MAILBAG: Still 10 games to go

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I like your optimism on the rest of the season, but it is going to take some real offense, and so far we have not seen much. Hopefully the team will have some down field passing in games before they are hopelessly out of the games. This team has got to find a way to get away from the 8-9 man in the box defenses. The Hawks and Panthers were both daring ISU to take a shot down field most of the games with single coverage and safeties either lost or supporting underneath.

I will agree that the defense was much better against Iowa. The possession after ISU cut the lead to 13-7 was very disheartening, but as ISU fans we have all see this before. Still do not understand why ISU can't just kick the ball deep in the endzone there. Iowa starting at the 40 instead of the 25 would have at least taken longer.

djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
Des Moines, IA
I still think this will be a very decent team by the end of the season with 3 - 4 wins. And for the record, that's exactly what I said before the season started. I am a little disappointed in some of the position groups though, I thought we'd show more than we have.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
While I get injuries play a roll, I don't get this idea that we can't do this or we can't do that. If that were true then we never would have beat OSU.

When I was in high school we were horrible at football. Our coaches always told us the things we couldn't do, throw down field run trick plays that kind of thing. Then after I graduated, those coaches finally got tired of ruining high school lives (that is a joke, they are actually good people just bad football coaches), and the new coach came in and all of the sudden the football team started winning. It had nothing to do with talent, as I would guess we were as physically talented of a team as the guys after us if not more so, it was just the coach didn't limit them as to what they could do on the field.

That said, the idea that they can't do certain things against Iowa/UNI/Tulsa is bull ****. Could they be limited how many times they throw down field, or how often they run the zone read, yes but that doesn't mean they shouldn't do it at all. I know CW doesn't like to criticize play calling, and honestly for the most part he is right, but for the past 3 ISU game, play calling has been horrible. And using excuses of injuries, talent limitations, and guys not making plays to get on Sport Center are cheap and aren't worth bullet to the brain that is needed to erase the image those offensive performances produce.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
AMC is marathoning Breaking Bad starting Wednesday, so CW if you have a DVR you could save yourself some money and just record it.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I disagree about exchanging U-M & BYU for cupcakes.

It would be nice to have more of a cushion early in the season to gain a little easier traction for newcomers. But eventually, you have to play someone, and if you want to be a tournament team, you can't rely solely on Big 12 play for SOS.

If a team is a little green, they may lose to likely/probably tourney teams (U-M, BYU, perhaps a team or two in Hawaii) or pile up more wins against non-relevant opponents (or risk a bad loss).

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
You say "still 10 games to go" as if that's a good thing. :confused:

523c8188a5d1227281d5.jpg

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
10 games to go. So we just have to go 6-4 in order to salvage the season. 5-5 or worse and it's a wasted season IMO.

If you can't go 6-6 in year 5, then that is worthless.

So.... we need to come up with our 6 wins on the schedule. Where are they? With this offense, I'm not seeing it. At best I'm seeing 3 wins. That is not acceptable in year 5, and I'm sure Paul Rhoads would be the first one to agree with that.

As CW said time and time again, the Iowa game was a must win. And I'm afraid it was. I would love to be the first to come back on here and eat my words if we win 6 games and go bowling though. I would eat crow like there's no tomorrow.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
10 games to go. So we just have to go 6-4 in order to salvage the season. 5-5 or worse and it's a wasted season IMO.

If you can't go 6-6 in year 5, then that is worthless.

So.... we need to come up with our 6 wins on the schedule. Where are they? With this offense, I'm not seeing it. At best I'm seeing 3 wins. That is not acceptable in year 5, and I'm sure Paul Rhoads would be the first one to agree with that.

As CW said time and time again, the Iowa game was a must win. And I'm afraid it was. I would love to be the first to come back on here and eat my words if we win 6 games and go bowling though. I would eat crow like there's no tomorrow.

Dude....brah....it's just a game. It's just a stupid game.

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
AMC is marathoning Breaking Bad starting Wednesday, so CW if you have a DVR you could save yourself some money and just record it.

It's also in streaming on Netflix, good way to catch up through season 5 (no commercials to fast forward through). You'd still have to record this season's (5b or 6? the last group of 8 episodes) to get completely caught up.

My favorite dramatic program on TV right now, probably in the last 5 years or so. Dexter was up there, bu the last season or two have not been as good.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
It's also in streaming on Netflix, good way to catch up through season 5 (no commercials to fast forward through). You'd still have to record this season's (5b or 6? the last group of 8 episodes) to get completely caught up.

My favorite dramatic program on TV right now, probably in the last 5 years or so. Dexter was up there, bu the last season or two have not been as good.

Interesting someone should say that

Dexter’s Terrible Final Season and How Breaking Bad Ruined the Series - Hollywood Prospectus Blog - Grantland

Thought this was a good read.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois

It would be nice to have more of a cushion early in the season to gain a little easier traction for newcomers. But eventually, you have to play someone, and if you want to be a tournament team, you can't rely solely on Big 12 play for SOS.

If a team is a little green, they may lose to likely/probably tourney teams (U-M, BYU, perhaps a team or two in Hawaii) or pile up more wins against non-relevant opponents (or risk a bad loss).

Agreed, a cupcake schedule should only be used when you're not expected to be any good. When your expectations are NCAA tournament, it's important to test yourself in the non-conference portion of your schedule. What good does it do your team to beat up on a bunch of Alabama A&M teams? We already have plenty of those on the schedule this year. Replacing the Michigan and BYU games with more cupcakes wouldn't be beneficial at all.

I'd rather lose to Michigan and have the chance to beat them than beat up on SW Arkansas St.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa

Agreed, a cupcake schedule should only be used when you're not expected to be any good. When your expectations are NCAA tournament, it's important to test yourself in the non-conference portion of your schedule. What good does it do your team to beat up on a bunch of Alabama A&M teams? We already have plenty of those on the schedule this year. Replacing the Michigan and BYU games with more cupcakes wouldn't be beneficial at all.

I'd rather lose to Michigan and have the chance to beat them than beat up on SW Arkansas St.

Wrong thread?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Dude....brah....it's just a game. It's just a stupid game.

Ha... funny. You have to love middle school humor.

Oh, and by the way, I couldn't agree more. It is just a stupid game. What does it matter if ISU goes 0-12? Nothing to me. That's what. I would love it if ISU was good in football, but it's nothing more than useless entertainment really.

Now for people that work for ISU football, or probably guys like CW, the success of Cyclone football means a LOT. This site would possibly turn into a morgue if we had several 0-12 seasons.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
This site would possibly turn into a morgue if we had several 0-12 seasons.

That's not true at all. It wouldn't help business but Iowa State has one of the most loyal fan bases in America. Record enrollment, basketball success, etc. Lots of great things are going on. I'm not worried. You Fanatics are the best.

Reactions: CyTwins

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
That's not true at all. It wouldn't help business but Iowa State has one of the most loyal fan bases in America. Record enrollment, basketball success, etc. Lots of great things are going on. I'm not worried. You Fanatics are the best.

Also, Fred.