Hawk Talk - Davenport Grid Club Today

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

clone2003

Sep 1, 2013
I was at the Davenport Grid Club Luncheon today and Gary Dolphin was the guest speaker.

Someone asked him about Ross Pierschbacher de-committing and he said that once a guy makes a decision to go to another school (verbals) that Kirk and staff immediately stops recruitment of that player ... I had to do everything in my power not to burst out in laughter! What a crock! Can you say Barkley Hill? (And countless others) He then went on to say that Pierschbacher hasn't heard the last from Kirk and staff. So which one is it Dolphin?

Dolphin was complimentary of our QB (Richardson) and said that he thinks the game will come down to their LBs making players. He also managed to confuse A.J. Klein with Jake Knott when speaking of last year's game-clinching INT by Knott vs. the Hoks.

I can't stand Dolphin (homer) and Podalak (drunk)!!!

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Dolphin has long been a joke in our family. Try listening to him call a football game. You never have any idea what is going on. Don't know where the ball is on the field. Don't know if that shout he just did was for a good Iowa play or a bad Iowa play. One time in a game against Northwestern it sounded as if the play had gone for small yards (like 5) and it actually went for 40. He's just not made out for his job and it surprises me that Iowa fans put up with that crap.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Dolphin has long been a joke in our family. Try listening to him call a football game. You never have any idea what is going on. Don't know where the ball is on the field. Don't know if that shout he just did was for a good Iowa play or a bad Iowa play. One time in a game against Northwestern it sounded as if the play had gone for small yards (like 5) and it actually went for 40. He's just not made out for his job and it surprises me that Iowa fans put up with that crap.

these are all reasonable reasons to hate on Dolph. But to hate him because he's a homer as if John Walters is some bastion of objectivity is laughable. His job is to be a homer.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
these are all reasonable reasons to hate on Dolph. But to hate him because he's a homer as if John Walters is some bastion of objectivity is laughable. His job is to be a homer.

I dont know about that. I have heard John take some shots at ISU performance more than a few times.

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com

We don't hate him because he's a homer; we hate him because he's a Hawkeye homer.

Reactions: Acylum

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

While I agree with this, I still hate Rima due to his over the top homerism.

Dolph and Podalak may be good if you're watching the game also, but listening on the radio is just confusing. Right in the middle of a play they'll start talking about a missed call and never really give the actual result of the play.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

Dolph and Rima are their respective university's apologists. They are both homers incapable of saying anything bad about anything within their programs. They will spin anything into a positive light. Walters is also a homer as he should be but will disparage ISU when he feels it necessary and has done so. Those to *** hats in eastern Iowa are incapable of doing that, thats why people hate them.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Dolph and Rima are their respective university's apologists. They are both homers incapable of saying anything bad about anything within their programs. They will spin anything into a positive light. Walters is also a homer as he should be but will disparage ISU when he feels it necessary and has done so. Those to *** hats in eastern Iowa are incapable of doing that, thats why people hate them.

I like John Walters but he is a homer. He will complain about a penalty forever. Basically, he is a fan who calls the game. And I completely understand why and don't fault him for it.

Pete Taylor is the gold standard of play-by-play announcers. He would tell it like it was. Walters is good but his Cyclone glasses are a bit thick from time-to-time. Most will love it. Personally, I just want the plays of the game.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Dolph is much, much worse however. Walters understands the school he works for. I remember when Fred Russell was a senior at Iowa. Dolph was on a ores radio show and said Iowa would have 5 first round picks that year, Russell included. Dude was like 5'5" or something.

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006

He is a terrible play-by-play guy. Football and basketball. Terrible. Unless you like to play a game where you guess what happened and then get the answer a minute later.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I like John Walters but he is a homer. He will complain about a penalty forever. Basically, he is a fan who calls the game. And I completely understand why and don't fault him for it.

Pete Taylor is the gold standard of play-by-play announcers. He would tell it like it was. Walters is good but his Cyclone glasses are a bit thick from time-to-time. Most will love it. Personally, I just want the plays of the game.
Totally agree. I've listened to a few other play-by-play announcers like Pete, but most are like John. When Pete was disappointed or mad at our play, you knew it. And he wouldn't be affected by Eric Heft trying to paint a rosier picture either.

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008

a homer is fine. Walters isn't a bumbling fool, like Zabel was, or Brooks, Dolphin, Jon Miller, Podolak, etc

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
Dolph is much, much worse however. Walters understands the school he works for. I remember when Fred Russell was a senior at Iowa. Dolph was on a ores radio show and said Iowa would have 5 first round picks that year, Russell included. Dude was like 5'5" or something.

I remember Podolak blubbering during a game that no one he has ever seen can stop and change directions like Russell

(uh huh,,,,,Barry Sanders...? nope.....Walter Payton? nope. Russell better than all of 'em:wideeyed:

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
While I agree with this, I still hate Rima due to his over the top homerism.

Dolph and Podalak may be good if you're watching the game also, but listening on the radio is just confusing. Right in the middle of a play they'll start talking about a missed call and never really give the actual result of the play.

There is a huge difference between what is needed on radio versus TV. Wasn't that brilliant Big Ten Network commentary during the Knott pick last year simply "oh crap" with no discussion of what occurred at all?:laugh:

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Pete could get the story across with just the inflection in his voice.
You knew happy time or sad time.
One of the all-time greats-no homer.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Why would you go listen to Dolphin speak? Was your family being held hostage or something?

This is an important question. Is the OP stupid? The facts point in that direction.

I'm kidding...or am I? I need a good reason for the attendance first.