Walters on KXEL with "Down Goes Kansas!"

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Madclone1

Oct 21, 2007
Gary Rheima ... When GR asked Walters how he felt about the UNI - ISU football series .. Walters stated, "it is good" and "should continue."

Reasons: sellout game. keeps money in state which is good for UNI (Walters).

Why can't we play Illinois or some other BIG school? Illinois reportedly has interest. IT would be a sell out game and if ISU loses ... not such an embarrassment.

The ISU/Iowa series is between equal division teams ... So the old, "Iowa should drop the ISU game" blather does not apply.

jtdoyle1

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
The reasons we play UNI...

-It is a home game every time we play = more money for us. If you play against an FBS team you will most likely have to have a home and home or at least a 2 for 1.

-It is almost a guaranteed sellout everytime even though it is against an FCS opponent = more money for us.

Let's not turn in to Hawkeye fans who want take their ball and go home when we lose. Let's just just the F up and win.

Edit: Plus, it is UNI's Super Bowl so we don't even want to win that bad.:jimlad:

Last edited:

Madclone1

Oct 21, 2007
The reasons we play UNI...

-It is a home game every time we play = more money for us. If you play against an FBS team you will most likely have to have a home and home or at least a 2 for 1.

-It is almost a guaranteed sellout everytime even though it is against an FCS opponent = more money for us.

Blather

I would much rather play Illinois than UNI ... So would the players I bet. It might get them READY for conference play.

Last edited:

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Would love to have a regular series with Illinois, even if it was just every few years.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Someone on this forum (I think) posted a link quoting their AD. He mentioned playing ISU. I read the link. Maybe someone here can re post it.

Was it Iowa State, or Illinois State. If he just said ISU, I would assume Illinois State, but honestly I have no information on any situation at all.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Playing Illinois and playing UNI aren't mutually exclusive. Illiniois or Minnesota would take the place of a game like Tulsa or whatever MAC/Conference USA/MWC school we have scheduled every year. Not our FCS game.

jtdoyle1

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I would much rather play Illinois than UNI ... So would the players i bet. It might get them READY for conference play.

In theory, I would much rather play a team like Minnesota or Illinois but that means losing a home game every other year. The reasons FBS teams play FCS teams is to guarantee a relatively cheap home game every year.

It's like saying," I don't want to play all these teams I've never heard of in the basketball non-conference schedule." If you do that, plan on giving up half of your home games.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
With the current state of the football program at Illinois I'd be surprised that they would want another BCS conference team on their schedule.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I would much rather play Illinois than UNI ... So would the players i bet. It might get them READY for conference play.

Even though UNI has proven to be a formidable FCS opponent over the years, with our 9 game conference schedule, the last thing we need to do is play another major conference FBS school. We especially don't want to do it while teams in conferences like the SEC only play an 8 game conference schedule with around 3 of the 4 non-conference games being major cupcakes. Lets face it, ISU needs wins to make bowl games and get on the radar no matter what it takes to get them. We already always have top 10 SOS year in and year out. When wins matter more than SOS in a program like ours, why make things harder than they already are? We aren't exactly a USC/Alabama/Texas where SOS matters a bunch for national title consideration.

Reactions: Judoka

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
I would love to get some sort of home and home rotation with Minnesota, Illinois and Northwestern. But I don't see it happening unless college goes to a 14 game schedule. Unless the Iowa series ends we are booked until 2020 for non-con games, I don't see us spending the cash to buy out of games either.

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
In theory, I would much rather play a team like Minnesota or Illinois but that means losing a home game every other year. The reasons FBS teams play FCS teams is to guarantee a relatively cheap home game every year.

It's like saying," I don't want to play all these teams I've never heard of in the basketball non-conference schedule." If you do that, plan on giving up half of your home games.

If we were to ever schedule these teams we would keep our FCS game and get rid of the home and home games with teams like Toledo, San Jose State and Akron. That way we aren't losing the home game we get with a FCS team.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
If you cannot beat UNI, you need to make some changes. UNI home game attendance, athletic budget, rivals stars do not compare. Four losses to UNI hints of impotence. We must never let this happen again. We need to beat on UNI in the future like that proverbial big drum. Make it so, Paul.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I wish we could play Coe, Wartburg, and Drake.

In all seriousness, I am ok with UNI for the reasons stated (in state, good for all, etc), but would prefer we find schools to come here....even if that means giving them a hint more money to not have to return the game.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
We keep UNI but drop the MAC teams that want a home and home series in a 1:1 swap. Schedule Minnesota or Illinois instead.