AM 1700

CYandIareBFFs

Jan 24, 2011
Milwaukee
It sucks. No other way to describe it. Just got my car so I've been listening to more radio, and since all music stations blow IMO its sports talk. When the hell did The Champ/ESPN get taken over by the joke that CBS calls sports radio. At least 1460 is halfway decent. Also, is there a ESPN radio station in DSM anymore or do I gotta go to the app. End rant.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Dan Patrick in the morning

Murph & Andy in the afternoon

Only good sports radio shows you can get in Central Iowa.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
I don't mind Mike and Mike for what they are ... they have their shtick and they do it pretty well. Certainly not a terrible thing to listen to in the morning (better than Crank and the Beej's Early Morning Apocalypse Laff-fest, which is what every FM station around seems to have a version of in the mornings).

Colin Cowherd blows chunks. I can't stand that guy. What a sanctimonious, self-serving poor excuse for a man. He favors all the big boys in all the sports "because that's what people want to watch" and "that's what's relevant." He uses the word "relevant" every time he can't think of what to say. He's a front-runner and can't enjoy sports for the unexpected, the upset, the miraculous effort - the teams with the best personnel and the most money are supposed to win, every time, every game. It also hurts my ears to hear him pronounce the word "always" as "ulways." Did I mention I can't stand him?

We don't get SVP over here in eastern Iowa, because our station tape-delays Dan Patrick and runs it in the afternoons. Personally, I'd rather they run Patrick over Cowherd (or someone could run a truck over Cowherd, that works for me, too). Then again, the highlight of ESPN radio for me was the glory days of Mike and Mike, followed by Tony Kornheiser, followed by Dan Patrick. That was great sports radio. Or was Patrick in between Mike and Mike and Kornheiser? I can't even remember anymore, it's been so long.

Just my opinion. I guess I agree some ESPN radio blows. They certainly pimp their TV programming relentlessly (talking NBA basketball during the baseball stretch run and the start of college football? You have to be kidding me), but that's sports programming everywhere these days.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
I like it. The morning show sucks but against the two dip***** on 1460, it is a gem. Gottlieb in the afternoons and Scott Farrell at night are two of the best shows in sports radio.

Garman and Cotlar are terrible, but they get good guests. Without Cotlar's rolodex, he would be without a job. He is just as bad as the idiots in the morning on 1460.

Last edited by a moderator:

CYandIareBFFs

Jan 24, 2011
Milwaukee
The only reason I want ESPN radio is for the baseball playoffs, Im a Tigers fan and delivery driver so. Other than that and SVP I could care less about it; just was bummed it was replaced with what I think is worse. DSM just cant get rid of Jim Rome. Been listening to a lot of Jay Mohr, what he lacks in sports knowledge he makes up for in humor..mostly.

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
Give CW a morning show!!!

That way I actually have a good option for sports talk on my drive to work in the morning

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Murph and Andy is the best show on radio in central Iowa. Dan patrick is solid. The morning clowns on 1460 blow, I don't know how they are still employed. Jay Mohr is okay he was better when he subbed for Rome. I know I am in the minority but I like Miller and Brinson. Frankly I have not turned the dial to 1700 for a long time and won't go back.

cyclone1975

Feb 4, 2007
Ankeny
Murph and Andy is the best show on radio in central Iowa. Dan patrick is solid. The morning clowns on 1460 blow, I don't know how they are still employed. Jay Mohr is okay he was better when he subbed for Rome. I know I am in the minority but I like Miller and Brinson. Frankly I have not turned the dial to 1700 for a long time and won't go back.

I agree on all fronts. Mohr used to be great as a sub for Rome. He started out strong when he got his own show, but I think he has steadily declined. It can be really hard to listen to at times. I hope he figures out the right balance of sports and humor and learns how to let anyone else complete a sentence.

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny
It sucks. No other way to describe it. Just got my car so I've been listening to more radio, and since all music stations blow IMO its sports talk. When the hell did The Champ/ESPN get taken over by the joke that CBS calls sports radio. At least 1460 is halfway decent. Also, is there a ESPN radio station in DSM anymore or do I gotta go to the app. End rant.

1700's owner, Cumulus, is in bed with CBS Sports Radio. Back in January, all Cumulus sports stations was forced to switch to CBS Sports.

abe2010

Jan 14, 2009
Story City, IA

No but you can usually pick up AM 590 out of Omaha and that is an ESPN station

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
How the **** do you guys like Murph and Andy? I listened to them on my way over to Muscatine last week. They wouldn't shut up about Iowa.

AllBig12Drinker

Dec 7, 2009
West Des Moines

I must be in the minority but Murph and Andy has become almost unlistenable. Can they find a time slot to add one more lame "contest" to their show? Guess who's birthday and now the three point play. I have found myself turning the station a lot on them. Seems like their show used to be a lot better. Oh and how they do the rant about how they are not Hawkeye or Cyclone fans. We get it, you are indifferent.

Miller and Brinson is ok, Brinson holds that show back by trying to be funny and too many "cool story bro" anecdotes.

I've been listening to 810 out of KC a lot lately, comes in pretty good and I'm eating up all the Chiefs talk.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
they're usually very fair to both teams when i get a chance to listen

Driving to Muscatine, it was Iowa's matchup against Minnesota the whole time. The other time I listened to it, they were talking about who was the greatest Iowa QB of all time. They briefly discussed the NHL opener and MLB Playoffs but they didn't even say Iowa State or the Cyclones

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Wish they'd move out of bounds so we can get 3 hours of Rome.