of new guys can do well enough in the backcourt.

Or, we can play WJ in the backcourt and hope like heck Thompson can play major minutes in the frontcourt.

IMO, both options spell NIT.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

He will play outside as a wing regardless on offense, but who he guards on defense will matter dramatically if he's playing in the frontcourt or backcourt.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I think position labels are a waste of time.

I agree. It makes more sense to talk about responsibilities.

Shooters- Wes, Lucca, Haluska, Ike, Boozer, Peterson
Rebounding- Wes, Craig, AT, CJ, Lee
On the ball D- Haluska, Lee, Garrett, Peterson, Buckely
Post D- AT, Craig, Wes, CJ, Mann, Hamilton
Facilitate offense (passing)- Garrett, Lucca, Buckley, Peterson, AT
Dribble drive- Garrett, Buckley
Help D- Wes, Craig, AT

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

Wow guaranteed, lets hope he is that good to be able to start right away.

Why couldn't Garrett and Buckley be on the floor at the same time? You can never have too many ballhandlers.

In todays college basketball do you really need to say he plays this. Look at this years team the players move around, play and do so many different things. I agree if Buckley and Garrett are your 2 best guards play them. There will be a short (young) bench again next year I'm sure McD will start the 5 best players that give him a chance to win. We all know Wes can do more than play guard. McD will find ways to get him the ball and score no matter what he plays.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
wes needs to be the 3... playing the 4 is just to much inside work for him, he's better when he can face the basket and either shoot over people or drive it

nickwc

Mar 27, 2007
Denver, CO
i was recently watching the tape of the isu vs texas game and it seems a number of times wes had a smaller player on him, a lot smaller actually and never once did we try to iso him and back him down, or set a play for him to get to the block. I really think wes must feel uncomfortable down low so i will expect him to be more like clark next year, more of the three then two