Big 12 Publicly Reprimands Rhoads

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
The Big 12 Conference announced a public reprimand of Iowa State University head football coach Paul Rhoads for publicly commenting on the officiating following Thursday night’s football game against Texas. His comments were in violation of the Big 12 Conference’s Sportsmanship and Ethical Conduct rules.

“Coach Rhoads violated Conference rules that prohibit coaches, student-athletes, athletic department staff and university personnel from making public comments about game officials,” said Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby. “Although more severe action was possible he is being issued a public reprimand. Coach Rhoads is also put on notice that future incidents may result in a more serious penalty.”

Big 12 Issues Public Reprimand of Paul Rhoads - Big 12 Conference - Official Athletic Site

They also issued a public reprimand of Texas WR Mike Davis:

The Big 12 Conference announced a public reprimand of University of Texas football student-athlete Mike Davis for his action leading to assessment of a personal foul penalty during Texas’ third-quarter touchdown in Thursday night’s game at Iowa State.

“In accord with the Conference’s Sportsmanship and Ethical Conduct policy, Mr. Davis’ action was in violation of the rule prohibiting physically abusive acts toward an opponent’s team members during a contest,” said Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby. “Given the heightened emphasis on player safety, unnecessary and illegal acts such as this have no place in the game and are unacceptable. Mr. Davis is also put on notice that any future such behavior may result in a more serious penalty, including possible suspension.”

Big 12 Issues Public Reprimand of Mike Davis - Big 12 Conference - Official Athletic Site

Last edited:

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
I bet their reprimand lacked the passion that CPRs public reprimand of the B12 officials had.

This sounds like Bowlsby basically saying "Yeah Rhoads was right they got hosed, but I have to say something."

Reactions: mctallerton

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I don't want Coach Rhoads to incur further trouble, so allow me to step in for him.

Dear Big 12, blow me.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
They also issued a public reprimand of Texas WR Mike Davis:

The Big 12 Conference announced a public reprimand of University of Texas football student-athlete Mike Davis for his action leading to assessment of a personal foul penalty during Texas’ third-quarter touchdown in Thursday night’s game at Iowa State.

“In accord with the Conference’s Sportsmanship and Ethical Conduct policy, Mr. Davis’ action was in violation of the rule prohibiting physically abusive acts toward an opponent’s team members during a contest,” said Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby. “Given the heightened emphasis on player safety, unnecessary and illegal acts such as this have no place in the game and are unacceptable. Mr. Davis is also put on notice that any future such behavior may result in a more serious penalty, including possible suspension.”

Big 12 Issues Public Reprimand of Mike Davis - Big 12 Conference - Official Athletic Site

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
No fine = Big 12's gutless way of saying CPR was right.

No suspension = Big 12's gutless way of saying "Mike Davis plays at Texas."

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Also CW was warned:

The Big 12 Conference announced a public reprimand of Cyclone Fanatic Administrator Chris Williams for his reactions to the correctly called "no fumble" play in Thursday night’s game at Iowa State.

“In accord with the Conference’s Media Suck Up policy, Mr. Williams’ action was in violation of the rule prohibiting criticism of official calls involving the University of Texas,” said Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby. “Given the heightened emphasis on the University of Texas winning, unnecessary criticisms such as this have no place on the internet and are unacceptable. Mr. Williams is also put on notice that any future such behavior may result in a more serious penalty, including possible message board trolling.”

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
Conference rules that prohibit coaches, student-athletes, athletic department staff and university personnel from making public comments about game officials,â€￾

What did he say about game officials? He inferred that something was taken away from his players by someone but never said the refs were bad or the reason directly. I thought he danced around that rule all the while being as passionate and classy in a rant the whole world knew what he was talking about. Fact is if the refs are that bad you don't need to say it directly, everyone knows, that isn't his fault. This ticks me off. Gotta keep Boss Deloss happy though.

Spam

May 21, 2008
Rhoads should have dived into Mack Brown's knee. The punishment for criticizing officials and illegal dives into people's knees is the same, after all.