Iowa Basketball Recruiting

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
I figured instead of doing work this morning to see how the Hawkeyes are recruiting this year. It honestly looks like they won't land one of the recruits they're after. Last year's class included Jok only, and if this class ends up being a nightmare, Iowa is in some trouble. Marble, their best player, is a senior and if they don't find anyone to fill his role next year (Jok isn't the answer in my opinion), they're going to be god awful. Woodbury was massively overrated coming out of high school. The only thing he would win is "Fugliest Person in D1 College Ball" with Gessell being a close second. Iowa will have no depth next year unless they start reeling in transfers and Juco's, even though that isn't doing things the right way. It's rather exciting seeing Iowa get themselves in over their heads with one good recruiting class then do absolutely nothing after that. Anyone else feel like Fran got off to a great start but has lost all momentum now?

Reactions: Rhoadhoused

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Iowa only had one scholarship to use last year, which is why they only brought in one player. But hey, if you need to put down Iowa basketball to get over the dumpster fire you call a football team then by all means have at it. I've got a football team to pay attention to, at least for another week.

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
I am not in the boat where they are in a downward spiral quite yet.

As long as you are talking about fugliest, gotta throw Aaron White in the mix too.

That being said. When they lose Marble, they still have Clemmons, Gesell, White, Woodbury, and Uthoff. That's a pretty solid lineup there. Not an overly athletic team but solid. The jury is still out on Jok/Meyer and a few others.

Are we in a better position? Absolutely, and Hawks can hold on to their "wrong way" rants, but its pretty safe to see we are ahead of the game in the race to relevancy. I like the fact that both teams are doing better, makes the rivalry more of just that, a rivalry. Of course, I always want us to be a little bit better. I wouldn't go as far as them being awful in a couple years. Fran is a good coach, but outside of the Iowa boys, hasn't shown much on the recruiting trail. This year they are in with some bigger names and although they may land none, its a start and they are headed up.

breck53

Aug 29, 2008
I figured instead of doing work this morning to see how the Hawkeyes are recruiting this year. It honestly looks like they won't land one of the recruits they're after. Last year's class included Jok only, and if this class ends up being a nightmare, Iowa is in some trouble. Marble, their best player, is a senior and if they don't find anyone to fill his role next year (Jok isn't the answer in my opinion), they're going to be god awful. Woodbury was massively overrated coming out of high school. The only thing he would win is "Fugliest Person in D1 College Ball" with Gessell being a close second. Iowa will have no depth next year unless they start reeling in transfers and Juco's, even though that isn't doing things the right way. It's rather exciting seeing Iowa get themselves in over their heads with one good recruiting class then do absolutely nothing after that. Anyone else feel like Fran got off to a great start but has lost all momentum now?

I guess you've got to take your frustration out somehow.....

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
The obsession with the attractiveness of basketball players on here is quite odd.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
I am not in the boat where they are in a downward spiral quite yet.

As long as you are talking about fugliest, gotta throw Aaron White in the mix too.

That being said. When they lose Marble, they still have Clemmons, Gesell, White, Woodbury, and Uthoff. That's a pretty solid lineup there. Not an overly athletic team but solid. The jury is still out on Jok/Meyer and a few others.

Are we in a better position? Absolutely, and Hawks can hold on to their "wrong way" rants, but its pretty safe to see we are ahead of the game in the race to relevancy. I like the fact that both teams are doing better, makes the rivalry more of just that, a rivalry. Of course, I always want us to be a little bit better. I wouldn't go as far as them being awful in a couple years. Fran is a good coach, but outside of the Iowa boys, hasn't shown much on the recruiting trail. This year they are in with some bigger names and although they may land none, its a start and they are headed up.
While that's a good lineup, there's nothing to come off the bench. Their guys can't handle 35-40 minutes each. As much as I hate Iowa, I want them to be good because it'll make the rivalry better. Also, Iowa fans will use a million excuses if their program starts to fizzle out and we beat them.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
I'm no Iowa apologist, but to call them God awful is not fair, nor should they be next year. They essentially had two recruits, as they not only brought in Jok, but also Uthoff is coming off his transfer year. Iowa is very deep, and loses 4 seniors after this year if you count Stokes (not sure if Junior or Senior and too lazy to look it up) who they just put on scholarship. However, I believe they go 7-8 deep even without those players, thus should have some depth even if they didn't bring in anyone.

They will still have height, with Woodbury, Olaseni, White, Uthoff and Meyer as well as guards in Gesell, Clemmons, and Jok with maybe one or two others. The question for that team will be who can create their own shot? Certainly Marble has done that for them at times. Gesell may have that ability. We will see how Jok's knees hold up to an entire season. We know he can shoot, but we will see this year if he can create. While Gesell can play the point, I think they see him as more of a two guard. While they seem to have struck out on their big time PG recruits, they didn't have to have one this year, but they will still likely get a JUCO. I think they will have to have one next year.

I like the way we match up with them, especially if we can pull it a top flight 3 this year and a 4 or 5 next year. If we are fortunate enough to get Vaughn and Cunningham this year, then I would dance a jig and take our squad over theirs in a heart beat, even if our frosh only have one year under them by then, and I haven't even counted the JUCOs we get this year.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Don't you know Jok will replace Marble at the point?
He is after all, a "shadow" top 50 player.
I believe that's a newly invented internet term.

Oct 18, 2011
Iowa only had one scholarship to use last year, which is why they only brought in one player. But hey, if you need to put down Iowa basketball to get over the dumpster fire you call a football team then by all means have at it. I've got a football team to pay attention to, at least for another week.

Well said.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
This is a make or break class for Fran and I think he knows it. He fell back on Jok last year but getting in Uthoff was a good pickup. If he beats out some MAC teams for a few guys then it's hard to think Iowa will ever turn the corner from being an NIT team.

cytown

Aug 8, 2012
Naperville, IL
This is a make or break class for Fran and I think he knows it. He fell back on Jok last year but getting in Uthoff was a good pickup. If he beats out some MAC teams for a few guys then it's hard to think Iowa will ever turn the corner from being an NIT team.

Agree with this. He took the team from complete ******* to meh. If hes going to go from meh to good - he needs better players than he has. Much better.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

You don't have to go far to hear he was in the top 150.
Where does he play? Really hard to believe he can defend BCS-level threes.
He also hasn't played in three years.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
You don't have to go far to hear he was in the top 150.
Where does he play? Really hard to believe he can defend BCS-level threes.
He also hasn't played in three years.

I don't know much about him besides Hoiberg wanted him and that's enough for me to believe he's got to bring something to the table. I think Fred would have used him to stretch the floor because of his size, Fran plays a more traditional lineup so I don't know where he fits in there

AltHawk

Sep 2, 2012

I disagree. IMO 2015 is the make or break class. Iowa can afford to leave a scholarship open in this year's recruiting class and save it for 2015, when they should have much more success on the recruiting trail. Like others have said, they were in on some high quality recruits this year, they just don't have a proven track record of recent success. Recruits can see the momentum the program is building, and they are acknowledging it, they are just going with the more proven program right now. If Iowa finishes well in the B1G and wins a game or two in the tourney, you will see Iowa land some out of state Top 100 guys.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
I disagree. IMO 2015 is the make or break class. Iowa can afford to leave a scholarship open in this year's recruiting class and save it for 2015, when they should have much more success on the recruiting trail. Like others have said, they were in on some high quality recruits this year, they just don't have a proven track record of recent success. Recruits can see the momentum the program is building, and they are acknowledging it, they are just going with the more proven program right now. If Iowa finishes well in the B1G and wins a game or two in the tourney, you will see Iowa land some out of state Top 100 guys.

So... Since Top 100 guys are out, just planning on legacies and mid-major recruits??

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

So if they dont bring in any real talent in 2014 that's no big deal?

Oct 18, 2011
So if they dont bring in any real talent in 2014 that's no big deal?

Sure it's a big deal. It's not "make or break" as you stated though. If 2014 AND 2015 are weak......then we have problems. I consider 2012 (woody, gessel, clemmons) and 13 (Uthof, Jok) to be solid classes. 14 at this point isn't looking very good. Need to step it up in 15...we'll see. As a previous poster stated....need to see continued improvement, ie a tourney bid and a win or two. Success, especially for a program that was a dumpster fire for 3-4 years, will definitely help in recruiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.