Here is a thought

stretchclone

Jan 1, 2008
SW Iowa
Yes, we have some inexperienced kids playing right now. But think about this....
1. If Farniok didn't go down, I am sure we would have had better chemistry on the line, Sam wouldn't have been sacked or hurried as much as he was. And... maybe, just maybe, we could have opened up a few more holes for our backs.

2. If Luke Knott and Jansen Watson started, we might not have given up as many points

3. If we don't miss 2 long field goals and cash in on a TD instead of a Netten field goal, things might be different.

I agree on the play calling, in fact I said to my wife that last years offense was better.

But here is my question.....
How many of you would agree that if we played UNI again at the end of the season (considering my 3 points) that we would look way better, find a way to control their back, and would win by atleast 10 points????????
Seriously think about this. I don't like to make excuses, but come on think about it. There was some negatives last night, but there were a lot of positives also. WE WILL GET BETTER!!!!!

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
Good news is we may have found a solid kicker with Netten. I imagine the job is his now after last night

AMarner32

Jul 11, 2013
Good news is we may have found a solid kicker with Netten. I imagine the job is his now after last night

Arceo got screwed there though. He had a 40-something yarder and a 54-yard attempt. Netten hit a 38-yarder which was good, but I wish we would've gone for it on 4th and 4 instead of taking the 22-yard attempt. Either way, Arceo had the harder opportunities and got punished for missing. I wish they would've gone with Arceo for the last two kicks.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Arceo got screwed there though. He had a 40-something yarder and a 54-yard attempt. Netten hit a 38-yarder which was good, but I wish we would've gone for it on 4th and 4 instead of taking the 22-yard attempt. Either way, Arceo had the harder opportunities and got punished for missing. I wish they would've gone with Arceo for the last two kicks.

Areceo's kicks were not short, they were wide.

Ry4Cy

Nov 4, 2010
Ankeny
I don't know anything about kicking but there was a TERRIBLE snap on Arceos first kick and the second looked like he clipped the ground or something

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I can't for the life of me understand why we even attempt 40+ yard field goals. Attempting that 54 yarder was one of the worst coaching decisions Rhoads has ever made. We still had a time out, and our chances of getting a first down were clearly higher than making that.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I can't for the life of me understand why we even attempt 40+ yard field goals. Attempting that 54 yarder was one of the worst coaching decisions Rhoads has ever made. We still had a time out, and our chances of getting a first down were clearly higher than making that.

While I completely agree on the decision to kick the 54-yarder, Arceo has proven he can make 40+ yarders, so I see no reason not to attempt them if the situation arises.

Last edited:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Yes, we have some inexperienced kids playing right now. But think about this....
1. If Farniok didn't go down, I am sure we would have had better chemistry on the line, Sam wouldn't have been sacked or hurried as much as he was. And... maybe, just maybe, we could have opened up a few more holes for our backs.

2. If Luke Knott and Jansen Watson started, we might not have given up as many points

3. If we don't miss 2 long field goals and cash in on a TD instead of a Netten field goal, things might be different.

I agree on the play calling, in fact I said to my wife that last years offense was better.

How many of you would agree that if we played UNI again at the end of the season (considering my 3 points) that we would look way better, find a way to control their back, and would win by atleast 10 points????????
Seriously think about this. I don't like to make excuses, but come on think about it. There was some negatives last night, but there were a lot of positives also. WE WILL GET BETTER!!!!!
The defense has more upside than the offense unless the playcalling changes. We run our plays from a well read novel. Everyone has read it. One double reverse about surprised the hell out of UNI. Lord mercy, we did one double reverse.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010

Stuff happens in games, like the Farniok injury. That's football. Still can't believe our O-line was unable to pull it together after that, though. That is the most troubling thing about last night, the degree to which one key injury completely changed (in a negative way) the effectiveness of the O-line group the rest of the game.

That position group, which I thought would be serviceable this year, really has some problems, I think. But you go to battle with the guys you've got. Hopefully they can improve, and fast!

Last edited:

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I'd say it's a wash, chance of converting the first down is maybe 50% at best.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Don't see how anyone can give Arceo any love.

His first kick, though long, was set up so all he had to do was kick it straight. No angles at all

His second try was closer to the Northwest hill than the Jacobson building.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Losing Farniok had to hurt. The center usually calls out the blocking schemes. Especially, an experienced one. Second half offense would have been better. I am disappointed too, but I've seen too many gonad kicks to give up. The players feel worse than us, so show them some encouragement.

CychoCyclone

Oct 27, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Heres a thought... maybe it wasn't just one thing last night that is the reason we lost... #1 is we didn't tackle... I mean that's a major issue, johnson was breaking tackle after tackle and we just can't have that... #2 our playcalling was yet again basic, bland and had absolutely no misdirection... no attempt to force the defense to have to wonder what we were gonna do... mess is awful in my opinion, and I've been in that boat since pretty much right away last year, and he's done nothing to prove me wrong... #3 our line play on both sides of the ball was pathetic, where's all this strength and conditioning and great new facilities crap I keep hearing about at... we got shoved around like a jv team playing against varsity... #4 there were some guys we were really missing... I think the one we missed the most was jansen watson, seemed like richardson was out of place a lot and was just so undersized he couldn't hold his own (I won't use his size as an excuse since jeremy reeves overcame it) but it just seemed to be the fact... but also losing farniok and brun didn't help... but all in all #5 is, we just got plain out outcoached... it really did look like the coaches thought we could just show up and blow them out, we weren't prepared whatsoever... they overpowered us in the trenches, they had a good gameplan offense and defense, they knew our personnel, they were absolutely prepared for us... and that's on the coaches all the way across the board... in no way, shape or form should we get essentially dominated by an fcs opponent at home...

atlantacyclone

Sep 29, 2007
Fontvieille Monaco
No doubt we will get better this season. If we had any of CPR's previous teams I would say that we have a shot at an 8 win season. Things can get better, the problem is our competition is going to be 10 times better .. can we be 10 times better?:twitcy:

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
here are my thoughts: 4th and 5 or a 54 yard FG with a shaky kicker. I know what I would have done. I guess I have really questioned some of the choices that the coaches made last night. QB returning kicks really looked like a bad idea to me, not because he is invaluable as a WR, but because AW just screams to be the right guy for the job to us uneducated, casual fans. How about running a sweep into the teeth of the UNI defense with the biggest and slowest RB for a 2nd and goal play? The OP has a few good points, but, in the end, the coaches need to get their head in the game, really sorry how bad ISU was outcoached last night.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
here are my thoughts: 4th and 5 or a 54 yard FG with a shaky kicker. I know what I would have done. I guess I have really questioned some of the choices that the coaches made last night. QB returning kicks really looked like a bad idea to me, not because he is invaluable as a WR, but because AW just screams to be the right guy for the job to us uneducated, casual fans. How about running a sweep into the teeth of the UNI defense with the biggest and slowest RB for a 2nd and goal play? The OP has a few good points, but, in the end, the coaches need to get their head in the game, really sorry how bad ISU was outcoached last night.
The sweep really stood out, he had just plowed ahead 3 yards straight ahead on 1st down, why not run that play twice and take your td.