CPR ...and some stats

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Cyclones.com posted this article today... Why We Love Coach Rhoads | Cyclone Sidebar

Also, I was just checking through our season stats, and some things stuck out to me.

-We have outscored our opponents 109-107. Pretty good for a 1-3 (or 2-2, really!) team.
-We have 54 yards of offense more than our opponents!
-We only have 7 sacks, but have allowed 16. Those are huge issues for this team.
-Sam Richardson is on pace to throw for 3,057 yards and 27 TDs.
-Bundrage is on pace to get 972 rec. yards and 12 TDs.
-Cole Netten is a perfect 11-11 of XPs, and 6-8 on FGs with his only two misses being from beyond 45 yds.
-Jeremiah George is now averaging exactly 10 tackles per game, and J. Washington at 9.5. They are both on pace to top the 100 mark. Luke Knott is at 7.3 tackles per game and had a forced fumble. Brackens, Sam E. Richardson and Broomy are all averaging over 6 tackles per game.

MarkCorrigan

Sep 16, 2013
I do not mean to be a pessimist but we have only played four games against some mediocre opponents, so I would not make any season projections or do a whole lot of chest bumping based on that small sample.

There is no denying that we have gotten better though.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
I do not mean to be a pessimist but we have only played four games against some mediocre opponents, so I would not make any season projections or do a whole lot of chest bumping based on that small sample.

There is no denying that we have gotten better though.

Compared to the first 4 games of every other season for a long team, we have improved in nearly every category besides wins.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Cyclones.com posted this article today... Why We Love Coach Rhoads | Cyclone Sidebar

Also, I was just checking through our season stats, and some things stuck out to me.

-We have outscored our opponents 109-107. Pretty good for a 1-3 (or 2-2, really!) team.
-We have 54 yards of offense more than our opponents!
-We only have 7 sacks, but have allowed 16. Those are huge issues for this team.
-Sam Richardson is on pace to throw for 3,057 yards and 27 TDs.
-Bundrage is on pace to get 972 rec. yards and 12 TDs.
-Cole Netten is a perfect 11-11 of XPs, and 6-8 on FGs with his only two misses being from beyond 45 yds.
-Jeremiah George is now averaging exactly 10 tackles per game, and J. Washington at 9.5. They are both on pace to top the 100 mark. Luke Knott is at 7.3 tackles per game and had a forced fumble. Brackens, Sam E. Richardson and Broomy are all averaging over 6 tackles per game.

None of this seems odd for a 2-2 team.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Considering that we didn't move the ball all that well our first two games, it amazes me we have out gained our opponents in yardage.
Sam R may also get 582 yards rushing, more than any of our backs from last year. Last year James White had 505 yards.

FanatiClone

Sep 26, 2012
wherever i go, there i am
Sam R may also get 582 yards rushing, more than any of our backs from last year. Last year James White had 505 yards.

Is that what he's on pace to get? B/c if so, he will probably annihilate that number considering he really couldn't even run in half the games we've played so far. As long as he remains at least as healthy as he was for the Texas game.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
Is that what he's on pace to get? B/c if so, he will probably annihilate that number considering he really couldn't even run in half the games we've played so far. As long as he remains at least as healthy as he was for the Texas game.

He did look like he was hurting pretty bad there at the end of the game. Guess we will see next week. I'm pretty excited that Bundrage could possibly break 1,000 if he keeps playing well.

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
This is going to sound like a smart ***, sarcastic question, but it's sincere... Is it possible that Mess is no longer calling plays? Is Sturdy still on the sideline (and not holding a play card)? I know I saw him down there against Iowa, but did anyone see him against Tulsa and Texas?

Clearly this offense has made dramatic improvements. No doubt some of it is due to health, but there is also evidence of some philosophical shifts/adjustments, which is why I ask the question. And I realize that it is entirely possible that Mess may have made some adjustments himself or been strongly encouraged to do so.

FanatiClone

Sep 26, 2012
This is going to sound like a smart ***, sarcastic question, but it's sincere... Is it possible that Mess is no longer calling plays? Is Sturdy still on the sideline (and not holding a play card)? I know I saw him down there against Iowa, but did anyone see him against Tulsa and Texas?

Clearly this offense has made dramatic improvements. No doubt some of it is due to health, but there is also evidence of some philosophical shifts/adjustments, which is why I ask the question. And I realize that it is entirely possible that Mess may have made some adjustments himself or been strongly encouraged to do so.

This, b/c from what I hear, Mess is still calling plays.

cloneteach

Nov 19, 2009

I thought this during the Tulsa game as well. Too dramatic of a change IMO for one person to make.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
Bigger picture:

All time ISU W/L % = .458
Modern era ISU W/L % (Majors to now) = .409
CPR era W/L % =.455

Optimist view: we are performing slightly above recent historical averages and are building a solid foundation to "take the next step"

Pessimistic view: we can't escape our sub .500 heritage no matter what we do.

As a fan, I have to believe the first. If we find a way to scratch out five wins this year and then put together back to back 8 win seasons, CPR finds himself on a short list of ISU coaches with above .500 winning %.

Have to get a few conf. wins this year to keep some momentum.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I thought this during the Tulsa game as well. Too dramatic of a change IMO for one person to make.

Playcalling always starts to look better when the QB's health returns, the o-line begins to gel, we find a consistent running back, and receivers catch balls and begin making extra yards after the catch.

FanatiClone

Sep 26, 2012
the only stat that matters.

Not true. Unless you believed this wasn't going to be a down year, record wise. If you did believe it was going to be, then seeing marked improvement from week to week becomes the expectation, or at least the hope. Many posters predicted this in advance of the season. It's easy to be lulled into the idea that it's all about Ws and Ls, but I always tell my clients/students that improving upon where you were/are is a truer barometer than some idealized outcome. This isn't just some cliche I spout about. I believe it. Trust me, I'd love to pile up the wins, but I knew where we were starting from this year and had no illusions about how this season would turn out. I still hopeful, but realistic. Next year will be better but the following year I dont doubt that our record will put us in the top 4 of the Big12.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron