Engineering Career Fair a Week Away

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Dont go with someone else.
Do a scouting lap.
Do your homework ahead of time. Look up companies that will be there and that you want to intern with.
Be yourself.

CyZinger

Aug 13, 2013
Wear lots and lots of cologne. Then find the female representatives.

Use pickup lines.

Jean shorts impress.

Wear sandals so your foot odor won't get bottled up in shoes.

Always tell them how many beers you can down.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Dont go.
Do your homework ahead of time. Look up companies that will be there and that you want to intern with.
Apply on their website, because they won't be taking resumes or scheduling interviews at the career fair.

Fixed that for you.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Wear a Jack Trice jersey and tell them you need a real job because the team is not doing well.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
All work and interviews should be lined up ahead of time. The only reason you are there is to introduce yourself. Any company worth a damn will probably have their interview schedule full by the time the doors open.

Have a conversation with the reps, not a canned speech about yourself.

During the fair and interviews, get business cards. Follow up the next morning thanking them for the conversation/interview.

Just remember, most large companies treat the career fair as a gateway to get a real interview (for full time at least).

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
1.) Iron your khaki pants and blue shirts.

2.) consider another pant/ shirt combo, because everyone goes with khaki and blue.
But maybe steer clear of red shirts - especially if you're really pale.

Sorry, but as an architect, that's all I'm qualified to advise you on. Seriously though, it's good advice.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Also dont make stuff up on your resume. Many companies send younger people who recently graduated from ISU that were involved in clubs and stuff and could know if you're making stuff up. (Which is what I'll be doing)

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Dont go with someone else.
Do a scouting lap.
Be yourself.

Never attended the Engineering career day but always went to the Ag career day. I landed my job that I am in now last year at the career day during my senior year. I agree with all of what cmj said and will add a couple:

Unless you are a freshman, wear a suit. Freshman can get by with Khakis and a shirt because they are probably looking for entry level things. You don't want to miss out on a good job because you made a bad first impression.

Go early. I always tried to be there within the first half hour. By the end of the day the companies have seen and talked to so many people that things run together. They are more likely to remember you if you were one of the first ones they talked to. Not to mention interview slots fill up fast, going early gives you the best shot at getting a time that fits your schedule.

Take more resumes than you think you need. I always took 10-15. Almost everybody you talk to will ask for one.

Go to a booth that you may not necessarily be interested in first as a "warm up". Don't go right up to the company you want to work for as your first contact. It always took me a couple of booths before I was on my game.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Also dont make stuff up on your resume. Many companies send younger people who recently graduated from ISU that were involved in clubs and stuff and could know if you're making stuff up. (Which is what I'll be doing)

So if I say I was on the football team as a practice player, what would happen?

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I won't be recruiting this year but I have in past years. My number one piece of advice is don't just hand me your resume and stand there. Say something to introduce yourself and maybe something about the company (or hell, anything) while I'm giving it a quick scan. My second piece of advice is that if you answer every one of my questions with 1-2 words your resume is going to the bottom of the pile. You have about 30 seconds to a minute to make a positive impression and stand out among a couple hundred people. SAY SOMETHING! ANYTHING!

Third: You aren't fooling anybody by leaving off your GPA. If you have a bad GPA own it and show me why I should give you an interview anyway.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Be yourself and be sincere. Most of the company reps are using Engineers' Week to sell students on their company as well as looking for potential employees. Ask a lot of questions and enjoy the conversations you have with the reps. Take the process seriously, you never know what may come of it. My senior year, I talked to a lot of companies. One of them was Ford. I had a brief conversation with a rep at Engineers' Week and left my resume. It was nothing special, but that brief conversation turned into a phone interview, a plant trip and my first job.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Originally Posted by cmjh10
Dont go.
Apply on their website, because they won't be taking resumes or scheduling interviews at the career fair.
Fixed that for you.

[video=youtube;1zbBzO2RdqM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zbBzO2RdqM&app=desktop[/video]

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Having just worked a career fair last week - here's what I would say -

Have a nice leather or fake leather portfolio and plenty of copies of your resume. Nothing is more tacky and unprofessional than to watch you pull your resume out of a Kinko's bag or manilla folder.

Dress like you want the job - even if you don't own a suit, wear a shirt and tie and look like you care. Also, iron your clothes, or even better send your dress shirt to the cleaners.

Shine your shoes - yes we look at stuff like that when recruiting

Firm handshake - not that wimpy, clammy handshake

If you are going to collect trinkets and other stuff from employers, have a bag or something to carry it all in. We know those of you who are there just to get free stuff.

Look me in the eye when I talk to you - seriously can't tell you how many people look at the ground when you are talking to them.

Put your cell phone away, and shut it off.

Be yourself - we can tell when you are feeding us a line of garbage.

Last edited:

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I graduated in the college of business and I thought the engineering/business/LAS career fair were at the same time, is this not the case anymore?

In any case, here would be my advice
Include your GPA, in college that is pretty much all you have. Your club experiance are good to use in the interviews.
Dress professional, suit and tie.
Go to two or three companies to warm up and prepare yourself for the companies you are truly interested in.
Research the companies you are interested in before going and see what their internship programs are like, as well as departments you are interested in.
Bring plenty of resumes and keep an open mind to other companies/opportunities at the career fair. I graduated with a degree in Finance with the career goal of getting in to trading/investments. This narrow sight prevented me from looking at corporate finance internships/career until it was too late. Even today I am not in either field and am still looking, 3 years after graduation. (But I am getting my MBA to help me)
If you are young, try and remember people at the career fair. My Junior year I had an on campus interview with Boeing, but nothing happened due to the economy (fall 2008). Got an Internship with another company. Next year (fall 2009), I walked by the Boeing booth and the Boeing people remembered me, I did not even approach them they called me out! I talked to them at the next two career fairs (graduated in fall of 2010 due to my 6 month internship) but Boeing just was not in position to hire. Point is relationships!!! Build them so then you have more opportunities for your career.

My experiance with interviews, I would say that I signed up for all of my interviews at the career fair. I may have had one or two set before hand. Others were set up after the career fair as well as companies go through the pile and determine who to sign up for on campus interviews at a later date. Has this changed as well?

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
Im not involved in it but Ive interviewed a lot of people. dont wear a black suit, black shirt and red tie. Never wear a black shirt unless you are going to prom or are a ******* idiot. Wear a dress belt (skinny) not the one you got at american eagle for homecoming in high school. If you cant afford one, steal one. Do not wear a neon green shirt. Dont wear orange. tan pants tan socks, black pants black socks, blue pants blue socks. Clean your shoes you *******. Shoe polish costs like 3 dollars and will last you a lifetime. If you have an American eagle logo on your dress shirt I will **** punch you out the window. Bring a pile of resumes more than you would ever think you need. If you come into interview and there are 30 people in the room, yo ubetter have 30 resumes. IF your resume is over 1 page long gtfo. Our CEO resume is 1 page long. That was always our first cut, 50 resumes, 30 of them in the trash because more than one page. If you parked cars at a car dealership, dont say I parked cars, say I managed our inventory. Be creative, don't lie. Have your references already printed up on a sheet of paper and ready. If they have the same last name as you, youre not getting hired. The only ONLY jewelry you should have on is a watch. If I so much as see your cell phone its getting smashed. If I hear it, you're getting smashed. If you have a neck tattoo, kill yourself. On the drive to the interview, talk to yourself, ask yourself every question and then answer it. They will ask you some stupid question about "a time when you felt a certain way" overwhelmed, challenged ect, how did you overcome it. If you dont have a killer answer, make it up. THey have no way of knowing. But plan it out. Have prepared stories that you can make fit certain questions. If you are a hot chick, you will probably be hired.