Capezio Seems the Real Deal

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Seems losing Malloy maybe didn't hurt too bad. Capezio getting lots of swings in first matches, and also had 20 digs in 2 matches. Think maybe coach has found that front row/back row player she has been talking about needing.

I wouldn't be surprised if she is Big 12 Frosh of the Week.

Has an aggressive serve too, but needs a little more control.

85clone

Jan 2, 2010
In before "easy on the eyes" Oh wait, too late.

Seriously, nice start ladies. Have a great season. Go Cyclones!

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
Yeah we discussed this a little bit in the Gameday thread yesterday. Ciara is already a better back row player than Malloy.

Andie was maybe a little more versatile but Capezio should have a great year!

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I don't know much about volleyball, just follow as a dumb fan, but a gal in her first couple of matches that can get that many kills and still dig that many balls at 6'-3" certainly appears to be your "real deal". I like the stats that showed even though she cooled way off on the kills and hitting in the second match that she still had 10 plus digs (nice!). If you are the best HS player from any of the midwest states you are going to be pretty darn good.

Will be a good experience for her and the red-shirts today when we play A&M.

:smile:

Last edited:

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
sounds like were having a little trouble hitting around the block today :skeptical:

Capezio especially had that problem in scrimmage. And now we're on our third game in less than 24 hours, and this team is a much better team than the two yesterday. Going to be quite a bit more of a test.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Capezio especially had that problem in scrimmage. And now we're on our third game in less than 24 hours, and this team is a much better team than the two yesterday. Going to be quite a bit more of a test.

And with a freshman, several red-shirts and new setter things might not be as good now as they will be later.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Seems losing Malloy maybe didn't hurt too bad. Capezio getting lots of swings in first matches, and also had 20 digs in 2 matches. Think maybe coach has found that front row/back row player she has been talking about needing.
Don't know that Capezio has that "terminator" vertical jump and power that Malloy possesses. Those players are hard to come by. Nonetheless, it's amazing how Capezio basically fell into CJL''s lap, after Minnesota's coach McCutcheon told her he didn't want her...

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Yeah it was. So glad they didn't go to a fifth set. Great win!

you and me both! I need to leave right now to find a dress for a wedding TODAY because I waited too long to try on what I planned to wear and found out it doesn't look good. Whoops.

I don't know how they do the weekly awards (which games will count as part of the "week"), but Bigbee should get offensive player, she's been stellar all three games.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest

I think this will come in time and with experience.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Don't know that Capezio has that "terminator" vertical jump and power that Malloy possesses. Those players are hard to come by. Nonetheless, it's amazing how Capezio basically fell into CJL''s lap, after Minnesota's coach McCutcheon told her he didn't want her...

Malloy's hitting percentage was under 200. I wouldn't call that terminator stats.

Malloy is a tremendous volleyball player and athlete, and I am sad we lost her, but at least we have options.

I have always wished for us to have a 6 5 or 6 6 over the top terminator, but those players will likely continue to go to Texas, Stanford, and PSU.

Frankly, our biggest weakness seems to me to continue to be transition blocking.

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
I think this will come in time and with experience.

Capezio only had 2 kills today with a hitting percentage of -.125, so there was a drop-off from yesterday. They may have been taking her away with their service game, though. We'll need her, that's for sure, with all the other things she does well. I think an issue for her will be strength, and that can obviously be increased.

aTm was only playing their second match, so they may have been a little fresher.

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
Yeah I really like that Capezio had a little chance to rest and just play back row for most of today's match.

Kuhrt did a great job playing a full rotation. So many service errors by the team today! But a few aces too!

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Malloy's hitting percentage was under 200. I wouldn't call that terminator stats.
She was a starter at OH on the US junior national team this summer, along with Stanford and Nebraska players on the front line. Yeah, she's a terminator. Our own Caitlin Nolan (L) was on the team too, and raved about Malloy's play. Of course, then she left.